Serendipity/Sudden, Fortunate Discoveries

ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3202
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Serendipity/Sudden, Fortunate Discoveries

Post  ameliorate on Fri May 30, 2014 4:14 pm

I would like to start a thread on this so we can share our experiences of serendipity.....it is when something
    happens that was unexpected but like a happy discovery.

Last week I was unable to take a shortcut due to a blockage with building work.  So it was that I had to make
    a longer detour to go home.  I came to an antiques shop and went in.  I have been searching for a particular
    kind of chair that I needed for a very long time now....you guessed it, it was there!  I was delighted.  It felt
    fated
    - like a guiding hand had led me there.

Would you like to share your experiences of serendipity?
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Re: Serendipity/Sudden, Fortunate Discoveries

Post  SpiritVoices on Fri May 30, 2014 4:47 pm

Mine was finding an old friend from 50 odd years ago.

Strange how I found her.     Went back to Australia for a year after Ken died.  I was in touch with a net friend who lived in New South Wales.  
    We were chatting on the phone and talking about our working days when I mentioned the old friend and wondered how she was.
    Had never heard from her for 50 years.

I was asked where she lived and I said Perth in Oz.   
    I said I had lost her full address.

What was her full name?  I told her.

There was a gasp!   She said 'I know her,she lives in the same street as my sister!'
    She offered to get in touch with her sister and next day I had a phone call from my old friend!

We talked for two hours on the phone and still keep in touch now and again...
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Fri May 30, 2014 5:18 pm

SpiritVoices wrote:Mine was finding an old friend from 50 odd years ago.

Strange how I found her.     Went back to Australia for a year after Ken died.  I was in touch with a net friend who lived in New South Wales.  
    We were chatting on the phone and talking about our working days when I mentioned the old friend and wondered how she was.
    Had never heard from her for 50 years.

I was asked where she lived and I said Perth in Oz.   
    I said I had lost her full address.

What was her full name?  I told her.

There was a gasp!   She said 'I know her,she lives in the same street as my sister!'
    She offered to get in touch with her sister and next day I had a phone call from my old friend!

We talked for two hours on the phone and still keep in touch now and again...
    Wow!  That's an excellent example of serendipity.  I wonder how you felt when you were told that she lived in the same street as the sister of your net friend?  Did you also feel the hand of fate there?  Like it was meant to be?  Guided to this experience?
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices on Fri May 30, 2014 5:46 pm

I always have believed that events happen for a reason....
    Why I don't know.    We met years ago in Brisbane starting a new job together.
    One small event happened.   Her husband was a lay preacher but worked at an insurance company...
    We decided to hold a party and were a little concerned about inviting them as her husband was a teetotaller.    We took the chance and what a party that was!

The best party we ever had.... :giggles: 
    He wouldn't drink alcohol but used to drink 'root' beer,I think it is called.
    He was the life and soul of the party!
    Put us all to shame....a fantastic couple... :grin:
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Fri May 30, 2014 6:11 pm

I can share what is a better example of my personal experience with serendipity.

It was at a traumatic time when my mother had yet another stroke. I had been a part time carer for her (8 years) but this was about to change to moving in with her, i.e. becoming a full time carer. An unusual occurrence took place at that time.

My sister's ex boyfriend - after some 40 years - had sought to contact her via facebook. He had just lost his wife and was seeking solace in past memories. As luck would have it he lived local to me and fondly remembered my mum; I was touched that he visited her in hospital. So, at a time that I most needed it, I was suddenly bestowed with a new local and supportive friend who also happened to have been a carer (for his wife). That was some 2 years ago now and he is still a good friend!
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices on Fri May 30, 2014 9:17 pm

That's what I call 'meetings' meant to be,not accidental at all.
    For some unknown reason we are meant to meet for a purpose....
    I wonder why?  Another stepping stone in our lives?
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 pm

Well, the difference between a coincidence and synchronicity is that the latter is a meaningful coincidence -
    as coined by Jung.
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24331
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Sat May 31, 2014 12:45 am

I hope to add to this soon, I can't bring anything to mind just yet but it happens.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices on Sat May 31, 2014 10:42 am

ameliorate wrote:Well, the difference between a coincidence and synchronicity is that the latter is a meaningful coincidence -
    as coined by Jung.
    You are correct,Amy....When I find a pattern in life,I feel that the episode was meant to happen and we cannot change that happening.
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sat May 31, 2014 4:28 pm

SpiritVoices wrote:
    ameliorate wrote:Well, the difference between a coincidence and synchronicity is that the latter is a meaningful coincidence -
    as coined by Jung.
    You are correct,Amy....When I find a pattern in life,I feel that the episode was meant to happen and we cannot change that happening.
    Well, I can't take any credit for this since I was just sharing Jung's definition of synchronicity.
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Today I saw someone who facially reminded me of my mother (who died last November).  It got to me and was a stark reminder of how she is no longer part of the current world/reality.

