Levitation

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24328
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Levitation

Post  Violet on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:18 am

Has anyone ever been proved to have levitated?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

peaceandkarma

Male
    Number of posts : 189
    Registration date : 2011-05-25

Re: Levitation

Post  peaceandkarma on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:19 am

I seen martial artist walk on blades, to prove the blades as sharpe they cut fruit with them. Did Jesus walk on water or did he Levitate just above the surface?

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 3577
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:07 am

Violet wrote:Has anyone ever been proved to have levitated?

No. I saw David Blane pretend to levitate and given gullibility and a good performer, the result was amazing and entertaining. But he's a magician, an illusionist, an artist.

In any dimension its occupants are governed by the physics of that dimension but the fantasists are constrained by their cognitive disinhibition which persuades them that fantasy is reality - both appear the same.

Levitation and other impossible situations becomes reality in the perception of such individuals because they can not differentiate between reality and fantasy. To such individuals they appear much the same.

Add to that the individuals who want to believe in fantasy and we need to take care of any accounts they give. Much the same problem is found with reports of alien abduction, animal mutilation by aliens, UFOlogists and the rest.

I digress.....

mac

Male

Post  mac on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:13 am

"I seen martial artist walk on blades, to prove the blades as sharpe they cut fruit with them. Did Jesus walk on water or did he Levitate just above the surface?"

And just what does that demonstrate.....?????

Did Jesus walk on water or self-levitate? No. He was a man in this dimension and could not set aside the physics of this dimension any more than any other man - or woman! - can set them aside.
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Hello

I have seen a Master Healer do that. Did he really move off the rug he was sitting on.....or did he simply HOLD the power to make us beleive we say that happen.

NOW when it comes to levitation of objects YES that is possibe....and quite fun to do.

Lynn

mac

Male

Post  mac on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 pm

"NOW when it comes to levitation of objects YES that is possibe....and quite fun to do. "

Levitation by whom? If by an incarnate, prove it....
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:13 pm

mac wrote:"I seen martial artist walk on blades, to prove the blades as sharpe they cut fruit with them. Did Jesus walk on water or did he Levitate just above the surface?"

Did Jesus walk on water or self-levitate? No. He was a man in this dimension and could not set aside the physics of this dimension any more than any other man - or woman! - can set them aside.

I really wish I could remember the title of the book I read back in the 1960's.

The author proved that many miracles that Jesus performed could have been misconstrued into thinking they were genuine.

He provided an alternative for every miracle Jesus had performed.
    Lynn

Female
    Number of posts : 1467
    Job/hobbies : Retired - Interests Metaphysics
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Post  Lynn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:18 pm

mac wrote:"NOW when it comes to levitation of objects YES that is possibe....and quite fun to do. "

Hello Mac

NO not meaning by Spirit but by the human energy the very much LIVING person. We all hold in us that power to move a penny accross a table or bend a spoon with just our intentions. Too one can take that penny and stand it on end.....

Lynn

mac

Male

Post  mac on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Lynn wrote:
    mac wrote:"NOW when it comes to levitation of objects YES that is possibe....and quite fun to do. "

Hello Mac

NO not meaning by Spirit but by the human energy the very much LIVING person. We all hold in us that power to move a penny accross a table or bend a spoon with just our intentions. Too one can take that penny and stand it on end.....

Lynn

I was under the impression that 'levitation' meant lifting an object away from a surface so that it appeared to float ie suspended against the force of gravity. Can that be demonstrated or is it just another David Blane situation?

Mind you I'd be pretty impressed to see a coin brought up from recumbent to standing on edge without being physically touched. If you have a movie of it happening, maybe you could post it on YouTube or wherever so we can take a critical look-see?

mac

Male

Post  mac on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:"I seen martial artist walk on blades, to prove the blades as sharpe they cut fruit with them. Did Jesus walk on water or did he Levitate just above the surface?"

I really wish I could remember the title of the book I read back in the 1960's.

The author proved that many miracles that Jesus performed could have been misconstrued into thinking they were genuine.

He provided an alternative for every miracle Jesus had performed.

Don't worry about it, Joanie. Not only has that guy offered equally plausible explanations of how we may be duped, deliberately or inadvertently, but there are others which look at all the absurdities and contradictions in the Bible.

How certain groups can follow 'as gospel truth' - literally - what's been written as 'the word of God' is beyond this simple soul's comprehension..... But, then, I refuse to become a believer when there is no proper evidence.

Jesus was a great guy but walking on water wasn't in his gift.
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm

You and I think very much alike,Mac.

I often get called a 'doubting Thomas' but I like clear cut evidence before I truly believe.

Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:30 pm

There's nothing wrong with wanting evidence.

What about those who walk on beds of nails, hot coals and such, what are everyone's thoughts on that? If the power of the mind can allow a person to do that it makes you wonder what else mind power is capable of.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:29 am

Violet wrote:There's nothing wrong with wanting evidence.

What about those who walk on beds of nails, hot coals and such, what are everyone's thoughts on that? If the power of the mind can allow a person to do that it makes you wonder what else mind power is capable of.

There's an important difference, Violet, between claimed phenomena which would contradict scientific laws and the power of some people in 'switching off' the pain circuitry in their bodies. If you take the guy who free-dives for minutes, another who can deal with ice-cold water similarly, both say that they have trained themselves to resist the pain they feel. They don't do anything that others couldn't do but they survive where others wouldn't because they've built themselves up to do it....

Now if the power of someone's mind were able to levitate an object they would be controlling the laws of physics whereas those I outline above are controlling only themselves. A significant difference.

