Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Stress

Post  Violet on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 pm

How do you all cope with stress?
    Why do you think so many people get stressed these days, i'm sure I never heard older generations talk about it and i'm sure most have them had good reason to be stressed living through the wars, rationing etc, and if they were out of work they got no help at all, they had few luxuries, and all manner of illnersses to contend with.
    Do you think we have become 'soft' these days, or are we just more open about our feelings?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    mia

Female
    Number of posts : 1741
    Job/hobbies : Carer Support Worker
    Registration date : 2009-07-27

Re: Stress

Post  mia on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Methinks they had stress in those days too, but didnt have a name for it.
    Also they were used to the knocks life gave them.
    I do think we are soft nowadays tbh.
    feather

Female
    Number of posts : 1166
    Registration date : 2010-07-07

Post  feather on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:05 am

I too think that stress has always been around...maybe just taking different guises. In times when persecution resulting in death was the norm for those with different beliefs and ideas and social and personal freedom did not exist for some, stress would have been maybe even greater. It was accepted as part of life and questioning was not an option....no way out. - feather

skye

Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

Post  skye on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 am

Violet wrote:How do you all cope with stress?
    Why do you think so many people get stressed these days, i'm sure I never heard older generations talk about it and i'm sure most have them had good reason to be stressed living through the wars, rationing etc, and if they were out of work they got no help at all, they had few luxuries, and all manner of illnersses to contend with.
    Do you think we have become 'soft' these days, or are we just more open about our feelings?

I assume that after the war peoples attitude changed. Food and other goods became more readily available and after a period of rationing they may have decided things were going to change in their lives. I sometimes wonder if this period in time was where money began to mean more than people. Since then we have gradually declined with each decade.Whilst our focus is on materialistic opportunity the further we move away from our spirituality.

Most stress is brought on by ourselves imo. The 'buy now pay later' schemes that are everywhere on the high street encourages people to buy more than they can afford. Keeping up with the 'Jones' type scenerio. Also not having the courage to say 'no' to the younger generation for fear of not being seen as a good enough parent causes many levels of stress for those people. Life is too fast, we don't bother to stop and smell the roses enough. We could learn a lot from nature if only we would stop a while and listen. :)
    mia

Female
    Number of posts : 1741
    Job/hobbies : Carer Support Worker
    Registration date : 2009-07-27

Post  mia on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 am

oops, I didnt notice the first question "How do you cope with stress"?

mmm I gonna be honest.
    Not very well, but I get by.
    Depending on what the cause is.
    If its money, once I have spoken to those who are expecting a payment, I feel better.
    If its work related, like too much work, I usually just have to carry on until it eases up.
    I sleep as much as possible and meditation helps a lot.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi Skye I agree that stress about money can be brought on by ourselves sometimes in the way you highlighted, but not all the time such as when you get made redundant etc there is very little work out there at the moment.

I agree with this too:
    Since then we have gradually declined with each decade.Whilst our focus is on materialistic opportunity the further we move away from our spirituality.

Feather I think you're right too, in fact I think stress is probably what caused many to end up in the asylums.

I'm the same as you Mia it depends what the cause of the stress is, I try never to worry about money as long as there's food in and we have a roof over our heads anything else is a luxury.

innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3807
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post  innerlight on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Most of our stress is made because of our dependency on things. Money, job, significant others. So when it doesn't go according to ones plans they get stressed, and have to grudge on until it is resolved. Many of us are so dependent that they can not function without it. So they can't leave their jobs. And continue along get more and more angry and stressed to it's either resolved, or they make themselves sick.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Many of us are so dependent that they can not function without it.
    It's a sad fact that none of us can function without money, the law doesn't allow it, self sufficiency would be fine if you could actually do it, unharrassed, but there would always be something to pay out there always is.

innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Violet wrote:
    It's a sad fact that none of us can function without money, the law doesn't allow it, self sufficiency would be fine if you could actually do it, unharrassed, but there would always be something to pay out there always is.
    Yes, as of this time we can not function without it... I was referring more to those that are making it by pay check to pay check that when that paycheck is done they have nothing to fall back on to. They also live with the stress of needing that job.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi Innerlight, I think the majority of people live like that, most live to their means or just below their means and most are struggling due to the recession, no one can afford to tuck a little away for a rainy day anymore.

innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Violet wrote:Hi Innerlight, I think the majority of people live like that, most live to their means or just below their means and most are struggling due to the recession, no one can afford to tuck a little away for a rainy day anymore.

