A forum for seekers everywhere...


    mediumship

    Share

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    mediumship

    Post  mac on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:11 pm

    First topic message reminder :

    A words of explanation for anyone unfamiliar with these subjects. 

    This forum is titled 'Mediumship' but a so-called reading is not necessarily mediumship and may not involve communications from spirits. Traditional mediumship is however.


    If you get a reading from someone you might want to consider what it's supposed to mean and where any information is coming from.  The person to ask, of course, is the one who gave the reading who should readily explain these things.
    avatar
    Crystal
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1247
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Crystal on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:31 pm

    Skye2 wrote:
    I agree mac, it isn't easy for anyone. Word of mouth is usually the best way to seek a reputable practitioner but even this may not be of help to everyone.    

    Before the internet that was really all there was. Everyone knew who the healers, readers and mediums were and they did not need to advertise, in fact for many they were secretive and arcane, often hiding their true talents too. They were few and far between with real and strong natural abilities.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:Yes, absolutely, but are they practitioners? T........
    What matters is if their efforts mislead others - I don't care if they're misleading themselves.

    What did I miss, what did you ask about Tarot? Or should we start another thread so not to distract from mediumship?
     I don't know what you missed but in summary I asked Tarot practitioners to explain exactly what it is that they do.  I asked a similar set of questions on a number of websites. 

    By all means start a different thread because discussing Tarot would be a distraction from the topic of this one.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:27 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    Skye2 wrote:
    I agree mac, it isn't easy for anyone. Word of mouth is usually the best way to seek a reputable practitioner but even this may not be of help to everyone.    

    Before the internet that was really all there was. Everyone knew who the healers, readers and mediums were and they did not need to advertise, in fact for many they were secretive and arcane, often hiding their true talents too. They were few and far between with real and strong natural abilities.
     Partly correct.  Word of mouth was certainly helpful but newspapers and magazines carried reports and advertisements and it's conjecture to claim that  "...for many they were secretive and arcane, often hiding their true talents too."  Perhaps that's just how it appeared to be because certainly not "everyone" knew the situation.

    It's conjecture too whether healers, mediums and readers were few and far between or whether their talents were authentic or natural.  Only studying in depth would give any meaningful insight into the situation when Spiritualism was the main place to find mediums and healers for many decades. (I'm not sure what 'reader' actually means)

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  skye on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:19 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    Skye2 wrote:
    I agree mac, it isn't easy for anyone. Word of mouth is usually the best way to seek a reputable practitioner but even this may not be of help to everyone.    

    Before the internet that was really all there was. Everyone knew who the healers, readers and mediums were and they did not need to advertise, in fact for many they were secretive and arcane, often hiding their true talents too. They were few and far between with real and strong natural abilities.
    I know there were good and bad practitioners before the internet. I believe this will always be the case too. Word of mouth helps those seeking a medium in the local vicinity, yet, for those living a distance away or perhaps in another country, it may not be of any use. The internet does have positives as well as negatives. People can now access information that before may not have been easily available to them. Research will enable them to read information and then act with their instinct as to whether a particular medium is worth spending their hard earned money on. 

    Unfortunately (although some would say fortunately) progress has meant the old style of teaching is unpopular with a majority of people. This has led to a decline in standards both privately and within some Spiritual Churches. 

    Totally of track here and I understand it's said for a specific reason - to safeguard the public - but I do believe such words as 'For Entertainment Purposes Only' has a negative impact on mediumship.
    avatar
    Auras
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1997
    Age : 19
    Location : United Kingdom, Liverpool.
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Auras on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm


     I don't know what you missed but in summary I asked Tarot practitioners to explain exactly what it is that they do.  I asked a similar set of questions on a number of websites

    Why would you ask that when you clearly know that everyone reads tarot in so many different ways? The way that suits them best. What is the purpose of it all? What do you gain from it? Knowledge, Understanding?

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:59 pm

    Auras wrote:

     I don't know what you missed but in summary I asked Tarot practitioners to explain exactly what it is that they do.  I asked a similar set of questions on a number of websites

    Why would you ask that when you clearly know that everyone reads tarot in so many different ways? The way that suits them best. What is the purpose of it all? What do you gain from it? Knowledge, Understanding?
    Why would I ask that you say....?

     I have explained elsewhere that I only write about what I understand and I ask questions about the things I don't.  The ones best positioned to answer the question I posed are those who say they are Tarot practitioners.  I don't know anything of the sort you've suggested above; I know nothing about Tarot save for the bits I have read and often they're garbled and inconsistent. 

    As a methodical, analytical person I hope for a structured explanation that's simple for me.  That way I personally might gain some insight into what Tarot actually does and what value it may have.  Others may also be seeking similar understanding so it might help them too and open up a discussion thread where they could raise their own questions.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 pm

    skye wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    Skye2 wrote:
    I agree mac, it isn't easy for anyone. Word of mouth is usually the best way to seek a reputable practitioner but even this may not be of help to everyone.    

