A forum for seekers everywhere...


    Mabon

    Share
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Mabon

    Post  norseman on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:45 am

    Late this month [21st] we will be celebrating Mabon at our local henge, Thornborough. It's about 5500 years old and was said to be the spiritual centre of Britain in the Neolithic. Later, it became the centre of the Brigantes Celts - the largest Celtic Confederation in Britain. Now it is still used by the pagans of Northern England for festivals.

    Mabon is the Autumn Equinox and the second harvest. It falls on September 21. Day and night are equal length, and this is time to look foreward to the coming dark of the year. The cycle of growth grows near its end and this is a time to give thanks to the sun, the God, for his light and warmth, and celebrate the aging Goddess as she passes from Mother to Crone. The Goddess steps aside and the God steps foreward and brings darkness. Also at this time, the God prepares for his death and re-birth.

    Decorations- wines, pinecones, acorns, corn, apples, gourds, horns of plenty, and ivy vines
    Foods- pomegranates, potatoes, carrots, breads, nuts, apples, onions, garlic
    Herbs- myrrh, marigold, passion flower, rose, sage, thistle
    Colors- orange, brown, gold, red, maroon


    AUTUMN EQUINOX-MABON

    Oh, my lover, you are gone once more,

    To the deep, dark depths, ‘neath my lady’s core,

    The underworld where the shadows grow,

    The never-ending water of rivers flow,

    I am the grim-reaper, I have cut you down,

    When all is abundant, at the height of your crown,

    Made of vine and ivy, your entity entwined,

    Of spiralling trees, reincarnation to find,

    After hard work and toil and tilling the earth,

    The completion of harvest brings forth new birth,

    Of fruit and flower and seed and grain,

    We consecrate then scatter again.

    Oh, my lover, you have gone to ground,

    A heart-felt sacrifice I am bound,

    In shrouds of green, blue, yellow and white,

    I turn within to fading light,

    To join you on an inner journey and quest,

    So that we may seek wisdom and balance at their best,

    And change, transformations must take place,

    For future harmony, we embrace,

    Through the darkness and coldness of months to come,

    We are the state of equilibrium,

    So we gently sink; submerge to a new energy phase,

    When the nights grow longer, with shortening days.

    Oh, my lover, you are not gone for good,

    You begin your rest as the sun-god should,

    I am your friend, not your traitor,

    I helped guide you across your celestial equator,

    You helped to grow the world’s great fare,

    With help from friends; earth, water and air,

    The work is done, gathered and stored,

    Smiling faces at a winter’s hoard,

    The fields and meadows soon bare and brown,

    Things will now start a winding down,

    One and all, they yield and transcend,

    With sap in the trees, he doth descend.



    Oh, my lover, we are whole, we are half,

    We are creation, destruction, we are sad, we’er a laugh,

    We are good, we are bad, we are dark and light,

    In the depths of mother earth, we are blind but have sight,

    It’s our second nature, our intuitive selves,

    Put pollution and hatred back on the shelves,

    We are clean, fresh air and love to the core,

    We are peace, we are unrest, but we are not war,

    We are loud, we are soft, we whisper, we shout,

    But here we must give thanks to which sustains us throughout,

    Oh, my lover, the life and unity we bring,

    I’ll see you again, we will awaken in spring.

    [Andrea Gibbons - afraid I don't know anything about this writer beyond her name]
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:57 am

    Heard of Mabon,Norseman.     Thornborough as well.
    Just shows what lies in Britain....5000 years old?

    Let us know how this festival goes.....

    Great....
    Joan
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:07 pm

    Grey Wizard all set for Mabon


    Kaere
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

    Re: Mabon

    Post  Kaere on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm

    Warm and cozy :bfs: 
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:36 pm

    That cheery face...always makes me smile....

