A forum for seekers everywhere...

Turning Points/Crossroads in your life....

ameliorate

Female
    Number of posts : 3220
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

Turning Points/Crossroads in your life....

Post  ameliorate on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:18 pm

A recent thread on changes in character got me thinking about starting this thread.

What has been a significant turning point/crossroads where you had to make a decision or got a lightbulb moment/inspiration that changed you for the better?

For me it came about at a time I was briefly clinically depressed and had a fatalistic mindset, e.g. "this is how it is", "nothing can be done" etc.  I was studying for my psychology degree and looking into psychotherapy.  I was intrigued to discover that people believed in freewill - the power it had to transform your experiences by choice/how you choose to react.  This concept was somewhat alien to me at the time and I was sceptical - thought there might be an element of delusion about it. 

Nevertheless, I opened myself up to the possibility that freewill may be real.....I had a transforming experience (that I put into a short story of a few paragraphs - could post it here if there is any interest).  I have never looked back!

That was 30 years ago and I continue to benefit from having cultivated a positive mindset.   Should I see the beginnings of sliding into depression, I know I can either halt it or just give it a limited timespan of indulgence (since it is a treacherous slippery slope).

I have discovered that we are indeed co-creators of our lives and can choose what we focus on in life, i.e. the negatives or the positives.  I like the quote "it's not what you look at, it's what you see."

Please share your transforming experiences.

Last edited by ameliorate on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re: Turning Points/Crossroads in your life....

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:52 pm

The cross roads can come in many ways..........physically or spiritually.........I tend to look at online as "spiritual" and I dont know why.

I can either go east, west, north or south.,.....the compass is spinning for sure.

A physical crossroad has happened also 4 years ago....lost a family member over that one............

Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Post  Kaere on Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:58 pm

I can't think of any. I've had epiphanies in my life that I think have made me see the world differently, made it easier and happier for myself.

I don't even like saying that 'better person'... we are as perfect as we can be in any moment, to say that I can be better is to feel that there is something wrong with how I am now.
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Better just implies improvement.  Being a realist, I recognise that I have flaws/certain vices that can be dealt with/marginalised/improved on. I believe that we are all a work in progress. 

The danger with viewing that we are perfect is that it can lead to stagnation.
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:08 pm

I learned to use a positive mind set as Amy has suggested.

I went through a period of despair when my first marriage broke down.
    I felt as if my confidence was gone in life.  The house had to be sold but I managed to buy out right a small flat.   An apartment you call it.

My daughter was with me and even though we were both working,money was short.
    The worst days of my life!   I suffered depression,couldn't sleep so was put on sleeping pills.
    My working life and the friends I had in that life kept me going.

I met Ken then and we married.   I was still taking the pills.  He asked me why I was still taking them so told him.
    Off I was led to the GP's.    I was sent to relaxation classes.
    Wonderful teacher there who led the class.   Mattresses were laid out and we were taught through a relaxation class.
    Very close to meditation.     
    That was the start of my new found confidence.

if I get worried now,I still go through those exercises.....
    I feel confident in myself once again.    

It just takes one move to get the body and the mind together again.

Kaere

Female

Post  Kaere on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:27 pm

ameliorate wrote:Better just implies improvement.  Being a realist, I recognise that I have flaws/certain vices that can be dealt with/marginalised/improved on. I believe that we are all a work in progress. 

Thinking that one is not okay as one is can also lead to problems ie bulimia, anorexia, cutting, overeating, low self-esteem and all it's inherent problems, etc etc.

Two sides to the same coin, I suppose.

ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Kaere wrote:
    ameliorate wrote:Better just implies improvement.  Being a realist, I recognise that I have flaws/certain vices that can be dealt with/marginalised/improved on. I believe that we are all a work in progress. 

Thinking that one is not okay as one is can also lead to problems ie bulimia, anorexia, cutting, overeating, low self-esteem and all it's inherent problems, etc etc.

Two sides to the same coin, I suppose.

I see your point.  Guess there are degrees to feeling "okay".  I am far from perfect but have high self esteem and (believe it or not) a diminished ego/humility, i.e. readily admit it when I get it wrong.  Not a black or white situation really is it?

Post  Guest on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:02 pm

I see flaws in me............because i need everything in order...........

but...im leaving that state of mind.............you can take me as I am....or throw me to the curb....

either way...beside the curb is a road....that leads to everywhere.
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Mr.Whitmore wrote:I see flaws in me............because i need everything in order...........

but...im leaving that state of mind.............you can take me as I am....or throw me to the curb....

I like the feeling of this post...displays optimism and a survivor's mindset!  :peace: 
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:59 pm

So....anyone else had a lightbulb moment that changed them?

A turning point/at the crossroads that led to a transformation?

Please share so we can marvel and learn from you.  :rainbow: 
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:53 pm

Mr.Whitmore wrote:I see flaws in me............because i need everything in order...........

Very wise advice....A very well ordered man.

Kaere

Female

Post  Kaere on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 pm

ameliorate wrote:So....anyone else had a lightbulb moment that changed them?

Well... if we're talking about epiphanies, then I can share a moment out of many.

Back in 2007 I read a parable by Kryon and learned a different way of understanding lives here on earth and people and motivations and why things happen the way they do sometimes... and from that it became easy as pie to forgive, I don't even think about it anymore, it's just forgiven, no longer thought of except to see (from a spiritual point of view) how much love a soul has to be feeling to agree to play the bad guy down here on earth. It's staggering.
    ameliorate

Female

Post  ameliorate on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:35 am

Kaere wrote:
    ameliorate wrote:So....anyone else had a lightbulb moment that changed them?

Well... if we're talking about epiphanies, then I can share a moment out of many.

Back in 2007 I read a parable by Kryon and learned a different way of understanding lives here on earth and people and motivations and why things happen the way they do sometimes... and from that it became easy as pie to forgive, I don't even think about it anymore, it's just forgiven, no longer thought of except to see (from a spiritual point of view) how much love a soul has to be feeling to agree to play the bad guy down here on earth. It's staggering.
    Interesting...thanks for sharing that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:18 pm