    Before the internet that was really all there was. Everyone knew who the healers, readers and mediums were and they did not need to advertise, in fact for many they were secretive and arcane, often hiding their true talents too. They were few and far between with real and strong natural abilities.
    I know there were good and bad practitioners before the internet. I believe this will always be the case too. Word of mouth helps those seeking a medium in the local vicinity, yet, for those living a distance away or perhaps in another country, it may not be of any use. The internet does have positives as well as negatives. People can now access information that before may not have been easily available to them. Research will enable them to read information and then act with their instinct as to whether a particular medium is worth spending their hard earned money on. 

    Unfortunately (although some would say fortunately) progress has meant the old style of teaching is unpopular with a majority of people. This has led to a decline in standards both privately and within some Spiritual Churches. 

    Totally of track here and I understand it's said for a specific reason - to safeguard the public - but I do believe such words as 'For Entertainment Purposes Only' has a negative impact on mediumship.
    The World Wide Web has made possible communication on a scale almost unimaginable not so very long ago.  This current generation may never have known anything different from our 'always on' world, the ability to contact anyone, anywhere, any time via smart phone, tablet or computer. (save for those who encounter the nuisance of time differences between countries) 

    Yet when I 'speak', as regularly I do, to forum members in the USA the Internet has little to offer in terms of locating a reliable medium.  In truth a medium in the USA may be so different from those in the UK as to make it seem we're speaking about wholly different things!   Even where there is information, though, it's only as relevant as the knowledge and experience of those who post it allows.  Little difference, then, from word of mouth or adverts. We still have a parochial situation if we seek a medium's help.


    I know I bang on about this time after time but what I find online time are situations where those I am engaging with have little understanding of the fundamentals.  They may see psychism as mediumship and have little understanding about life, death and survival.  The Internet seemingly does little to illuminate their ignorance and may even mislead.  In many ways that's totally understandable.  Only what's been posted can be found and the diamonds are concealed in the mud.  Even where good information is available one needs to know where to look and there's so much dross that finding it can take a very long time and much effort, even when using today's wonderful search engines.  We have information overload.

    The legislation that demands mediums say a sitting is "for entertainment only" probably does little harm as many approach it from that direction anyway.  For serious seekers the situation can be explained by knowledgeable and conscientious practitioners with no harm done in my view.

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  skye on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:31 pm

    mac wrote:
    skye wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    Skye2 wrote:
    I agree mac, it isn't easy for anyone. Word of mouth is usually the best way to seek a reputable practitioner but even this may not be of help to everyone.    

    Before the internet that was really all there was. Everyone knew who the healers, readers and mediums were and they did not need to advertise, in fact for many they were secretive and arcane, often hiding their true talents too. They were few and far between with real and strong natural abilities.
    I know there were good and bad practitioners before the internet. I believe this will always be the case too. Word of mouth helps those seeking a medium in the local vicinity, yet, for those living a distance away or perhaps in another country, it may not be of any use. The internet does have positives as well as negatives. People can now access information that before may not have been easily available to them. Research will enable them to read information and then act with their instinct as to whether a particular medium is worth spending their hard earned money on. 

    Unfortunately (although some would say fortunately) progress has meant the old style of teaching is unpopular with a majority of people. This has led to a decline in standards both privately and within some Spiritual Churches. 

    Totally of track here and I understand it's said for a specific reason - to safeguard the public - but I do believe such words as 'For Entertainment Purposes Only' has a negative impact on mediumship.
    The World Wide Web has made possible communication on a scale almost unimaginable not so very long ago.  This current generation may never have known anything different from our 'always on' world, the ability to contact anyone, anywhere, any time via smart phone, tablet or computer. (save for those who encounter the nuisance of time differences between countries) 

    Yet when I 'speak', as regularly I do, to forum members in the USA the Internet has little to offer in terms of locating a reliable medium.  In truth a medium in the USA may be so different from those in the UK as to make it seem we're speaking about wholly different things!   Even where there is information, though, it's only as relevant as the knowledge and experience of those who post it allows.  Little difference, then, from word of mouth or adverts. We still have a parochial situation if we seek a medium's help.


    I know I bang on about this time after time but what I find online time are situations where those I am engaging with have little understanding of the fundamentals.  They may see psychism as mediumship and have little understanding about life, death and survival.  The Internet seemingly does little to illuminate their ignorance and may even mislead.  In many ways that's totally understandable.  Only what's been posted can be found and the diamonds are concealed in the mud.  Even where good information is available one needs to know where to look and there's so much dross that finding it can take a very long time and much effort, even when using today's wonderful search engines.  We have information overload.

