A forum for seekers everywhere...


    Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Share
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 pm

    First topic message reminder :

    I started meditating about 20 years ago because, at that time,  I felt the need to find peace and I knew somehow that it was within. I read about meditation and got as far as the line that says....switch off your thoughts.... and found that I couldnt do that... my thoughts had a lot to say. Then I bought a guided meditation tape (yes a tape lol) but I found that I just listened to the soft voice and relaxed, but didnt find peace. I tried music to meditate to and that helped for a short while. 

    Then I gave up tryjng to meditate, but I realised that just having that short time each day to sit quietly and relax felt good. So thats what I did and in time, I drifted quite naturally into a meditative state. Over the years the meditative state became deeper (or higher - depending on which way you look at it) and without defining any specific intention, my time out took me into some different states.

    Sometimes I would enter a dream state and would go on a journey that would offer some teaching or understanding from it. Sometimes, I would feel lkke I was floating higher and higher and would reach a state that I felt was healing. Other times I would be in a state of concious notningness. And at times I would just fall asleep. Because of these experiences, Ive come to trust that time out to bring about what I need. So I am often a little dubious about meditating with intention to reach something specific.

    I have tried different types of meditation practise and really enjoyed them. I particularly enjoy meditating with others... that is quite special. But more often than not, I still just sit quietly and trust.

    Im interested in hearing about other peolles experiences with meditation.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 54
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Gemmy on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:02 am

    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    No. Its about being open to the unknown. Even considering the possibility that there is unknown.
    Ok, I don't see that involves imagining anything, though.
    From what I can work out from those that have followed eastern philosophies and religions, I wonder if the translation of words for thought or imagination dont translate well nto English. Wherever it has come from, I do feel that the benefits of of deep thought or contemplation and imagination have become lost in spirituality. Though I recognise that there are benefits to letting go of mind chatter and gaining perspective of perception.
    Often Eastern terminology can't be accurately translated.  In that the spiritual precedes thought there is no way of working it out, but in the meditations I have found there are long chains of thought that start to unwind, and contemplation isn't really an effort of thought as much as it a free flow of thought, and imagination is what the mind does, so we know the nature of thought is, in essence, incredible.  Once it is seen to be fundamentally untrue, it loses its importance, so we can think or not think for all the difference it makes, and that to me is a mind that's free to think, and also free of its own thoughts.
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:03 am

    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Ok, I don't see that involves imagining anything, though.
    From what I can work out from those that have followed eastern philosophies and religions, I wonder if the translation of words for thought or imagination dont translate well nto English. Wherever it has come from, I do feel that the benefits of of deep thought or contemplation and imagination have become lost in spirituality. Though I recognise that there are benefits to letting go of mind chatter and gaining perspective of perception.
    Often Eastern terminology can't be accurately translated.  In that the spiritual precedes thought there is no way of working it out, but in the meditations I have found there are long chains of thought that start to unwind, and contemplation isn't really an effort of thought as much as it a free flow of thought, and imagination is what the mind does, so we know the nature of thought is, in essence, incredible.  Once it is seen to be fundamentally untrue, it loses its importance, so we can think or not think for all the difference it makes, and that to me is a mind that's free to think, and also free of its own thoughts.
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    avatar
    Amore
    Newbie

    Female
    Number of posts : 36
    Location : Universe
    Job/hobbies : Teaching, Piano, etc
    Registration date : 2017-11-19

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Amore on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:01 pm

    I’ve enjoyed reading comments & getting ideas.

    BlueAnchor,
    What you mentioned about trusting without a specific intention makes sense.  Thanks.  Subconsciously we have hopes & fears, and I’m all for learning and goals, but I think there is wisdom in letting go and letting God (or higher spirit) guide in what’s most needed.

    I’m in the process of collecting helpful symbols.  When I’ve dreamt, I’ve sometimes looked up meaning in this dream dictionary (there’s one online too).  So I thought, “maybe it works in reversal - I can kindof give my subconscious mind ideas to work with.”  I’m not sure if it will help or not, but I do think symbols can sometimes communicate what words can’t.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 54
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Gemmy on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    From what I can work out from those that have followed eastern philosophies and religions, I wonder if the translation of words for thought or imagination dont translate well nto English. Wherever it has come from, I do feel that the benefits of of deep thought or contemplation and imagination have become lost in spirituality. Though I recognise that there are benefits to letting go of mind chatter and gaining perspective of perception.
    Often Eastern terminology can't be accurately translated.  In that the spiritual precedes thought there is no way of working it out, but in the meditations I have found there are long chains of thought that start to unwind, and contemplation isn't really an effort of thought as much as it a free flow of thought, and imagination is what the mind does, so we know the nature of thought is, in essence, incredible.  Once it is seen to be fundamentally untrue, it loses its importance, so we can think or not think for all the difference it makes, and that to me is a mind that's free to think, and also free of its own thoughts.
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 pm

    Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 54
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Gemmy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 am

    psychoslice wrote:Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    Well, meditation itself isn't really something anyone does.  It's more like an awareness of what already is.
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 am

    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    Well, meditation itself isn't really something anyone does.  It's more like an awareness of what already is.
    Yes I found that out also, just that many have different reasons and its interesting to hear them. I found when i started to meditate that I was trying to force myself into silence, not realizing I was already that, thanks Gemmy boy. :astar:
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 am

    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Often Eastern terminology can't be accurately translated.  In that the spiritual precedes thought there is no way of working it out, but in the meditations I have found there are long chains of thought that start to unwind, and contemplation isn't really an effort of thought as much as it a free flow of thought, and imagination is what the mind does, so we know the nature of thought is, in essence, incredible.  Once it is seen to be fundamentally untrue, it loses its importance, so we can think or not think for all the difference it makes, and that to me is a mind that's free to think, and also free of its own thoughts.
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    In what way?
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:13 am

    Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    How has it changed how you see life or meditation?
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 am

    Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    How has it changed how you see life or meditation?
    Well since my experience in so called Oneness my life has changed, I no longer let the past rule my life, or the future that is only a dream. I enjoy being by myself ans have many hobbies, the blissfulness that I experience is still resonating through my life everyday, and so I no longer need to meditate, but it certainly was a great stepping stone.
    avatar
    gigpdo
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 508
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  gigpdo on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 am

    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:

    Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:



    :soap: :cat:
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:44 am


    gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:

    Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:



    :soap: :cat:
    Oh yes, I haven't seen one of those for years, I love dolls, I even make them as a hobby. :bfs:
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:48 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    How has it changed how you see life or meditation?
    Well since my experience in so called Oneness my life has changed, I no longer let the past rule my life, or the future that is only a dream. I enjoy being by myself ans have many hobbies, the blissfulness that I experience is still resonating through my life everyday, and so I no longer need to meditate, but it certainly was a great stepping stone.
    Its good thaf youve found a way to change your life and move on from your past. 

    For me, meditation isnt a method of practise towards a goal, it is simply allowing the meditative state to occur.... rather than stepping stone to somewhere or something. In that way, its part of life as are other natural states. I dont try to make them happen, nor try to stop them happening. What is, is.
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 am

    Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:
    How has it changed how you see life or meditation?
    Well since my experience in so called Oneness my life has changed, I no longer let the past rule my life, or the future that is only a dream. I enjoy being by myself ans have many hobbies, the blissfulness that I experience is still resonating through my life everyday, and so I no longer need to meditate, but it certainly was a great stepping stone.
    Its good thaf youve found a way to change your life and move on from your past. 

    For me, meditation isnt a method of practise towards a goal, it is simply allowing the meditative state to occur.... rather than stepping stone to somewhere or something. In that way, its part of life as are other natural states. I dont try to make them happen, nor try to stop them happening. What is, is.
    Yes I agree, and that's a nice way of putting it.
    avatar
    gigpdo
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 508
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  gigpdo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:12 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:

    Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:



    :soap: :cat:
    Oh yes, I haven't seen one of those for years, I love dolls, I even make them as a hobby. :bfs:
    Cool!,my sister in law has the same hobby,but she lives in "pomgolia", lol,
    But your doll is very well done,I like it!
    My love of cupee dolls comes from an old movie,an Aussie movie, a movie that I still wait to come on free to air tv.
    "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll", what a brilliant piece of art,hence my reference to the "cupee doll"!


    :soap: :cat:
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 am

    gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:

    Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:



    :soap: :cat:
    Oh yes, I haven't seen one of those for years, I love dolls, I even make them as a hobby. :bfs:
    Cool!,my sister in law has the same hobby,but she lives in "pomgolia", lol,
    But your doll is very well done,I like it!
    My love of cupee dolls comes from an old movie,an Aussie movie, a movie that I still wait to come on free to air tv.
    "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll", what a brilliant piece of art,hence my reference to the "cupee doll"!