And, IMO, that is why many are struggling and full of stress. Even before the recession happened none really had a solid backup plan in store. So when tough times hit they were felt by it, and felt it hard. I also know what it's like to have been living pay check to paycheck, hoping that my debit card is not declined atthe pay counter. It is a very stressful life, and is probably the biggest stress factor in a persons life. Also one of the biggest things that causes break ups in relationships.
    I also see people that create the holes they are in struggling for money, and then buy some item they do not need. Can barely afford the one kid they have, and then decide to have another one.

skye

Female

Post  skye on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:10 am

Do you not feel though that people in 3rd world countries are far happier than those of us in the west? They have very little in their lives not even the basic necessities, yet they pull together and don't appear to get stressed as we can. I understand they may be stressed but I do feel stress is more in the western side of the world. I suppose our poorest of the poor can seem like a millionaire to someone from a poorer country. It often makes me wonder that we - or at least I - don't have our priorities right at all. If only we could forget about self and focus on Self, i'm sure our lives would change dramatically for the better. Back to my dreams...
    innerlight
    Elite

Male

Post  innerlight on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:50 am

skye wrote:Do you not feel though that people in 3rd world countries are far happier than those of us in the west? They have very little in their lives not even the basic necessities, yet they pull together and don't appear to get stressed as we can. I understand they may be stressed but I do feel stress is more in the western side of the world. I suppose our poorest of the poor can seem like a millionaire to someone from a poorer country. It often makes me wonder that we - or at least I - don't have our priorities right at all. If only we could forget about self and focus on Self, i'm sure our lives would change dramatically for the better. Back to my dreams...

It depends on where you are coming from. If you were well off then lost money you may then be stressed out as your life style would change. Third world countries are accustomed to it so are able to be better adapted to it. Here there is battle of the strongest survive. There it's everyone trying to survive.

skye

Female

Post  skye on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:28 pm

innerlight wrote:
    skye wrote:Do you not feel though that people in 3rd world countries are far happier than those of us in the west? They have very little in their lives not even the basic necessities, yet they pull together and don't appear to get stressed as we can. I understand they may be stressed but I do feel stress is more in the western side of the world. I suppose our poorest of the poor can seem like a millionaire to someone from a poorer country. It often makes me wonder that we - or at least I - don't have our priorities right at all. If only we could forget about self and focus on Self, i'm sure our lives would change dramatically for the better. Back to my dreams...

It depends on where you are coming from. If you were well off then lost money you may then be stressed out as your life style would change. Third world countries are accustomed to it so are able to be better adapted to it. Here there is battle of the strongest survive. There it's everyone trying to survive.

bring back the days of bartering is what I say. Money always seems to create more problems than what it's worth doesn't it? I'm not so sure if I agree that it's the strongest that survive, perhaps it could be said it's the wealthiest. Many people who are poor have more strength than those who have plenty.

It's a bit like one's health, when we are fit, healthy and strong we choose to ignore the effects our lifestyle has on our lives. The moment sickness and disease comes in we realise the error of our ways and wish we had taken more care of what is important. I suppose compassion has to come from somewhere and what better way than from experience.

Deep down I feel every person has some amount of stress in their lives and it is easy for them to deal with. When circumstances change we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel because panic can set in exacerbating the situation. I admit if I won even a million on the lotttery it would stress me out, too much money has it's downside. Being responsible for a huge amount of money must take some doing. Nothing's ever easy hey?
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 am