    The legislation that demands mediums say a sitting is "for entertainment only" probably does little harm as many approach it from that direction anyway.  For serious seekers the situation can be explained by knowledgeable and conscientious practitioners with no harm done in my view.


    I actually assumed Lily Dale, or similar organisations, would have had a list of reputable mediums, in various states throughout the USA. I know of one medium, living in the USA, whose style of working is in contrast to that of some UK mediums. So, perhaps you do make a valid point about there being differences.
     
    I also understand your comments about the information overload on the internet. Separating the wheat from the chaff, could be viewed as being an impossible task, with people's knowledge and experience differing considerably. 

    On a personal note, had I not been directed to a SNU Spiritualist Church, in the past, I would have experienced and no doubt accepted misleading information, that has no value or worth. This in theory may have done me no real harm, although, I wonder if it may have discouraged me from further participation.


    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:00 pm

    "The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field."

    good points
    avatar
    Crystal
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1247
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Crystal on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:01 pm

    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    If by legislation you mean the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 amended 2013 then there is nothing in that act that dictates the use of a disclaimer. What it does do and which is what I think is the crucial point is that now the medium or any trader has to prove they are real and not fraudulently acting or faking. One of the laws this act repeals is the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 which said that it was the seeker/recipient that had to be able to prove fraudulence and fakery and not the medium.

    Disclaimers aren't mandatory and are still being tested in law. A few cases have come about where the 'medium' has not been able to prove they are real and they have been penalised, but it is entirely up to the trader to decide if they use a disclaimer. Of course saying that whatever they are doing is just for entertainment should in theory (but not always in practice) indemnify them from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:28 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    avatar
    Auras
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1997
    Age : 19
    Location : United Kingdom, Liverpool.
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Auras on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 pm

    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    They would provide they are real by providing accurate evidence. That's it.

    But, In my understanding, I believe that proof is suppose to provided. If people think your fake, You have nothing to prove nothing but to yourself.

    You will most likely, Here lot's of people say they are a medium on the internet, As you have lot's of things to back-up for there assumptions. Like, Facebook, You could look at pictures of there deceased ect.

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  skye on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:18 pm

    Auras wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    They would provide they are real by providing accurate evidence. That's it.

    But, In my understanding, I believe that proof is suppose to provided. If people think your fake, You have nothing to prove nothing but to yourself.

    You will most likely, Here lot's of people say they are a medium on the internet, As you have lot's of things to back-up for there assumptions. Like, Facebook, You could look at pictures of there deceased ect.

    In practice, a spiritual medium is expected to deliver accurate evidence of our survival. However, the question Crystal asked was, In theory' how can a medium prove they are real? 

    Also, as a demonstration of mediumship is an experiment, no guarantee of communication can ever be given.

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  skye on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:26 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    ... In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?

     This I imagine would not be easy.
    avatar
    Auras
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1997
    Age : 19
    Location : United Kingdom, Liverpool.
    Registration date : 2012-05-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Auras on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:41 pm

    skye wrote:
    Auras wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    They would provide they are real by providing accurate evidence. That's it.

    But, In my understanding, I believe that proof is suppose to provided. If people think your fake, You have nothing to prove nothing but to yourself.

    You will most likely, Here lot's of people say they are a medium on the internet, As you have lot's of things to back-up for there assumptions. Like, Facebook, You could look at pictures of there deceased ect.

    In practice, a spiritual medium is expected to deliver accurate evidence of our survival. However, the question Crystal asked was, In theory' how can a medium prove they are real? 

    Also, as a demonstration of mediumship is an experiment, no guarantee of communication can ever be given.
    Basically, You have just stated that mediumship is an experiment....

    To me it is not.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:57 pm

    Auras wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    They would provide they are real by providing accurate evidence. That's it.

    But, In my understanding, I believe that proof is suppose to provided. If people think your fake, You have nothing to prove nothing but to yourself.

    You will most likely, Here lot's of people say they are a medium on the internet, As you have lot's of things to back-up for there assumptions. Like, Facebook, You could look at pictures of there deceased ect.
    You can say and do what you like (provided it's not offensive etc) but when you make a charge for the service you claim to provide, consumer law will apply...  When there's a dispute over the service provided the practitioner may face a claim for failure to deliver if they can't show their service met the claims made for it - similar to other consumer law. 

    As I suggested earlier there may have to be a legal framework for what mediumship is supposed to provide.  Perhaps I'm wrong if there is already such a definition - what do professional mediums have to say about this?