    :soap: :cat:
    Gee that's an old movie, its actually on you-tube if you want to download it.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 54
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Gemmy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 am

    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Yes, thats how I understand thought. Although I do interpret imagination in a different way.
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    In what way?
    Typical meditation narratives advocate controlling the mind.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 54
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Gemmy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Can I ask, why do you meditate, not what the books say, but why you yourself meditate, simple question but is there a simple answer ?.
    Well, meditation itself isn't really something anyone does.  It's more like an awareness of what already is.
    Yes I found that out also, just that many have different reasons and its interesting to hear them. I found when i started to meditate that I was trying to force myself into silence, not realizing I was already that, thanks Gemmy boy. :astar:
    Yes, most teachers are selling that through some sort of method.
    avatar
    gigpdo
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 508
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  gigpdo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:Myself I don't mediate anymore, I see my life as a meditation, and it works for me. :med:

    Give this man a "cupee doll",.lol,.:happy:



    :soap: :cat:
    Oh yes, I haven't seen one of those for years, I love dolls, I even make them as a hobby. :bfs:
    Cool!,my sister in law has the same hobby,but she lives in "pomgolia", lol,
    But your doll is very well done,I like it!
    My love of cupee dolls comes from an old movie,an Aussie movie, a movie that I still wait to come on free to air tv.
    "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll", what a brilliant piece of art,hence my reference to the "cupee doll"!


    :soap: :cat:
    Gee that's an old movie, its actually on you-tube if you want to download it.
    Yes, but if you remember I moved house/unit 4 weeks ago and amazingly still have a WiFi signal issue, any cloud and I'm dead in the water, just waiting for this page after hitting the "reply with quote" button was a test, I actually got up and made a cup of tea and was still waiting!,lol, but I do have plenty of timetime.


    :soap: :cat:
    avatar
    gigpdo
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 508
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  gigpdo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 am

    Where on earth does this oversize writing come from??????

    Its starting to get on my wick,is it my tablet or what!.I do everything exactly the same each post, first time the whole thing is big, not just a paragraph!

    Any solution anyone!, or cause, I have a laptop on layby but worried now about signal strength, and I know you all love reading my complex and mind boggling and mind numbing threads and posts, I just hate letting my "public" down!,lol,....
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm

    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Interesting, please elaborate.
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    In what way?
    Typical meditation narratives advocate controlling the mind.
    Yes, there are few narratives that dont advocate a particular way but its only ever one way that one human being found beneficial and other people followed.
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 895
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  psychoslice on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:44 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    When its allowed to flow without thought controlling it, then imagination becomes a language that conveys a primordial essence of being. Imagination doesnt pretend to be real or true, yet it reflects what the human mind cant describe into the metaphoric representations that it can.
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    In what way?
    Typical meditation narratives advocate controlling the mind.
    Yes, there are few narratives that dont advocate a particular way but its only ever one way that one human being found beneficial and other people followed.
    This is true, just because someone uses a way that helped them doesn't mean everyone has to follow that particular way, the Buddha is only a man who after quite awhile became enlightened, but he isn't the only one many have became enlightened without ever know the Buddha, or Siddhartha Gautama which is his real name.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1161
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Blueanchor on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:00 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    So we address the facet of control mainly, and without control as you say is interesting because it contradicts the 'typical narrative' on meditation...
    In what way?
    Typical meditation narratives advocate controlling the mind.
    Yes, there are few narratives that dont advocate a particular way but its only ever one way that one human being found beneficial and other people followed.
    This is true, just because someone uses a way that helped them doesn't mean everyone has to follow that particular way, the Buddha is only a man who after quite awhile became enlightened, but he isn't the only one many have became enlightened without ever know the Buddha, or Siddhartha Gautama which is his real name.
    Some dont even believe that enlightenment is any more that a moment of realising something that we didnt realise the moment before. 

    Your own narrative is no different.
    avatar
    gigpdo
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 508
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  gigpdo on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:02 am

    We live the moment or present every second of our lives, my life is a meditation, or what's left of it, I'm on the wrong side of 60 now and I feel absolutely no pressure whatever to please others, and that is what we are doing every millisecond of every minute of every hour of everyday!, we seem to have this great need or urgency to be not accountable anymore, its like that with me anyway!, or "go with the flow", there is no need for me to be approved by others/peers anymore.
    And, like KPB I too see every minute as being a meditation, even if I am not aware of it I know its happening!
    What more peace could a person want than to be "sated", spiritually or otherwise, I am in a really nice headspace now and have been for a long long time, and its pretty cool when you can make a statement like that, its a freedom of spirit that does not need my constant attention!

    I just "am" now!...and its very very cool!,lol, very cool!.:urwelcome:



    :soap: :cat:

    Sponsored content

    Re: Meditation - a general interest thread.

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 pm