A forum for seekers everywhere...


    Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Share
    avatar
    Wisa'ka
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 285
    Registration date : 2012-03-26

    Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Wisa'ka on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 pm

    The Osprey have returned to my neck of the woods. A large bird of prey which feeds off fish it captures with it's hook-like talons. They come here to build nests, mate and rear their young.

    I understand they live in Europe as well.

    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  SpiritVoices on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 am

    Osprey? I don't think I have seen one of those.

    I remember visiting a bird sanctuary a long time,it was composed entirely of eagles.
    Such majestic birds but cruel in searching for food.


    avatar
    Wisa'ka
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 285
    Registration date : 2012-03-26

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Wisa'ka on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:53 pm

    Joanie wrote:Osprey? I don't think I have seen one of those.

    I remember visiting a bird sanctuary a long time,it was composed entirely of eagles.
    Such majestic birds but cruel in searching for food.



    Nothing cruel about eagles, hawks, or falcons hunting. It is the way of nature. Cruelty is a human attribute and does not exist in animals. It has been this way for millions of years, long before humans took it upon themselves to pass judgement of such, or put themselves above all other living things.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  SpiritVoices on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm

    Wisa'ka wrote:
    Joanie wrote:Osprey? I don't think I have seen one of those.

    I remember visiting a bird sanctuary a long time,it was composed entirely of eagles.
    Such majestic birds but cruel in searching for food.



    Nothing cruel about eagles, hawks, or falcons hunting. It is the way of nature. Cruelty is a human attribute and does not exist in animals. It has been this way for millions of years, long before humans took it upon themselves to pass judgement of such, or put themselves above all other living things.

    You are so correct there,Wisa'ka. When I see animals cruelly treated it makes sick.
    Half starved dogs and cats....deliberate cruelty.

    Joanie
    avatar
    Wisa'ka
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 285
    Registration date : 2012-03-26

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Wisa'ka on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 pm

    The Osprey and Bald Eagle here were almost killed off sometime back by a man made chemical called DDT. It was an insecticide farmers sprayed on their crops which ran off into the rivers and consumed by fish. The Osprey and Eagles that ate those fish began to die off by the thousands. DDT spraying was stopped and both species made a comeback.

    Still bad things go into the air, earth and water.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  SpiritVoices on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

    Not far from where I live,there is an eagle enclosure with demonstrations.
    The eagles was well looked after and last time I visited the handler gave a great demonstration on handling an eagle. Can't remember what type of eagle it was.
    But very majestic. Very proud birds they are.

    I remember seeing a program recently on penquins,mother penquin with baby.
    That upset me,to see eagles swooping on the baby penquins. I was quite surprised to see this. Never realised that would be the food that eagles would search for as prey.
    Joanie
    avatar
    Wisa'ka
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 285
    Registration date : 2012-03-26

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Wisa'ka on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 pm

    The best fishing folk in the world. Many times while angling and doing rather poorly, I would see these birds swoop down and grab a fish right in front of me

    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am

    My dad was a poor fisherman as well....but would never admit it.
    Interesting topic,thank you.

    Joanie
    avatar
    Wisa'ka
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 285
    Registration date : 2012-03-26

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Wisa'ka on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 am

    Joanie wrote:My dad was a poor fisherman as well....but would never admit it.
    Interesting topic,thank you.

    Joanie

    Ahhh, many times I did poorly and many times I did rather well, but a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.
    avatar
    Violet
    Admin

    Female
    Number of posts : 24347
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Violet on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:25 pm

    Wisa'ka wrote:The best fishing folk in the world. Many times while angling and doing rather poorly, I would see these birds swoop down and grab a fish right in front of me


    What a stunning photo! I'm pleased to hear those birds made a come back Wisa'Ka



    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Osprey, a sure sign of Spring

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 am