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:58 pm

    skye wrote:
    Crystal wrote:
    skye wrote:
    The reason why I say legislation has a negative impact is because in my warped way of thinking, it may initially give the wrong impression to the recently bereaved when they read or see the words and literally believe them. Obviously mediums with integrity welcome the legislation with open arms as it prevents charlatans from carrying out their fraudulent work and doing more harm than good to both the seeker and to those working in the mediumistic field.

    ... In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?

     This I imagine would not be easy.
    And what does 'real' mean legally until there's a clear definition of mediumship etc?

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3495
    Age : 70
    Location : Valley of the Sun, Arizona
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: mediumship

    Post  mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:03 pm

    Auras wrote:
    skye wrote:
    Auras wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    They would provide they are real by providing accurate evidence. That's it.

    But, In my understanding, I believe that proof is suppose to provided. If people think your fake, You have nothing to prove nothing but to yourself.

    You will most likely, Here lot's of people say they are a medium on the internet, As you have lot's of things to back-up for there assumptions. Like, Facebook, You could look at pictures of there deceased ect.

    In practice, a spiritual medium is expected to deliver accurate evidence of our survival. However, the question Crystal asked was, In theory' how can a medium prove they are real? 

    Also, as a demonstration of mediumship is an experiment, no guarantee of communication can ever be given.
    Basically, You have just stated that mediumship is an experiment....

    To me it is not.
    The suggested disclaimers state that it is an experiment because communication can not be guaranteed.  And absolutely no medium ever could, can now, or will in future be able to, guarantee the outcome of their attempt to provide mediumship - and still we don't have a formalised version of what mediumship is in the first place anyway!!!


    Last edited by mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  skye on Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm

    Auras wrote:
    skye wrote:
    Auras wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:

    If b....... from prosecution and law suits. However the jury is still out on this one lol. In theory how can a medium really prove their are real?
    Firstly there would need to be a legally recognised definition of 'medium' and 'mediumship'.  Then one might be able to show that particular service had, or had not, been provided. 

    Whether the new legislation will have much impact on activities remains to be seen.
    They would provide they are real by providing accurate evidence. That's it.

    But, In my understanding, I believe that proof is suppose to provided. If people think your fake, You have nothing to prove nothing but to yourself.

    You will most likely, Here lot's of people say they are a medium on the internet, As you have lot's of things to back-up for there assumptions. Like, Facebook, You could look at pictures of there deceased ect.

    In practice, a spiritual medium is expected to deliver accurate evidence of our survival. However, the question Crystal asked was, In theory' how can a medium prove they are real? 

    Also, as a demonstration of mediumship is an experiment, no guarantee of communication can ever be given.
    Basically, You have just stated that mediumship is an experiment....

    To me it is not.

    That's fine with me.
    avatar
    Crystal
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1247
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Crystal on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:15 pm

    mac wrote:
    The suggested disclaimers state that it is an experiment because communication can not be guaranteed.  And absolutely no medium ever could, can now, or will in future be able to, guarantee the outcome of their attempt to provide mediumship - and still we don't have a formalised version of what mediumship is in the first place anyway!!!


    Last edited by mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
    Totally off topic... I just love the edit for punctuation, a lot of people could learn from that, and whilst I am mentioning this, whatever happened to spelling? How can an online reader every expect to get their word/reading/message across to the recipient accurately if they use the wrong words, incorrect spelling or punctuation all the time? The panda eats shoots and leaves....

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: mediumship

    Post  skye on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:04 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    mac wrote:
    The suggested disclaimers state that it is an experiment because communication can not be guaranteed.  And absolutely no medium ever could, can now, or will in future be able to, guarantee the outcome of their attempt to provide mediumship - and still we don't have a formalised version of what mediumship is in the first place anyway!!!


    Last edited by mac on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : punctuation)
    Totally off topic... I just love the edit for punctuation, a lot of people could learn from that, and whilst I am mentioning this, whatever happened to spelling? How can an online reader every expect to get their word/reading/message across to the recipient accurately if they use the wrong words, incorrect spelling or punctuation all the time? The panda eats shoots and leaves....

    As much as I would love to be good at punctuation, I admit it is and never has been and probably never will be easy for me. But I don't seem to have a problem reading peoples posts. I often get the gist of what they are trying to express without too much difficulty.

    This does not mean I have taken your post personally Crystal.


    Last edited by skye on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: mediumship

    Post  SpiritVoices on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 pm

    Crystal wrote:
    RavenMoon wrote:Surely a message passed on whether by a "psychic" or other personal method is looked on a gift and gladly received by the intended person.
    Looking down on someone because they just psychic and not 100% medium  I find it slightly  rude - we are, on this site, people from all walks of life & ways. Our gifts are just that, which ever way we express them and pass information them on. 

    light &  love :cool:


    You are missing the point that mac has already clearly explained.
    No I don't think she has.......answers come from spirit in many ways.....

    Sponsored content

    Re: mediumship

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm