A forum for seekers everywhere...


    Christian Spiritualism

    Share
    avatar
    Violet
    Admin

    Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

    Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Violet on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 am

    I went to a Christian Spiritualist church once, I felt very uncomfortable, it didn't feel right somehow and far too 'religious' if that makes sense. Anyone else been to one and what were your feelings?



    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    avatar
    innerlight
    Elite

    Male
    Number of posts : 3807
    Age : 38
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  innerlight on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:41 am

    IMO, Christian is still Christian no matter what you call it. Spiritualist, Mystic, etc. They all follow most of the same precepts hence why they have the moniker Christian.

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  skye on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm


    Perhaps you went to the wrong church Violet. I have in the past regularly visited a Christian Spriritualist Church for a number of years and enjoyed my time there. The only difference I noticed was their belief in Jesus.

    As a Spiritualist, I am not a believer in Jesus being my saviour although, I very much respect his teachings and consider him to have been a remarkable medium who also fully understood how the natural laws worked and with them.

    In a Spiritualist Church hymns are often sung. Obviously God would be mentioned whereas Jesus wouldn't especially in an address or divine service.

    I suppose all churches whatever their religious following you can try a good few before finding one that feels like home.


    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3678
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  mac on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm

    I find the two make uncomfortable bedfellows. Christian Spiritualism combines incompatible elements. The Christian religion asks for certain beliefs and is heavily structured. These are things which are simply not needed to be an adherent of Modern Spiritualism. Like Skye, I see Jesus as a wonderful medium,teacher and healer, not 'the son of God' and quite definitely not a saviour who sacrificed himself for humankind...

    I'm not happy with the words of hymns if they follow the line of those heard in mainstream religions - and that applies in Modern Spiritualist churches in equal measure. Similarly, worship of any kind is anathema to me and crucifixes have no place.

    Too religious in Christian Spiritualist churches? Oh yes, absolutely.
    avatar
    Violet
    Admin

    Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Violet on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 pm

    Like Skye, I see Jesus as a wonderful medium,teacher and healer, not 'the son of God' and quite definitely not a saviour who sacrificed himself for humankind...

    I completely agree.


    I've never felt so uncomfortable in any church as I did in that one and i've been in a few over the years. As for hymns, even in the Spiritualist church there are one or two lines in a certain couple of hymns I will simply omit.



    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    avatar
    Katiecat
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 60
    Age : 40
    Location : Indiana
    Job/hobbies : crystals, rocks, camping, drawing, music, reading, writing, cards, anything metaphysical
    Registration date : 2010-09-09

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Katiecat on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 pm

    I have never been to a Spiritualist church, or a Christian Spiritualist church, but I would if I found one close to me!

    This is something that I really struggle with. My Christian faith and my awakening. I love Jesus, have a great relationship with him. I know he has impacted my life in the past few years when I was going through some rough stuff...and I am very blessed.

    However, I love metaphysical stuff, crystals, tarot cards, etc... And I am gifted in this area as well. So, I deal a lot with "Christian guilt."...as all of this is spoken badly of in the Bible. However, I think that the Bible is contradictory in this area. It says not to visit psychics or to follow the stars...But then Jesus was visited by Magi who followed the North Star to find him...So, thats kind of an oxymoron to me. Who do people think that the Magi were? Also, Christian churches preach that we are suppose to be like Jesus, or strive to be like him... Well how are people suppose to do this unless they learn how by learning how to heal, and other metaphysical stuff?

    I also believe in reincarnation, which I also think is misinterpreted in the Bible.

    So, I suppose a lot of folks consider Christianity and Spiritualism to not mix well. However, sometimes you just have to consider the gray areas of things. What are people like me suppose to do? Totally abandon a faith we have always had, and miss out on everything else? Or try to find a way to blend it all together and see it all under a different light? -which is what I attempt to do.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3678
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  mac on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:57 pm

    "So, I suppose a lot of folks consider Christianity and Spiritualism to not mix well. However, sometimes you just have to consider the gray areas of things. What are people like me suppose to do? Totally abandon a faith we have always had, and miss out on everything else? Or try to find a way to blend it all together and see it all under a different light? -which is what I attempt to do."

    My view? Don't abandon your faith but why be a slave to it? Does it not allow you to be a free-thinker, to be a person who considers evidence rather than slavishly following faith or belief? If it's prescriptive, do you really want that? The truth is the truth and faith or belief may - or may not - touch on it. Christianity, its beliefs and dogmas require far more belief and faith than this simple soul finds acceptable.

