Apologies

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24260
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Apologies

Post  Violet on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 am

Apologies for the announcements (scrolling messages at the top of the forum) i've temporarily turned them off until he matter is rectified, I should be in tonight at some point.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 3452
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Re: Apologies

Post  mac on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Violet wrote:Apologies for the announcements (scrolling messages at the top of the forum) i've temporarily turned them off until he matter is rectified, I should be in tonight at some point.

Isn't this the point I asked about when I first joined?
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24260
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi Mac, they were all clumped together in a solid block, not scrolling and all to the left of the page when I looked in earlier so I had to turn them off as it looked a mess, i'll have another look later. I know you weren't keen on them as you found them distracting and I changed the direction of the scrolling to minimise that, are they still bugging you?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:32 am

Violet wrote:Hi Mac, they were all clumped together in a solid block, not scrolling and all to the left of the page when I looked in earlier so I had to turn them off as it looked a mess, i'll have another look later. I know you weren't keen on them as you found them distracting and I changed the direction of the scrolling to minimise that, are they still bugging you?

I still find movement distracting but now I'm used to the website layout I quickly move away from the area of movement anyway.... As such, then, the moving section would provide no announcement for me unless the format were sufficiently different to cause me to take a look.

I use several websites on a multi-visit-a-day basis and none of them use moving announcements - that's why I initially found SI uncomfortable. It's just me I know - I'm weird!!
    AngelTony

Male
    Number of posts : 1227
    Registration date : 2010-04-08

Post  AngelTony on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:50 pm

mac wrote:
    Violet wrote:Hi Mac, they were all clumped together in a solid block, not scrolling and all to the left of the page when I looked in earlier so I had to turn them off as it looked a mess, i'll have another look later. I know you weren't keen on them as you found them distracting and I changed the direction of the scrolling to minimise that, are they still bugging you?

I still find movement distracting but now I'm used to the website layout I quickly move away from the area of movement anyway.... As such, then, the moving section would provide no announcement for me unless the format were sufficiently different to cause me to take a look.

I use several websites on a multi-visit-a-day basis and none of them use moving announcements - that's why I initially found SI uncomfortable. It's just me I know - I'm weird!!

You must loose your mind on Yahoo or the dictionary sites!

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 pm

AngelTony wrote:
    mac wrote:

You must loose your mind on Yahoo or the dictionary sites!

They can become quite wearisome at times!! But I shouldn't grumble because I get all these services for free, courtesy of the advertisers whose adverts are constantly on the move....

Gotta be good value

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

I gotta be honest, Violet, and say that I do rather like the Homepage without movement.... Thanks, though, for the changes you made earlier
    to lessen my discomfort.

After I spent my early time looking at the various forums' titles from the home page, and choosing those which are most relevant to my interests, I now find I don't spend many seconds there on any visit to the website.

I must have become a (bigger?) grouch as I got older....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:22 pm