A forum for seekers everywhere...


    What if there was no afterlife?

    Share
    avatar
    Violet
    Admin

    Female
    Number of posts : 24346
    Location : UK
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

    What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  Violet on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:04 pm

    First topic message reminder :

    Suppose someone proved there was no afterlife how would this affect you, I don't mean regarding your beliefs as such, but would it make you more fearful of death?



    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:51 pm

    Viking wrote:Yes I have read about the silver cord and, I think, most aspects of the spiritual. I am familiar with the notion of dimensions etc etc. What I lack is my proof. The desire for it is strong so what am I doing wrong? Am I not advanced enough to be at that stage? Even if I'm not, you'd think I would get evidence from mediums. Our family was very close and my Dad especially read as much as he could about spirit. You'd think he would come and give me a message. One medium at the SAGB mentioned him and then ruined it by saying Dad was keen on wrestling. Nothing could be further from the truth. He was a gentle soul who lived for his family and his classical music which he played in the living room of our home. Wrestling?? No way!!

    The most interesting book to read about the spirit world is called 'Life in the World Unseen' by Anthony Borgia.
    It explains everything about passing over and life in the spirit world.
    I don't think you will find any better reading matter for explanations than this book.
    Joanie

    zerdini
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 611
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  zerdini on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm

    Viking wrote:
    What I lack is my proof. The desire for it is strong so what am I doing wrong? Am I not advanced enough to be at that stage? Even if I'm not, you'd think I would get evidence from mediums.
    Not necessarily, Viking. Good mediums who can produce first class evidence of survival are rarer than hen's teeth!
    You are not doing anything wrong. Be patient, talk to your loved ones in your mind, ask them if they can to direct you towards someone on earth who can help you. Don't give up and I feel sure you will eventually get the evidence you need.

    zerdini
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 611
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  zerdini on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:07 pm

    Deepwaters wrote:Are there any books you would particularly recommend, zerdini?
    There are a number but I need to know what particular aspect of mediumship or survival you are interested in, Deepwater.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm

    It's a sad and frustrating business to see someone obviously desperate for personal evidence but unable to find it.

    In another spooks forum we have a good friend who has the most knowledge about all aspects of survival and about Modern Spiritualism that a non-Spiritualist is likely to have! Yet he continues to search in vain for the personal evidence he needs for any of all that to have any real value for him.....
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:13 pm

    That rings a bell,Mac.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:16 pm

    Joanie wrote:That rings a bell,Mac.

    It's not you, Joanie....
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm

    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:That rings a bell,Mac.

    It's not you, Joanie....
    Bless your little heart!
    Didn't think it was. I moan about having no faith but deep down,I think I really do believe.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:28 pm

    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:That rings a bell,Mac.

    It's not you, Joanie....
    Bless your little heart!
    Didn't think it was. I moan about having no faith but deep down,I think I really do believe.

    I didn't really think you had thought it was you, J, but didn't want any uncertainty.

    You know - and I know that you know - about 'stuff'....
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:46 pm

    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:That rings a bell,Mac.

    It's not you, Joanie....
    Bless your little heart!
    Didn't think it was. I moan about having no faith but deep down,I think I really do believe.



    I didn't really think you had thought it was you, J, but didn't want any uncertainty.

    You know - and I know that you know - about 'stuff'....

    Ssshhh!
    Gags Mac!

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm

    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:That rings a bell,Mac.

    It's not you, Joanie....
    Bless your little heart!
    Didn't think it was. I moan about having no faith but deep down,I think I really do believe.



    I didn't really think you had thought it was you, J, but didn't want any uncertainty.

    You know - and I know that you know - about 'stuff'....

    Ssshhh!
    Gags Mac!

    lips are now tightly closed...

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 pm

    J, what would a certain individual, on a certain website, be screaming if these multi-quotes were used on that certain website's forum pages?

    She'd be apolplectic, spittin' feathers, deleting and tidying in a terrible tizzy....

    OCD perhaps?
    avatar
    Viking
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Location : Scotland
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  Viking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 pm

    Joanie, I've read all the books but they don't convince me as personal evidence would do. The ones that are more likely to convince me are based on science and the strides that seem to be being made there to close the gulf between science and the paranormal in general. I believe that science will discover that link eventually. After all, if spirit exists, it must be detectable by some means probably not discovered yet. Would a 16th century person have accepted that a human could walk on the moon? I don't think so. Therefore there's hope for me yet. I do think, though, that some people accept as proof what others would not. Any book on spiritualism makes me think hard but other people's convictions do not advance me any further.
    avatar
    Panda
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 65
    Age : 22
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  Panda on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:52 pm

    Here me out here, ok? What if there was an after life but there wasn't? This may sound bizarre but I kind of believe in this. Every person is different; they have different personalities, different looks, and different view on fate. For every person... Maybe their after life is different. One person may go to a heaven like place. Maybe some can go to a hell? Hey, for all we know… This can be the after life. I sure hope it's not but we never know.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 pm

    Viking wrote:Joanie, I've read all the books but they don't convince me as personal evidence would do. The ones that are more likely to convince me are based on science and the strides that seem to be being made there to close the gulf between science and the paranormal in general. I believe that science will discover that link eventually. After all, if spirit exists, it must be detectable by some means probably not discovered yet. Would a 16th century person have accepted that a human could walk on the moon? I don't think so. Therefore there's hope for me yet. I do think, though, that some people accept as proof what others would not. Any book on spiritualism makes me think hard but other people's convictions do not advance me any further.