    My other view is that "blending" as you call it creates a mish-mash of evidence, faith, belief and dogma - how, then, will you truly know what you have? May I say also that Modern Spiritualism isn't its churches or centres - I'm a dedicated and solid Spiritualist yet I rarely visit churches - take a look at my other postings on this website and several others, perhaps? You might find then that what you hold dear is not compromised but in reality it's little more than a beginning of understanding...

    mac, Albuquerque, New Mexico....and moving on shortly
    avatar
    Katiecat
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 60
    Age : 40
    Location : Indiana
    Job/hobbies : crystals, rocks, camping, drawing, music, reading, writing, cards, anything metaphysical
    Registration date : 2010-09-09

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Katiecat on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 pm

    mac wrote:

    My view? Don't abandon your faith but why be a slave to it? Does it not allow you to be a free-thinker, to be a person who considers evidence rather than slavishly following faith or belief? If it's prescriptive, do you really want that? The truth is the truth and faith or belief may - or may not - touch on it. Christianity, its beliefs and dogmas require far more belief and faith than this simple soul finds acceptable.

    My other view is that "blending" as you call it creates a mish-mash of evidence, faith, belief and dogma - how, then, will you truly know what you have? May I say also that Modern Spiritualism isn't its churches or centres - I'm a dedicated and solid Spiritualist yet I rarely visit churches - take a look at my other postings on this website and several others, perhaps? You might find then that what you hold dear is not compromised but in reality it's little more than a beginning of understanding...

    mac, Albuquerque, New Mexico....and moving on shortly




    I don't feel that I'm a slave to my faith. Sometimes I feel guilty about the way my faith has evolved, and I wonder how right I really am in my "awakening" (as some refer to it). But I feel that "slave" is a strong word. But I see what you are getting at. It is confusing. I'm not a big Bible thumper, and I don't go to church EVERY sunday. I'm not one that tries to convert everyone that I meet. What I hold dear is my personal relationship with Jesus, and his teachings. I also hold dear other relationships that I have with my spirit guides. I especially like how you said that what I "hold dear is not compromised but in reality it's little more than a beginning of understanding..." That really resonates well with me, and I thank you!
    avatar
    Violet
    Admin

    Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Violet on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:12 am

    I think you had it here Katiecat:
    Or try to find a way to blend it all together and see it all under a different light? -which is what I attempt to do.



    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    avatar
    Katiecat
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 60
    Age : 40
    Location : Indiana
    Job/hobbies : crystals, rocks, camping, drawing, music, reading, writing, cards, anything metaphysical
    Registration date : 2010-09-09

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Katiecat on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 am

    Violet wrote:I think you had it here Katiecat:
    Or try to find a way to blend it all together and see it all under a different light? -which is what I attempt to do.

    :thanku: I'm constantly evolving, and I'm OK with that. Finally. (I think lol)
    avatar
    Tomblues
    Member

    Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2010-10-19

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Tomblues on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:38 am

    (ahh he is the Mac) sorry I should have checked the membership list. I think I left a post here a while ago about your topic once. No prob…

    About Christianity, it’s funny because I was never a believer before, but if you really think about it. Is that not a PERFECT way for God to contribute a positive belief system in your hearts and not worry about greed and evil followers going in the wrong direction to pursue something stupid. My example may be bad, but here's a thought, how many people do you think would follow William Gates as the son, especially if he paid you for it or maybe made your life style very nice. E V E R Y O N E!!!! (yup, the lord savior Gates got me a 2 MEG PC and paid for the house)

    Who would EVER follow a pauper that claimed to be the son that came from a barn, around a dozen or so people that saw him do some amazing things? NO-ONE...unless you felt it in your bones or as faith. I think one guy saw him come back to life once??? Naaaaaa....... I could see if there was a lot of crosses on buildings everywhere but I do not think people believe in that crap now........ (sorry that was meant very sarcastically) This world is surrounded in all of our lives, at most all western and european churches, in our speech weather we want to know it or not by the name of Jesus Christ. When I really look over all of the facts I have received for years from everywhere I looked, I will now say the he is the son of God.


    Last edited by Tomblues on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Viking
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Location : Scotland
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Viking on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 pm

    mac has said it all for me. Christianity is full of half truths, omissions, man-made contributions and down right lies.
    There were many saviour Gods before Jesus. There is little doubt that he was very special but not in the way Christians portray him.
    The central concept of Christianity is to do with what you believe ie that Jesus was THE son of God in a special way which doesn't include the rest of us and that he died on the cross for OUR sins. I don't accept that so I'm not a Christian. I set more store on how people behave, not on what they believe. Some of the kindest people I know are not Christians. If you're a spiritualist, you don't need Christianity.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:54 pm

    Very true,Viking.

    After living in this world for many years,what exactly is Christianity?
    Kindness,concern for other?
    Outline it please.
    Joanie

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3678
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  mac on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

    Joanie wrote:Very true,Viking.

    After living in this world for many years,what exactly is Christianity?
    Kindness,concern for other?
    Outline it please.
    Joanie

    It might need a fundamental Christian to adequately define what Christianity is, don't you think? I'd guess it's someone who subscribes to believing what's been taught about the Christ and following the teachings delivered by him.....
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 pm

    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:Very true,Viking.

