Oathbreaker ?

norseman

Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Oathbreaker ?

Post  norseman on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:08 pm

There is always controversy about what to call a male "witch". Even "witch" is suspect being of christian origin and used to denigrate and persecute, so a fairly recent word. When the Saxons first came to Britain, they found "shaman" [another word to be argued over] as part of the tribes who would advise on matters both spiritual - invoking local spirits to ensure good hunting or successful harvests - and mundane - advising when to sow and when to harvest, caring for the tribe's male breeding animals. The Saxons labelled these people as "knowing" [ cunnan in Saxon ] hence the old name of the Cunning or Wise Folk.
    Still in medieval times, there was still this confusion of male ??????. Magician, sorcerer, or ?.
    There was a name "Warlock" [Warloch] quite popular which collected an unpleasant meaning. It came to mean Oathbreaker. True, but not in the way it truly was. This was another christian interpretation and originates with the Cunning Folk. Cunning Folk were very crafty and they hid in plain sight during the witch hunts, protected by the rural communities that they served. Many, in fact hid as priests and used the bible as a source of spells. They were Warlocks but the oath they broke was their oath as a priest, not their oath as a Cunning Man.
    It's time this old name was reinstated.
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24260
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Re: Oathbreaker ?

Post  Violet on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi Norseman, that was an interesting read thanks for sharing.

I'd always assumed a witch was a witch, male or female but I have heard of cunning folk.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    norseman

Male
    Number of posts : 317
    Job/hobbies : Striding the hedge
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post  norseman on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Violet. Cunning Folk still doing what we always did in rural settings but updated as it were to match the modern world. Many are heavily into Countryside Conservation work. Some prefer to use a "new" name also - Hedge Witch.
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24260
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Ah yes i've heard that term too, I actually like that because it suggests someone who is very in touch with nature, I thought (in my ignorance ) the term cunning folk always sounds a little erm ..not too complimentary.. but then, I didn't know where that term originated or why, I do now though.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content