Donating to science

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24347
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Donating to science

Post  Violet on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

I've heard many spiritually minded people say they don't care what happens to the body after they die as it is only a vessel, a casing etc, i'm inclined to agree with that, a lot of them have also said they are thinking of donating it to science and having no service etc, personally I think relatives would like some kind of send off for their loved ones, especially those who are not spiritually inclined, I think it would be heartbreaking for those, what are your thoughts on this?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Deepwaters

Female
    Number of posts : 277
    Registration date : 2010-01-28

Re: Donating to science

Post  Deepwaters on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:15 am

I saw a documentary about what different uses the donated bodies were put to. Some are abandoned outdoors on terrains with various types of soil for certain periods of time and regularly checked to see how the decomposition has advanced, what insects etc have eaten or lain eggs in the flesh, what stages larvae are at, etc.
    Our spirits and bodies live together during our lifetime, supporting one another, and to finish in this way would seem to me personally like a betrayal to a body that has served well and does not deserve to be tossed away like so much rubbish. I know burial means that the bodies decompose and are eaten away, but at least they have been treated with respect.
    As you say, Violet, there is also the grieving process for loved ones for whom burial or cremation, with or without a religious service, is often an important part of saying goodbye.
    I know the arguments put forward to support donating our body to science, but surely we should be seeking alternative ways of carrying out such research.
    L'angel

Female
    Number of posts : 276
    Registration date : 2010-02-06

Post  L'angel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I do think that you can specify (maybe with some institutions) how your body is "laid to rest" after the experiments, etc. are carried out! My aunt who was(born) a witch, but who also had terrible addictions, etc..... could never quite get it together. She discussed with her Dr. many times about donating her remains so that her brain could be studied to maybe figure out if some of her problems had to do with an abnormality in her brain...etc. We did have a small service for her. She specified that when they were done with her body, that she be buried at sea. When that was done, the family was notified somehow (by letter I think)I do not remember a whole lot about it, but I do remember that!
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Deepwaters wrote:I saw a documentary about what different uses the donated bodies were put to. Some are abandoned outdoors on terrains with various types of soil for certain periods of time and regularly checked to see how the decomposition has advanced, what insects etc have eaten or lain eggs in the flesh, what stages larvae are at, etc.
    Our spirits and bodies live together during our lifetime, supporting one another, and to finish in this way would seem to me personally like a betrayal to a body that has served well and does not deserve to be tossed away like so much rubbish. I know burial means that the bodies decompose and are eaten away, but at least they have been treated with respect.
    As you say, Violet, there is also the grieving process for loved ones for whom burial or cremation, with or without a religious service, is often an important part of saying goodbye.
    I know the arguments put forward to support donating our body to science, but surely we should be seeking alternative ways of carrying out such research.

The thought of something like that would torture their loved ones for all eternity, I hope they are never told how the bodies are used.

Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:09 pm

L'angel wrote:I do think that you can specify (maybe with some institutions) how your body is "laid to rest" after the experiments, etc. are carried out! My aunt who was(born) a witch, but who also had terrible addictions, etc..... could never quite get it together. She discussed with her Dr. many times about donating her remains so that her brain could be studied to maybe figure out if some of her problems had to do with an abnormality in her brain...etc. We did have a small service for her. She specified that when they were done with her body, that she be buried at sea. When that was done, the family was notified somehow (by letter I think)I do not remember a whole lot about it, but I do remember that!

That offers some comfort L'Angel that they are treated with respect when they finish the research, thanks for sharing your thoughts Deepwaters, and your aunt's story L'Angel

L'angel

Female
    Number of posts : 276
    Registration date : 2010-02-06

Post  L'angel on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 pm

I do regret not having learned about the outcome of their studies(I am sure that they never reveal that to the families, etc.) because she was an aunt on my mother's side and it seems that there were many psychological problems with that family. I do not know if they were inhereted or were physical factors. Out of the entire family only 2 (a male and a female, both witches) seemed to be "normal". Even my other aunt that donated her body had many problems. I do not know all the details, but I know that being a witch that she tried very hard to overcome hers, with the craft and conventional methods. It has always puzzled me! I just had an idea as I type, I think that I will try, with the help of a friend, to contact her! I will post if I get anything.
    Love and Light
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:30 am

Please do L'Angel i'd be interested in learning more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 am