    :hugz:

    frisky fox
    Member

    Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

    Re: Mabon

    Post  frisky fox on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 pm

    is that fox fur ? :eek:
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:21 pm

    frisky fox wrote:is that fox fur ? :eek:
    :grin: 
    The look of fear on your face,frisky fox......please tell her it is imitation......
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:31 am

    SpiritVoices wrote:
    frisky fox wrote:is that fox fur ? :eek:
    :grin: 
    The look of fear on your face,frisky fox......please tell her it is imitation......
    The Norse ? Imitations ? :happy:
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:37 am

    Great festival. Blazing sun, very hot ! Too hot for hood  and wolfie. But, as you can see from photos, many did "dress up" proving that it's not just me who is strange :happy:WE had over 200 in the circle !







    NOW THAT'S THE WAY TO HOLD A HARVEST FESTIVAL ! :evil:
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:32 am

    Am I still in the present time here?????
    :giggles: 

    What year is it,Norseman?......:faint:
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 am

    SpiritVoices wrote:Am I still in the present time here?????
    :giggles: 

    What year is it,Norseman?......:faint:
    Oh, around 500 AD I think before christianity gained a hold :giggles:

    frisky fox
    Member

    Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

    Re: Mabon

    Post  frisky fox on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:08 pm

    norseman wrote:
    SpiritVoices wrote:
    frisky fox wrote:is that fox fur ? :eek:
    :grin: 
    The look of fear on your face,frisky fox......please tell her it is imitation......
    The Norse ? Imitations ? :happy:
    :eek: :eek:  and here I thought we could be friends, lol

    happy to hear you enjoyed your festival !
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:40 pm

    frisky fox wrote:
    norseman wrote:
    SpiritVoices wrote:
    frisky fox wrote:is that fox fur ? :eek:
    :grin: 
    The look of fear on your face,frisky fox......please tell her it is imitation......
    The Norse ? Imitations ? :happy:
    :eek: :eek:  and here I thought we could be friends, lol

    happy to hear you enjoyed your festival !
    OK, frisky fox. It's the skin from the extremely rare polyesterwolf !:evil:

    frisky fox
    Member

    Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

    Re: Mabon

    Post  frisky fox on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:44 pm

    norseman wrote:
     
    OK, frisky fox. It's the skin from the extremely rare polyesterwolf !:evil:
    not sure to believe you or not, lol     such a trusting fox I am, I will take you at your word

    I was going to mention, you do have a cute smile :cool:


    Last edited by frisky fox on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:45 pm

    It's itchy......bit rough against my tender skin......:blush:

    frisky fox
    Member

    Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

    Re: Mabon

    Post  frisky fox on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

    SpiritVoices wrote:It's itchy......bit rough against my tender skin......:blush:
    Voices ! you have a fur like that too ? :faint:
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:49 pm

    Not admitting anything.......:blush:
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:57 pm

    frisky fox wrote:
    SpiritVoices wrote:It's itchy......bit rough against my tender skin......:blush:
    Voices ! you have a fur like that too ? :faint:
    Actually, thinking about it, it was made in China so could be rabbit [foxfood !] or cat :happy:

    frisky fox
    Member

    Number of posts : 1044
    Registration date : 2013-08-25

    Re: Mabon

    Post  frisky fox on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:26 pm

    norseman wrote:
    frisky fox wrote:
    SpiritVoices wrote:It's itchy......bit rough against my tender skin......:blush:
    Voices ! you have a fur like that too ? :faint:
    Actually, thinking about it, it was made in China so could be rabbit [foxfood !] or cat :happy:
    oh my ! this just keeps getting worse  ! :faint:
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 pm

    norseman wrote:
    frisky fox wrote:
    SpiritVoices wrote:It's itchy......bit rough against my tender skin......:blush:
    Voices ! you have a fur like that too ? :faint:
    Actually, thinking about it, it was made in China so could be rabbit [foxfood !] or cat :happy:
    CAT?     So that's where all the neighbourhood cats went?   The  old tom cat next door has disappeared......:worry:       Shouts.....'here Boris,where are you Boris?'

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Mabon

    Post  Guest on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:04 am

    I seen fur like that....a jackaloupe?
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 am

    I bought it in Shetland. Jackaloupe ?? Jackrabbit with horns ? :giggles:
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 pm

    norseman wrote:Late this month [21st] we will be celebrating Mabon at our local henge, Thornborough. It's about 5500 years old and was said to be the spiritual centre of Britain in the Neolithic. Later, it became the centre of the Brigantes Celts - the largest Celtic Confederation in Britain. Now it is still used by the pagans of Northern England for festivals.