    After living in this world for many years,what exactly is Christianity?
    Kindness,concern for other?
    Outline it please.
    Joanie

    It might need a fundamental Christian to adequately define what Christianity is, don't you think? I'd guess it's someone who subscribes to believing what's been taught about the Christ and following the teachings delivered by him.....

    I always think of Christianty Mac as being kind to other people.
    To be a Christian is to show good will, not how many times we attend church.

    Joanie
    avatar
    Viking
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Location : Scotland
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Viking on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:34 pm

    No. To be accepted as a Christian, you have to believe in the things I said in my above post. Some Christians have been anything but kind. Just think of all the wars that have been waged because of religion--and they are still going on. What about The Inquisition?
    What about the burning of so-called witches, including Joan d'Arc? They were power hungry from the start and were determined to hold on to that power over ignorant, frightened people who were terrified of going to Hell.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:45 pm

    Viking wrote:No. To be accepted as a Christian, you have to believe in the things I said in my above post. Some Christians have been anything but kind. Just think of all the wars that have been waged because of religion--and they are still going on. What about The Inquisition?
    What about the burning of so-called witches, including Joan d'Arc? They were power hungry from the start and were determined to hold on to that power over ignorant, frightened people who were terrified of going to Hell.

    We all have different ideas on Christianity,Viking.
    it would be a dull world indeed if we didn't.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3678
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  mac on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:45 pm

    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:Very true,Viking.

    After living in this world for many years,what exactly is Christianity?
    Kindness,concern for other?
    Outline it please.
    Joanie

    It might need a fundamental Christian to adequately define what Christianity is, don't you think? I'd guess it's someone who subscribes to believing what's been taught about the Christ and following the teachings delivered by him.....

    I always think of Christianty Mac as being kind to other people.
    To be a Christian is to show good will, not how many times we attend church.

    Joanie

    Maybe that's down to your early upbringing, J? It's certainly not what I see as 'Christianity'....
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:Very true,Viking.

    After living in this world for many years,what exactly is Christianity?
    Kindness,concern for other?
    Outline it please.
    Joanie

    It might need a fundamental Christian to adequately define what Christianity is, don't you think? I'd guess it's someone who subscribes to believing what's been taught about the Christ and following the teachings delivered by him.....

    I always think of Christianty Mac as being kind to other people.
    To be a Christian is to show good will, not how many times we attend church.

    Joanie

    Maybe that's down to your early upbringing, J? It's certainly not what I see as 'Christianity'....
    It is mine though, though we must remember that the word itself is a split up of 'Christ-ianity'.
    So to be perfectly honest,it comes from Christ himself.
    Maybe that's where the religious part comes in.
    avatar
    Viking
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Location : Scotland
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Viking on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:31 pm

    Dull, Joannie? It would be a far better world if we could all be kind. We don't need dogmas for that. They are limiting and divisive.A world of kindness with no Christianity or any other religion would be bliss. The Roman Catholic Church is the wealthiest organisation on earth. How, I wonder, do they equate that with the teachings of The Nazerene? It's all gone horribly wrong somewhere.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

    Viking wrote:Dull, Joannie? It would be a far better world if we could all be kind. We don't need dogmas for that. They are limiting and divisive.A world of kindness with no Christianity or any other religion would be bliss. The Roman Catholic Church is the wealthiest organisation on earth. How, I wonder, do they equate that with the teachings of The Nazerene? It's all gone horribly wrong somewhere.
    Dull,Viking?
    What's dull?
    Oh,I do agree with the wealth of of the catholic church.
    My husband I went to Italy many years ago.
    We were appalled at some of the poverty we saw there.
    People living in shacks by the roadside,while we saw solid good statues in the church.
    Mind,this can happen in every religion,it makes me feel sick.
    avatar
    Viking
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Location : Scotland
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Viking on Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm

    I was referring to your earlier comment, Joannie---

    "it would be a dull world indeed if we didn't."
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  SpiritVoices on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:06 pm

    Viking wrote:I was referring to your earlier comment, Joannie---

    "it would be a dull world indeed if we didn't."

    So I did,it must be old age settling in.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3678
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  mac on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

    Viking wrote:Dull, Joannie? It would be a far better world if we could all be kind. We don't need dogmas for that. They are limiting and divisive.A world of kindness with no Christianity or any other religion would be bliss. The Roman Catholic Church is the wealthiest organisation on earth. How, I wonder, do they equate that with the teachings of The Nazerene? It's all gone horribly wrong somewhere.

    "A world of kindness with no Christianity or any other religion would be bliss" The world from which we came, the one to which we'll return as we all travel back eventually to the source of our creation....
    avatar
    equuslife
    Newbie

    Female
    Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2011-02-02

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  equuslife on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:30 am

    mac wrote:"A world of kindness with no Christianity or any other religion would be bliss" The world from which we came, the one to which we'll return as we all travel back eventually to the source of our creation....

    That pretty much sums it up for me.
    From what I have learned so far I did not realize that "Christian" and "Spiritualism" could even be used together in the same sentence.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Christian Spiritualism

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:42 am