Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Do we NEED to believe in something?

Post  Violet on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Do you think somewhere, deeply ingrained in the human being there is a need (like a need for food or warmth) to believe in something, (whatever that may be,) or is it just a want, (like wanting that new pair of shoes or to read that book?)

My mind's wandering tonight

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

zerdini

Male
    Number of posts : 611
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

Re: Do we NEED to believe in something?

Post  zerdini on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Joanie wrote:Just to interupt,the sky is not blue.

I believe from what I once read,it takes it's colour from the sea? Not sure about this.
    The same for anything else here,we see it as solid,for our own benefit,but as Mac said,everything.
    here is composed of some kind of particles.Nothing here is real,according to the way we think of it in our perception.
    In the spirit world,everything is composed from 'thought'.
    Joanie
    The sky is not blue at 70,000 feet - it;s black! Neither is the sea blue. Take a glass of sea water and you will see it is colourless.
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:47 pm

zerdini wrote:
    Joanie wrote:Just to interupt,the sky is not blue.

I believe from what I once read,it takes it's colour from the sea? Not sure about this.
    The same for anything else here,we see it as solid,for our own benefit,but as Mac said,everything.
    here is composed of some kind of particles.Nothing here is real,according to the way we think of it in our perception.
    In the spirit world,everything is composed from 'thought'.
    Joanie
    The sky is not blue at 70,000 feet - it;s black! Neither is the sea blue. Take a glass of sea water and you will see it is colourless.
    I stand corrected.
    Lightseeker

Male
    Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2010-01-27

Post  Lightseeker on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:24 pm

I do make a distinction from what a thing is and how we percieve it is. The sky appears blue at 6ft , taking that along a little. Not what things actually are, but how they appear to us as individuals, how they feel to us as individuals in short , How we experience things personally is that which provides the bedrock for our beliefs.
    I believe a flame will burn me because it has done so before. mac says that a belief is not necessary arising from perception. Whilst not fully understanding I accept his position. I do not doubt that should a 70,000 foot tall person or someone at that altitude would regard the sky quiet differently from the way I perceive it. ergo I believe it to be blue (innacurate I know in some quarters) because that is how it appears to me personally.
    In summation, Our beliefs should we have them will depend greatly upon our point of view.
    In answer to the opening question , it is necessary for me to have beliefs personally as for me, they provide reference points , but reference points that provide for me personally where I am , if anywhere in relation to my environment and situation.
    Yet as a juxtaposition and maybe even a contradiction, had the question been Is it necessary to have a religion I would have answered no because religions seem to be represented by anothers point of view and therefore not necessarily an accurate significator of the experiencers position within the ball park that is creation.
    Neville
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:22 pm

had the question been Is it necessary to have a religion I would have answered no because religions seem to be represented by anothers point of view
    I would answer 'no' too

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 am