Chemically induced hallucinations

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24346
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Chemically induced hallucinations

Post  Violet on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:10 am

Many believe that those experiencing near death are witnessing hallucinations brought on by the release of chemicals in the brain, if this is true how come so many report similar experiences? Discuss :grin:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3807
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Chemically induced hallucinations

Post  innerlight on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:38 am

That's the logical mind trying to find answers.. When it can't it makes up excuses and reasons for things. It doesn't understand the concept of spirit so the logical mind makes up excuses for what others see.

Granted there are the exceptions that are just looking for attention and make up stories of things they've read.
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24346
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:07 am

Yes I have to agree about the logical mind, some of the accounts i've read disclose quite frightening experiences but little is mentioned about those generally.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:27 pm

An interesting subject and one which could do with more research.

The brain is one of those subjects that little is known about it.

Let me do a little investigating on the net later......:wink:
    Medicine_Dog

Male
    Number of posts : 56
    Job/hobbies : Native Medicine
    Registration date : 2013-12-06

Post  Medicine_Dog on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:25 am

I apply my logical mind differently then most, I ain't no brain surgeon but let's say that NDE's are caused by chemicals in the brain. Why would it all of the sudden not be spiritual? What if these chemically induced changes in the brain are a prerequisite of spiritual experiences? It's not as far fetched as it seems-- take meditation for example: 

Alternating between hyperventilating and hypoventilating stimulates different brain functions, what if these functions/chemicals are the same as in NDE's and the likes? IMO the "chemicals" would then be spiritual in themselves. Dopamine, Adrenaline, DMT, all of them... Gifts.... Spiritual Gifts... 

Your body doesn't want to be "conscious and alert" when severe traumatic events occur, so you go to a better place temporarily, chemicals or no I'd still call it a blessing....  :flo:
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:46 am

I agree with you there....spirit have the most unlikely ways to bring their presence through....to give us that taste of the next world......
    partofme

Female
    Number of posts : 820
    Job/hobbies : spiritual growth, repurposer, gardening...anything creative.
    Registration date : 2013-05-29

Post  partofme on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Violet wrote:Many believe that those experiencing near death are witnessing hallucinations brought on by the release of chemicals in the brain, if this is true how come so many report similar experiences? Discuss :grin:

It seems likely that the body can produce that effect. Your body is preparing to shut down. 

Maybe possible that the experiences are brought on from their belief system. 

Steve22

Male
    Number of posts : 31
    Registration date : 2014-09-04

Post  Steve22 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:54 am

Violet wrote:Many believe that those experiencing near death are witnessing hallucinations brought on by the release of chemicals in the brain, if this is true how come so many report similar experiences? Discuss :grin:
    One night I realized that this could in fact be the case.  However, that would not make the afterlife any less "real" because I believe that what we are experiencing all the time could be really a sort of hallucination.  Think about it, one could die, enter a world of hallucinations, the next person dies, enters a world of hallucinations and effectively everything is part of an infinity of what could be termed hallucinations and the 'hallucinations' people experience are no less real or more real than anything else.  I'm not into mediumship but have my own experiences and I will say that for those who experience such things, do your 'hallucinations' seem any less real than anything in the physical world.  do your dreams seem less 'real' than reality itself?  Think about it, a chemically induced hallucination could be completely 'real'

Steve23

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2014-12-31

Post  Steve23 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:26 am

I am in no way promoting the use of any kind of drugs, but who is to say that experiences induced by chemicals are any less real or legitimate than any other.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:36 am