Flowers at funerals?

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24346
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Flowers at funerals?

Post  Violet on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 am

Why do we take flowers to funerals? Is there anyone here who doesn't, and if so do you take something else instead, where did it start and why?

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    innerlight
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3807
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Flowers at funerals?

Post  innerlight on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:26 am

They originally started with fruit baskets, but after the deceased would not use the basket, and the fruit just sat there. They decided to use something that could be planted afterwards to blossom again.

Kaere

Female
    Number of posts : 2719
    Registration date : 2009-05-19

Post  Kaere on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 am

LOL Inner!
    I thought flowers were customary in order to disguise the smell of death. Then the tradition just stuck around. Plus they're pretty. I don't send flowers to the family when someone dies, but I do make a donation on their behalf either to the hospital that took care of them or an association (cancer, lung, etc).
    shayn

Female
    Number of posts : 4035
    Job/hobbies : tarot reader
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post  shayn on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:28 pm

actually i never thought about this question, it is only a guess as i think there is something in Kaere's post about the smell of the dead body, but if i think about it, we use flowers very often to express our emotions, often to show love, and i thought that it is kind of a way to show our love to the dead by placing flowers around it.  and also by sending flowers to the family, it shows them we care and our love. but this is only my thoughts.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:29 pm

I really like all your responses and think all of you have hit on something, what shayn said about giving them as a token of love is lovely.

wyldeflower

Female
    Number of posts : 117
    Job/hobbies : photography,gardening,herbs
    Registration date : 2009-09-22

Post  wyldeflower on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 am

I would like wildflowers at my funeral as i think they over charge for funeral flowers.i suppose its a tradition to give something to the deceased.probably was to disguise the smell of death as they used to scatter herbs around to mask smells.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 pm

I prefer wildflowers too, I think they're far prettier even if some do call them weeds.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:45 pm