    That's a near identically similar position to that held by the website member I mentioned earlier.

    How very different we all are - no revelation there in my saying that - duh

    It's taught that we should accept only that which appeals to our reason and that we will be able to understand matters only when the time is right for us. (or words to that effect)

    The older I get, the more all that sounds exactly right.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 pm

    mac wrote:J, what would a certain individual, on a certain website, be screaming if these multi-quotes were used on that certain website's forum pages?

    She'd be apolplectic, spittin' feathers, deleting and tidying in a terrible tizzy....

    OCD perhaps?




    I know exactly who you mean,Mac.
    I actually drummed up the courage to 'quote' the other day.
    Nowt was said.
    So far!

    zerdini
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 611
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  zerdini on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

    Panda wrote:Here me out here, ok? What if there was an after life but there wasn't? This may sound bizarre but I kind of believe in this. Every person is different; they have different personalities, different looks, and different view on fate. For every person... Maybe their after life is different. One person may go to a heaven like place. Maybe some can go to a hell? Hey, for all we know… This can be the after life. I sure hope it's not but we never know.
    The Afterlife isn't like that, Panda. There is a substantial amount of evidence on the internet apart from 150 years of evidence chronicled in books. You will also find some detailed on this forum.
    avatar
    Viking
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 234
    Location : Scotland
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  Viking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:56 pm

    On the other hand, being overly credulous does not necessarily mean further advanced spiritually.
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:59 pm

    Viking wrote:Joanie, I've read all the books but they don't convince me as personal evidence would do. The ones that are more likely to convince me are based on science and the strides that seem to be being made there to close the gulf between science and the paranormal in general. I believe that science will discover that link eventually. After all, if spirit exists, it must be detectable by some means probably not discovered yet. Would a 16th century person have accepted that a human could walk on the moon? I don't think so. Therefore there's hope for me yet. I do think, though, that some people accept as proof what others would not. Any book on spiritualism makes me think hard but other people's convictions do not advance me any further.

    Something I missed,Viking.
    What books have you read on Scientific and Paranormal investigation?
    Would be interested in the titles and authors of those,if you don't mind.
    Joanie x

    zerdini
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 611
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  zerdini on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:03 pm

    Viking wrote:On the other hand, being overly credulous does not necessarily mean further advanced spiritually.
    Very true but I was not suggesting being credulous. This is a vast subject and should approached using reason and commonsense.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

    Viking wrote:On the other hand, being overly credulous does not necessarily mean further advanced spiritually.

    Did anyone suggest it did.......? And how much is "over credulous", as you put it, anyway?

    Perhaps the well-balanced way is to weigh up what's being said, analyse it thoroughly, look for corroboration from other sources, see what feels right for you personally..... That's the system I use.
    Can't see why it wouldn't work for anyone serious about a subject.

    I wouldn't term that as 'over credulous', would you?

    zerdini
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 611
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2011-01-28

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  zerdini on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:22 pm

    On the contrary, mac, I would say that is a very sensible approach.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

    Joanie wrote:
    mac wrote:J, what would a certain individual, on a certain website, be screaming if these multi-quotes were used on that certain website's forum pages?

    She'd be apolplectic, spittin' feathers, deleting and tidying in a terrible tizzy....

    OCD perhaps?




    I know exactly who you mean,Mac.
    I actually drummed up the courage to 'quote' the other day.
    Nowt was said.
    So far!

    Off-topic so apologies to readers following the thread.....

    What is needed is for all interested and active members to say to the OCD person - the hell with it - I'll use the 'Quote' button whenever I choose and if you don't like it, you can tidy away all you like after me....
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm

    Many apoligies to other members.
    Mac and I know a site where 'quotes' are not allowed which is rather awkward if one member wishes to reply to a certain post by another.

    End of subject.
    Joanie x

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3691
    Age : 71
    Location : lives in central England, UK
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  mac on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:29 pm

    Joanie wrote:Many apoligies to other members.
    Mac and I know a site where 'quotes' are not allowed which is rather awkward if one member wishes to reply to a certain post by another.

    End of subject.
    Joanie x

    quite!
    avatar
    SpiritVoices
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Location : UK
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  SpiritVoices on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm

    mac wrote:
    Joanie wrote:Many apoligies to other members.
    Mac and I know a site where 'quotes' are not allowed which is rather awkward if one member wishes to reply to a certain post by another.

    End of subject.
    Joanie x

    quite!

    A woman always has the last word.

    Sponsored content

    Re: What if there was no afterlife?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:46 am