A forum for seekers everywhere...

Golden Ratio?

Freak

Number of posts : 69
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Golden Ratio?

Post  Freak on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Has anyone ever heard of this? Basically the ancient Greek mathematicians discovered that every living thing (I believe) has parts that are made to the same ratio of 1.61. I think it works like whoever in the world measures the length of the arm from shoulder to finger tips, and then measures their arm from elbow to finger tips, the ratio between the 2 is 1.61. It's the same for any part of the body, and anyone on the planet. Even plants and insects and whatnot. So the ancients believed they found the building blocks for life when they discovered this ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Also, the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras believed everything in existence is made from numbers. Everything can be traced back to a mathematical sum of some sort. To explain it better I quoted from the Wiki page on Pythagoras:

We do know that Pythagoras and his students believed that everything was related to mathematics and that numbers were the ultimate reality and, through mathematics, everything could be predicted and measured in rhythmic patterns or cycles. According to Iamblichus of Chalcis, Pythagoras once said that "number is the ruler of forms and ideas and the cause of gods and daemons."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoras
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24346
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Re: Golden Ratio?

Post  Violet on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Freak, I have heard something about this but I really struggle with maths and figures, I can't even write a phone number down without mixing up the numbers :blush: I'm sure some of the others will be interested in this, i'm interested but wouldn't understand it.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:28 am