Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24258
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Cherubs

Post  Violet on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Do you think these really exist or not?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Re: Cherubs

Post  Violet on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:14 pm

1Antiques response
    OK...going out on a limb here (never been HERE before hehe)

The Bible is actually very vague on the many different types of angels we now know. There are several levels mentioned, but most can (and have been) be taken from the ancient pagan religions. The actual word cherub that we use today is the English translation of the Hebrew word Kherub which was actually taken from the Mesopotanians.

I personally feel that, as with most things Jewish and Christian, that these and many more items (as evidenced by our holidays) were merely taken from different pagan groups in an effort to draw them into a new religion.

The Jewish and Christian religions were no different (nor are they now) than any other religion or belief system at the time of their inception. Either you believe as we do and follow our beliefs, or we will kill you and destroy everything having to do with your beliefs. If you research Jewish teachings, you will find that most match up quite well with legends handed down from other groups. I will use he Biblical flood as an example. This accounting actually came from the story of Gilgamesh.

But, I digress. Cherubs? do they exist? We, in our distant past would create stories in an attempt to explain that which was unexplainable to our primitive mind. As time has progressed, these things have become the the roots of every major religion in the world.

Do they exist? Will we ever know? Not until we step out of our mortal bodies and stand face to face with the Creator of All. Then will our understanding return. Until then, we must continue to face our inability to understand with the use of the gods and creatures we have created.

Allen

Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Thanks for your post Allen, as I understand it all kinds of religions have angels even religions you wouldn't necessarily expect to have angels, but i've not heard of too many having cherubs, they look like 'child angels' or 'angel babies' (not that angels can have babies.)

I personally feel that, as with most things Jewish and Christian, that these and many more items (as evidenced by our holidays) were merely taken from different pagan groups in an effort to draw them into a new religion.

A lot of stuff seems to be borrowed or 'pinched' from pagans, an amazing amount when you start looking.

Violet

Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 pm

1Antiques response:
    Actually, cherubs...or cherubim only recently morphed into the chubby little things that we see today.

The book "Angels A to Z" by James R. Lewis and Evelyn Dorothy Olivar states that the actual word Cherubim comes from the Akkadian language and means 'one who prays' or 'one who intercedes'. ( In this I am confused as I had read previously in another source that the word came from the Mesopotanians)

The following is a passage from that book.

Ancient Assyrian art depicts cherubim as having large winged bodies of sphinxes, eagles, and other animals, with the faces of lions or human beings. They were positioned at the entrance to temples and palaces as threshold guardians and reguarded as spirits of protection.

The cherubim are the first angels mentioned in the Bible when they are placed by God at the gates of Eden to prevent Adam and Eve from returning to the Garden: " He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life." In this passage and in others these angels are clearly performing the guardian function they served in ancient Assyria.

In Dyonysian tradition, Gabriel is said to be the chief of the cherubim. The Talmud equates the cherubim with the order of Ophanim (the wheels or chariots) or the order of Hayoth (holy beasts) The cherubim are also known as record keepers who express their love of knowledge and wisdom by helping to carry out the will of God.

I hope this helped some.

Allen

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 pm