Individuals who actually believe that levitation can occur may be classed as cognitively disinhibited, individuals unable to discriminate fully between what's possible and what's not.

Such is also the field of past-life regressionists, UFOlogists, those who claim Atlantis exists st al. All in this same category.
    Carolyn

Female
    Number of posts : 541
    Job/hobbies : Writing, singing, and not wasting a moment of every day I wake up.
    Registration date : 2009-09-01

Post  Carolyn on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:46 am

Controlled levitation, never witnessed it, but objects flying off of shelves - YES, thats life when your a psychic, living in a psychic family, and then when you have psychic children or a psychic boyfriend. It just happens. LOL>

mac

Male

Post  mac on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 pm

czardoust wrote:Controlled levitation, never witnessed it, but objects flying off of shelves - YES, thats life when your a psychic, living in a psychic family, and then when you have psychic children or a psychic boyfriend. It just happens. LOL>

Totally different, as you acknowledge.... largely unexplained too
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:16 am

Hmmm,,, well to chug this topic along surely if things are flying off shelves seemingly on their own levitation becomes a possibilty in theory?

mac

Male

Post  mac on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:03 am

Violet wrote:Hmmm,,, well to chug this topic along surely if things are flying off shelves seemingly on their own levitation becomes a possibilty in theory?

Levitation is the raising (or supporting without mechanical/electrical forces etc) of objects in opposition to the downward pull of gravity. Objects flying off a shelf presumably then fall to the floor rather than floating in mid-air?

That's not levitation - they're being propelled sideways or transiently upward but then fall to the ground. You could say that throwing a stone upwards is levitation using the same principle but we all know what happens to the stone eventually.
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3369
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 am

Physicists have 'solved' mystery of levitation

By Roger Highfield, Science Editor

7:05AM BST 06 Aug 2007

Levitation has been elevated from being pure science fiction to science fact, according to a study reported today by physicists.

In earlier work the same team of theoretical physicists showed that invisibility cloaks are feasible.

Now, in another report that sounds like it comes out of the pages of a Harry Potter book, the University of St Andrews team has created an 'incredible levitation effects’ by engineering the force of nature which normally causes objects to stick together.

Professor Ulf Leonhardt and Dr Thomas Philbin, from the University of St Andrews in Scotland, have worked out a way of reversing this pheneomenon, known as the Casimir force, so that it repels instead of attracts.

Their discovery could ultimately lead to frictionless micro-machines with moving parts that levitate But they say that, in principle at least, the same effect could be used to levitate bigger objects too, even a person.

The Casimir force is a consequence of quantum mechanics, the theory that describes the world of atoms and subatomic particles that is not only the most successful theory of physics but also the most baffling.

The force is due to neither electrical charge or gravity, for example, but the fluctuations in all-pervasive energy fields in the intervening empty space between the objects and is one reason atoms stick together, also explaining a “dry glue” effect that enables a gecko to walk across a ceiling.

Now, using a special lens of a kind that has already been built, Prof Ulf Leonhardt and Dr Thomas Philbin report in the New Journal of Physics they can engineer the Casimir force to repel, rather than attact.

Because the Casimir force causes problems for nanotechnologists, who are trying to build electrical circuits and tiny mechanical devices on silicon chips, among other things, the team believes the feat could initially be used to stop tiny objects from sticking to each other.

Prof Leonhardt explained, “The Casimir force is the ultimate cause of friction in the nano-world, in particular in some microelectromechanical systems.

Such systems already play an important role - for example tiny mechanical devices which triggers a car airbag to inflate or those which power tiny 'lab on chip’ devices used for drugs testing or chemical analysis.

Micro or nano machines could run smoother and with less or no friction at all if one can manipulate the force.” Though it is possible to levitate objects as big as humans, scientists are a long way off developing the technology for such feats, said Dr Philbin.

The practicalities of designing the lens to do this are daunting but not impossible and levitation “could happen over quite a distance”.

Prof Leonhardt leads one of four teams - three of them in Britain - to have put forward a theory in a peer-reviewed journal to achieve invisibility by making light waves flow around an object - just as a river flows undisturbed around a smooth rock.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1559579/Physicists-have-solved-mystery-of-levitation.html

mac

Male

Post  mac on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:06 pm

A technique which one day might have a certain effect on tiny elements.....

Hardly an outcome that most folks would see as levitation.
    1antique
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3369
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  1antique on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Tell me, though.....does not everything on this planet operate through the same force?

Now, if the theory of levitation can be proven in the lab, then why do you feel it would be so difficult outside the lab by different means?

They said it was impossible for us to fly, but we managed that. Then they said we could never go into outer space...and we did that also.

Maybe it is time to quit saying we can't (or that something is impossible) and realize that nothing is impossible....we just haven't figured it out yet.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:41 am

1antique" Tell me, though.....does not everything on this planet operate through the same force? love???

Now, if the theory of levitation can be proven in the lab, then why do you feel it would be so difficult outside the lab by different means? Not all effects are felt on the larger scale and levitation has yet to be proven in the general way we speak about it. If it's through "different means" then we're into a whole new ball-game.... And those means still have to negate the effect of gravity.

They said it was impossible for us to fly, but we managed that. Then they said we could never go into outer space...and we did that also. Not all of "they" said either thing.... And neither flying nor space-travel for all their sophistication has negated gravity thus far.

Maybe it is time to quit saying we can't (or that something is impossible) and realize that nothing is impossible....we just haven't figured it out yet. Certain things are not possible unless/until scientists find ways of setting aside the basic laws of physics. When it's been figured out how to do that on all scales of magnitude then all bets will be off.

In the meantime I won't be holding my breath......

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content