Later, I found something discarded that gave me comfort; a tall, graceful bunch of fabric white lilies...nothing wrong with them!   The discovery was more marked due to the fact that, on my mother's coffin, were white lillies but still in bud i.e. none of them opened - which upset me at the time.  It felt like a healing that I should find these today, so soon after feeling delicate and tearful over her.
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1179
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Who needs mediums for messages when they exist all around us. It sounds like a beautiful message you were given today Ame :love:

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 3580
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:08 pm

Perhaps traditional mediums are almost a dying breed?  Members of other websites often seek ways they can communicate directly with loved ones or recognise for themselves signs and symbols they encounter in their everyday lives....

Maybe that will be the future, with mediumship dropping even further out of favour?
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:43 pm

mac wrote:Perhaps traditional mediums are almost a dying breed?  Members of other websites often seek ways they can communicate directly with loved ones or recognise for themselves signs and symbols they encounter in their everyday lives....

Maybe that will be the future, with mediumship dropping even further out of favour?
    When I made the post above, today, I did so just in terms of serendipity and the feeling of healing/comfort from the lillies - the link being that they were the same flowers as that on my mother's coffin. 

Until Blueanchor suggested that it was a sign/message from my mother, this did not occur to me....and gave me pause for thought i.e. wondering if this could be the case.  So I was not seeking for a sign/communication from her which is what you are suggesting here.

Presumably you are familiar with mediums operating in spiritualist churches.  Is it a dying art?  Less demand?  I have heard that there can be eavesdropping when the general public engage in conversation, before the event actually begins, i.e. that significant clues can be relayed to the medium.  I don't know if this is common practise.  It would be easy to expose this practise, i.e. deliberately talk about a fictitious situation and see whether this is brought up/relayed by a medium!

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 am

ameliorate wrote:
    mac wrote:Perhaps traditional mediums are almost a dying breed?  Members of other websites often seek ways they can communicate directly with loved ones or recognise for themselves signs and symbols they encounter in their everyday lives....

When I made the post above, today, I did so just in terms of serendipity and the feeling of healing/comfort from the lillies - the link being that they were the same flowers as that on my mother's coffin. 

Until Blueanchor suggested that it was a sign/message from my mother, this did not occur to me....and gave me pause for thought i.e. wondering if this could be the case.  So I was not seeking for a sign/communication from her which is what you are suggesting here.

Presumably you are familiar with mediums operating in spiritualist churches.  Is it a dying art?  Less demand?  I have heard that there can be eavesdropping when the general public engage in conversation, before the event actually begins, i.e. that significant clues can be relayed to the medium.  I don't know if this is common practise.  It would be easy to expose this practise, i.e. deliberately talk about a fictitious situation and see whether this is brought up/relayed by a medium!

My words were intended simply as a response to the posting that read: "Who needs mediums for messages when they exist all around us. It sounds like a beautiful message you were given today Ame."  I had not intended to imply you had been seeking a sign or communication.

Yes I am familiar with the operation of Spiritualist churches and centres but I can't tell you if mediumship is a dying art or whether there's less demand for it.  I suspect neither is the case but couldn't provide any supporting evidence for that stance.  My view is that the mediums who serve the church circuits are unlikely to try to 'harvest' details about their audience but who knows for sure what every practitioner does in every situation? 

Testing a practitioner as you've suggested might indeed reveal fraud were fictitious detail to be relayed back as communication.
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1179
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 am

My response to Ame was an expression of happiness in hearing the events and the message that she shared. 

I don't want to take away from that by getting into a discussion with you about mediumship on this thread.
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 am

Blueanchor wrote:My response to Ame was an expression of happiness in hearing the events and the message that she shared. 

I don't want to take away from that by getting into a discussion with you about mediumship on this thread.
    Thank you for your response.  It did make me think further!.....

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 am

Blueanchor wrote:My response to Ame was an expression of happiness in hearing the events and the message that she shared. 

Then don't get into a discussion.  My posting was simply my response, no reply expected.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 am