    Mabon is the Autumn Equinox and the second harvest. It falls on September 21. Day and night are equal length, and this is time to look foreward to the coming dark of the year. The cycle of growth grows near its end and this is a time to give thanks to the sun, the God, for his light and warmth, and celebrate the aging Goddess as she passes from Mother to Crone. The Goddess steps aside and the God steps foreward and brings darkness. Also at this time, the God prepares for his death and re-birth.

    Decorations- wines, pinecones, acorns, corn, apples, gourds, horns of plenty, and ivy vines
    Foods- pomegranates, potatoes, carrots, breads, nuts, apples, onions, garlic
    Herbs- myrrh, marigold, passion flower, rose, sage, thistle
    Colors- orange, brown, gold, red, maroon


    AUTUMN EQUINOX-MABON

    Oh, my lover, you are gone once more,

    To the deep, dark depths, ‘neath my lady’s core,

    The underworld where the shadows grow,

    The never-ending water of rivers flow,

    I am the grim-reaper, I have cut you down,

    When all is abundant, at the height of your crown,

    Made of vine and ivy, your entity entwined,

    Of spiralling trees, reincarnation to find,

    After hard work and toil and tilling the earth,

    The completion of harvest brings forth new birth,

    Of fruit and flower and seed and grain,

    We consecrate then scatter again.

    Oh, my lover, you have gone to ground,

    A heart-felt sacrifice I am bound,

    In shrouds of green, blue, yellow and white,

    I turn within to fading light,

    To join you on an inner journey and quest,

    So that we may seek wisdom and balance at their best,

    And change, transformations must take place,

    For future harmony, we embrace,

    Through the darkness and coldness of months to come,

    We are the state of equilibrium,

    So we gently sink; submerge to a new energy phase,

    When the nights grow longer, with shortening days.

    Oh, my lover, you are not gone for good,

    You begin your rest as the sun-god should,

    I am your friend, not your traitor,

    I helped guide you across your celestial equator,

    You helped to grow the world’s great fare,

    With help from friends; earth, water and air,

    The work is done, gathered and stored,

    Smiling faces at a winter’s hoard,

    The fields and meadows soon bare and brown,

    Things will now start a winding down,

    One and all, they yield and transcend,

    With sap in the trees, he doth descend.



    Oh, my lover, we are whole, we are half,

    We are creation, destruction, we are sad, we’er a laugh,

    We are good, we are bad, we are dark and light,

    In the depths of mother earth, we are blind but have sight,

    It’s our second nature, our intuitive selves,

    Put pollution and hatred back on the shelves,

    We are clean, fresh air and love to the core,

    We are peace, we are unrest, but we are not war,

    We are loud, we are soft, we whisper, we shout,

    But here we must give thanks to which sustains us throughout,

    Oh, my lover, the life and unity we bring,

    I’ll see you again, we will awaken in spring.

    [Andrea Gibbons - afraid I don't know anything about this writer beyond her name]
    I love it.    :stars:
    avatar
    norseman
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Location : Ancient Viking Kingdom of the North
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

    Re: Mabon

    Post  norseman on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:06 pm

    OK, ten days to go to Mabon 2014 - doesn't time fly ! This year I am probably going for the whole weekend Friday eve until Monday AM and CAMPING *** ! Big festival this year, lots of stalls and vendors - getting to be a Fair as well as festival now. K\'s stars

    *** unless it rains :happy:
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Mabon

    Post  SpiritVoices on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:56 pm

    That is really the time I like.    Autumn.  I remember as a child wrapping up warm as the leaves scatter,looking forward to Xmas.

    Why don't we see the weather as it used to be?   Proper seasons?   Starting in Spring,then onto Summer then into Autumn then Winter.   There seems to be little change between the seasons now.  Except  hot and cold.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mabon

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:06 pm