A forum for seekers everywhere...

Are mediums (generally) getting younger?

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24258
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Are mediums (generally) getting younger?

Post  Violet on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Or is it me that's getting older, seriously though when I was starting out all mediums seemed to be middle aged or older. I've known of mediums in their late teens recently.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Are mediums (generally) getting younger?

Post  shayn on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:07 pm

i know what you mean.

s
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Hello

I think its more the age of awarness and understanding not one's age that one takes the stage. I have a 13 year old that is as gifted as I am just has not learned the "understandings" yet of the fundementals in play. How to present a message and how to handle doing a reading for someone with the respects and sensitivities in place.

Lynn
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Strange but we were discussing this a while ago.

Started with the lack of good mediums,and it was suggested that we start looking for younger people who have the gift of mediumship who are willing to take responsibility of training in mediumship,ready for the next generation.
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Hello

I think what a lot of it might be is that some that are aging....did it for a living and made a living at it. Now that is harder to as there are more and more out there that well honestly are not "PURE" in what they offer. So in that the good one's get lost in the mix.

Much of it is honesly fear that hold's one's back from exploring those avenues, many have seen one's honestly burn out from doing such work on a full time basis. I have come to find many Medium's and Psychics have issues with the drink as that honestly shuts one down but too it shuts down one's liver.

Too as the times open up to more and more understandings I think that there will be less reliance on Mediums and more reliance on self in that hearing of one's own inner voice. In trusting that we can all hear messages if we just open to recievie.

Lynn

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 3437
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Violet wrote:Or is it me that's getting older, seriously though when I was starting out all mediums seemed to be middle aged or older. I've known of mediums in their late teens recently.

Maybe it's just that we get to know about all manner of things which at one time might not have been so readily known about?

Many mediums may have begun equally young but perhaps weren't seen because experienced, older mediums took the limelight? And perhaps nowadays aspiring, developing mediums get known about because there are many more ways to get one's name 'out there' for the public to see?

My hope is that whatever the age of contemporary mediums they will uphold the highest of standards. (although lord knows where they'll learn 'em) I also hope that they do turn out actually to be mediums as I understand the word and not just psychic entertainers.
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Lynn wrote:Hello

I think what a lot of it might be is that some that are aging....did it for a living and made a living at it. Now that is harder to as there are more and more out there that well honestly are not "PURE" in what they offer. So in that the good one's get lost in the mix.

Much of it is honesly fear that hold's one's back from exploring those avenues, many have seen one's honestly burn out from doing such work on a full time basis. I have come to find many Medium's and Psychics have issues with the drink as that honestly shuts one down but too it shuts down one's liver.

Too as the times open up to more and more understandings I think that there will be less reliance on Mediums and more reliance on self in that hearing of one's own inner voice. In trusting that we can all hear messages if we just open to recievie.

Lynn

A lot of sense there,Lynn.

As an example,we went to see a medium in my local area recently.

As a medium originally doing private readings only,he was great,spot on every time.

Now he is going public,he looks tired and his performance was less than perfect.

I think like most older people nearing retirement,even experienced mediums must learn when to 'call it a day' and retire from public speaking.

Though even at my age,I am just coming into mediumship now with more and more experience of hearing spirit.

I do not think I will ever reach the stage of 'seeing'!

By that time,I may not need it.

Topaz

Female
    Number of posts : 119
    Registration date : 2011-05-21

Post  Topaz on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 am

I think a lot of it is due to society's acceptance. When I was a child and told Mum that I could see and talk to dead people, she told me that only 'mad' people could do that - I 'stopped hearing' after that, until I was in my 30's and was confident enough in my own skin to admit hearing dead people.
    Now days, it's more accepted, almost fashionable, what with programes on TV like most haunted and paranormal magazines available like it's fate etc.
    So younger peeps feel more at ease and don't feel like they will be ridiculed if they admit to talking to the dead.
    SpiritVoices

Female

Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Topaz wrote:I think a lot of it is due to society's acceptance. When I was a child and told Mum that I could see and talk to dead people, she told me that only 'mad' people could do that - I 'stopped hearing' after that, until I was in my 30's and was confident enough in my own skin to admit hearing dead people.
    Now days, it's more accepted, almost fashionable, what with programes on TV like most haunted and paranormal magazines available like it's fate etc.
    So younger peeps feel more at ease and don't feel like they will be ridiculed if they admit to talking to the dead.

Well said,Topaz!

Spiritualism is very well accepted by the majority of the public now apart from the few that are too blind to see.
    ChloeBell1313

Female
    Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2012-07-12

Post  ChloeBell1313 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm 23 and i just started not too long ago. I appear to be the youngest in my circle however. Maybe one or two other women just a little bit older then I. But most of them are 30s-50s I suspect.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:06 pm

ChloeBell1313 wrote:I'm 23 and i just started not too long ago. I appear to be the youngest in my circle however. Maybe one or two other women just a little bit older then I. But most of them are 30s-50s I suspect.

Good to hear from someone Stateside and a young medium too!

