Had a rare visitor..

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24347
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Had a rare visitor..

Post  Violet on Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm

to the garden this morning, a goldfinch, it appeared to be scrapping with a sparrow.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Rainbow

Female
    Number of posts : 1292
    Job/hobbies : Job; playing with my dogs. Hobbies; playing with my dogs lol
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Had a rare visitor..

Post  Rainbow on Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Ok I just had an image of the goldfinch rolling up it's feathers and saying "Come on then if you think yer 'ard enough" and hopping about I love my imagination sometimes, I see the silliest things.

There is always a bright side to every situation, you just have to look for it.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Thu May 05, 2011 9:42 pm

tattooes the lot!
    OOOh they were making a right old racket, should have seen the cats face he went up the tree and that's when they stopped scrapping and started teasing the cat that gold flash they have is a lovely colour.

Post  Guest on Thu May 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Not as spectacular as that must have been, but we were being marauded by a particularly fearless blackbird today - Some of the graves we were recording must have been near his nest, and boy did we know about it! He was quite happy to hop about within a few feet of us, all the time saying all kinds of naughty blackbirdy words that I'm pretty sure he didn't learn from his mother!
    Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow on Thu May 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Recording graves??

Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Blackbirds are very bold, brazen almost and I shall cover my ears next time I hear one

I meant to ask about the graves too earlier...

Post  Guest on Fri May 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Rainbow wrote:Recording graves??

Violet wrote:I meant to ask about the graves too earlier...

This is part of the work I do with the local Community Archaeologists. Graveyards (and the inscribed graves within) them, are a valuable source of our past. They do more than record that dead people are buried there. We can see relationships (you'll often see an entire family buried in one grave plot), family trees and spot trends (for example, during epidemics, you'll get clusters of burials within a short time of each other, and often they're young children). You can also get a sense of social conditions at the time - some graves record what people died from. You also can see styles change, in both lavish graves and those of commoners. They're obviously invaluable to people tracing their family history and also for local parish records.

When we 'record' graves, what this means is we note the position in the yard (so we can draw up GIS Maps and see layouts), and then we record the grave itself - What kind of headstone, all of the inscriptions, any sculpture/artwork, what the memorial is made of (sandstone/marble/etc), and what kind of damage/deterioration there is. The reason for all this work is, with the possible exception of slate, gravestones aren't as permanent a feature as you may expect - It's very important to record the information before it's lost to time and entropy.

It's a fascinating way to spend a day - you can see the lives of the people and some of the poems are really moving. Some of the stories told can fire the imagination too - We've found graves of old sea captains who served in Nelson's fleet and such - from the words used, we got a good picture of their swashbuckling antics!
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I'd kill for a job like that, I love graveyards and do spend time in them reading the inscriptions and looking at the carvings etc

Rainbow

Female

Post  Rainbow on Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 pm

I love spnding time in graveyards! I thought I might be a bit barmy but it appears not . My local graveyard has headstones that actually have the address of the erm.... tennant inscribed on them. I thought that was a great idea!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:08 pm