How would you characterize your own mediumship?
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:21 pm

I consider myself to be VERY much in the beginning stages. Not sure how to classify it persay. I understand and know that i can do it, but im definitely still understanding and growing, gaining faith in myself and abilities. Not ready to move onto working with people outside my metaphysical center/other mediums, but hoping to start working with some trusted friends soon. Finding it a bit hard as some people that "know", I feel like i know too much about the deaths surrounding them.

Ive learned a lot. I strongly prefer mediumship over psychic readings. That i do better with my eyes closed. That im mostly clairsenstient and clairvoyant not so much developed in clairaudient or any of the other of clairs at this point.

Starting work with trance/physical mediumship this weekend, which i am strongly interested in.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 pm

ChloeBell1313 wrote:I consider myself to be VERY much in the beginning stages. Not sure how to classify it persay. I understand and know that i can do it, but im definitely still understanding and growing, gaining faith in myself and abilities. Not ready to move onto working with people outside my metaphysical center/other mediums, but hoping to start working with some trusted friends soon. Finding it a bit hard as some people that "know", I feel like i know too much about the deaths surrounding them.

Ive learned a lot. I strongly prefer mediumship over psychic readings. That i do better with my eyes closed. That im mostly clairsenstient and clairvoyant not so much developed in clairaudient or any of the other of clairs at this point.

Starting work with trance/physical mediumship this weekend, which i am strongly interested in.

I've worked the medium vs psychic topic on many occasions here on SI and elsewhere on my other regular websites. It's heartening that even at your young age you understand the differences - that's not always the case with practitioners.

From what you're indicating I get the impression you're hoping to focus on evidential mediumship (sometimes called 'psychic mediumship' your side of the pond) and I hope you find the support from other experienced mediums - not always easy, even here in the UK where Spiritualism (known for evidential mediumship) is more widely seen.
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

mac wrote:
    ChloeBell1313 wrote:I consider myself to be VERY much in the beginning stages. Not sure how to classify it persay. I understand and know that i can do it, but im definitely still understanding and growing, gaining faith in myself and abilities. Not ready to move onto working with people outside my metaphysical center/other mediums, but hoping to start working with some trusted friends soon. Finding it a bit hard as some people that "know", I feel like i know too much about the deaths surrounding them.

I've worked the medium vs psychic topic on many occasions here on SI and elsewhere on my other regular websites. It's heartening that even at your young age you understand the differences - that's not always the case with practitioners.

From what you're indicating I get the impression you're hoping to focus on evidential mediumship (sometimes called 'psychic mediumship' your side of the pond) and I hope you find the support from other experienced mediums - not always easy, even here in the UK where Spiritualism (known for evidential mediumship) is more widely seen.

The different to me is extremely obvious! Evidential/psychic mediumship sounds about right. I CAN do psychic readings, but I dont plan to do any work with them outside of just practicing and whatnot. I would like to be a working medium, but not a working psychic.

Ive been lucky to ALREADY get in with a groups of experienced, accepting, supporting mediums and i couldn't be happier! I waited a little bit, I read A LOT of books before I even talked about it out loud to anyone. Then i just looked around for a place to take classes, and immediately clicked with the teacher. Its actually been amazing. Being in a room full of people who just get it, and don't judge you is so awesome!

mac

Male

Post  mac on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 pm

[quote="ChloeBell1313"]
    mac wrote:
    ChloeBell1313 wrote:I consider myself to be VERY much in the beginning stages. Not sure how to classify it persay. I understand and know that i can do it, but im definitely still understanding and gr..............r side of the pond) and I hope you find the support from other experienced mediums - not always easy, even here in the UK where Spiritualism (known for evidential mediumship) is more widely seen.

The different to me is extremely obvious! Evidential/psychic mediumship sounds about right. I CAN do psychic readings, but I dont plan to do any work with them outside of just practicing and whatnot. I would like to be a working medium, but not a working psychic.

Ive been lucky to ALREADY get in with a groups of experienced, accepting, supporting mediums and i couldn't be happier! I waited a little bit, I read A LOT of books before I even talked about it out loud to anyone. Then i just looked around for a place to take classes, and immediately clicked with the teacher. Its actually been amazing. Being in a room full of people who just get it, and don't judge you is so awesome!

"The different to me is extremely obvious!" Great stuff but it's not that way for others we get to hear from or about...

It sounds like you've got everything going for you - go for it!
    ChloeBell1313

Female

Post  ChloeBell1313 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 pm

[quote="mac"]
    ChloeBell1313 wrote:
    mac wrote:
    ChloeBell1313 wrote:I consider myself to be VERY much in the beginning stages. Not sure how to classify it persay. I understand and know that i can do it, but im definitely still understanding and gr..............r side of the pond) and I hope you find the support from other experienced mediums - not always easy, even here in the UK where Spiritualism (known for evidential mediumship) is more widely seen.

"The different to me is extremely obvious!" Great stuff but it's not that way for others we get to hear from or about...

It sounds like you've got everything going for you - go for it!

Weird!! Thanks! TOTALLY going for it!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 am