A forum for seekers everywhere...


    What is happiness ?

    Share
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 am

    First topic message reminder :

    Yes, what is happiness to you, is it something to be obtained, is it something out there, is it found in another ?. So many are after this thing called happiness, but at the same time so many are miserable, happiness seems to be something many find and then lose, it doesn't last long, why is this, can we ever find happiness ?.
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:17 am

    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Yes, good point. Speaking about happiness of the spiritual kind has the tendency to incite desire, which is counterproductive, and requires some tact to talk of the subject in such a way that it doesn't elicit undue craving



    How is desiring God or Oneness counterproductive?
    Usually a desire to find God for a Christian,or maybe heaven!
    The whole point of spiritual happiness is based on desire,
    When I last looked that was the whole point!



    My opinion.
    :soap: :cat:
    If one is interested in the truth they'll be interested in it 'as it is', and not 'as they want it to be'.
    Yes i agree gem, but if one is interested in it 'as it is', then how does one know what it is ?.
    How do you know what rain is?
    because of conditioning.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 56
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  Gemmy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:

    How is desiring God or Oneness counterproductive?
    Usually a desire to find God for a Christian,or maybe heaven!
    The whole point of spiritual happiness is based on desire,
    When I last looked that was the whole point!



    My opinion.
    :soap: :cat:
    If one is interested in the truth they'll be interested in it 'as it is', and not 'as they want it to be'.
    Yes i agree gem, but if one is interested in it 'as it is', then how does one know what it is ?.
    How do you know what rain is?
    because of conditioning.
    Really?  That's how you know the rain?
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 am

    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    If one is interested in the truth they'll be interested in it 'as it is', and not 'as they want it to be'.
    Yes i agree gem, but if one is interested in it 'as it is', then how does one know what it is ?.
    How do you know what rain is?
    because of conditioning.
    Really?  That's how you know the rain?
    Ha, what I mean is, we only know what rain is because of our senses, we see it, we feel it, we hear it and so on.
    avatar
    Gemmy
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 56
    Age : 50
    Location : Sydney
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  Gemmy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:12 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Yes i agree gem, but if one is interested in it 'as it is', then how does one know what it is ?.
    How do you know what rain is?
    because of conditioning.
    Really?  That's how you know the rain?
    Ha, what I mean is, we only know what rain is because of our senses, we see it, we feel it, we hear it and so on.
    Yes.  We know it 'as it is' - in the way we experience it.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  Blueanchor on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 am

    Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

    To me, a guru would walk beside me up the hills and say nothing... not attempt to entice me as that would only bring about desire and feelings of lack. The poem is full of metaphors to share a feeling that exists beneath the words.

    Winter white
    A subtle shade just off truth
    Dappled light beneath the wooded canopy
    Birdsong drifting, singer unseen
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Carried skywards with the wind
    To me, thats what happiness is.
    Yet I hear it screamed loud and brash
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    A trophy of nouveau riche,
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    For fear it may be stolen
    From a reality that never was...
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:45 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

    To me, a guru would walk beside me up the hills and say nothing... not attempt to entice me as that would only bring about desire and feelings of lack. The poem is full of metaphors to share a feeling that exists beneath the words.

    Winter white
    A subtle shade just off truth
    Dappled light beneath the wooded canopy
    Birdsong drifting, singer unseen
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Carried skywards with the wind
    To me, thats what happiness is.
    Yet I hear it screamed loud and brash
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    A trophy of nouveau riche,
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    For fear it may be stolen
    From a reality that never was...
    Ha, private giggle I love it...........could you give your interpretation of the poem, thanks.
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 1189
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:20 am

    psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

    To me, a guru would walk beside me up the hills and say nothing... not attempt to entice me as that would only bring about desire and feelings of lack. The poem is full of metaphors to share a feeling that exists beneath the words.

    Winter white
    A subtle shade just off truth
    Dappled light beneath the wooded canopy
    Birdsong drifting, singer unseen
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Carried skywards with the wind
    To me, thats what happiness is.
    Yet I hear it screamed loud and brash
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    A trophy of nouveau riche,
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    For fear it may be stolen
    From a reality that never was...
    Ha, private giggle I love it...........could you give your interpretation of the poem, thanks.
    In the first part of the poem, the metaphors create imagery that reflects the inner feeling or sensation. Each of the images suggests happiness as being the inner experience rather than the outward... its not the bird singing, its the sensory experience of hearing. Its neither light or dark, the sun or the tree, its the dappled shade. Its not the thinking, its the thought drifting... not the muscular actions that create a smile or loud laughter that everyone can see, its a quiet, gentle, inner sense. The sense of feeling.

    The second part is my interpretation and expression of some of the people I was encountering at the time. They went out of their way to appear always positive and happy, but were quick to see negativity in others and would expeess the need to keep away from those people, showing little love or compassion.
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 am

    Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

    To me, a guru would walk beside me up the hills and say nothing... not attempt to entice me as that would only bring about desire and feelings of lack. The poem is full of metaphors to share a feeling that exists beneath the words.

    Winter white
    A subtle shade just off truth
    Dappled light beneath the wooded canopy
    Birdsong drifting, singer unseen
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Carried skywards with the wind
    To me, thats what happiness is.
    Yet I hear it screamed loud and brash
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    A trophy of nouveau riche,
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    For fear it may be stolen
    From a reality that never was...
    Ha, private giggle I love it...........could you give your interpretation of the poem, thanks.
    In the first part of the poem, the metaphors create imagery that reflects the inner feeling or sensation. Each of the images suggests happiness as being the inner experience rather than the outward... its not the bird singing, its the sensory experience of hearing. Its neither light or dark, the sun or the tree, its the dappled shade. Its not the thinking, its the thought drifting... not the muscular actions that create a smile or loud laughter that everyone can see, its a quiet, gentle, inner sense. The sense of feeling.

    The second part is my interpretation and expression of some of the people I was encountering at the time. They went out of their way to appear always positive and happy, but were quick to see negativity in others and would expeess the need to keep away from those people, showing little love or compassion.
    Yes very nice thank you. :astar:
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 am

    Most of us are greedy for this thing called happiness, we expect everything to go our way, if it doesn't we then get upset, but why is this ?. Life is life, there is always going to be up's and down's, each is the other side of the coin, we cannot have one without the other, so trying to be one with one side of the coin is only going to cause misery. Pain is also a part of life, we may not like it when in pain, but pain is a measurement of the body, it is there for a reason, it is there to protect us, to show us something is wrong with the body, when we cling to either, pain or no pain we again cause suffering.

    When we fight against pain we only cause more pain, when we except pain it is far more bearable, I should know I have had cancer, I have also been shot and my injury has cause me pain for over thirty years, when I learnt to except the pain the pain subsided, it is still there but more or less in the background.

    So my whole point here is happiness is not something we deserve, its something we can except or not, if you want a life of misery then that is what you will get, if you want a life of bless then that is what you will get, its your choice. :balloons:
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:41 am

    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    avatar
    psychoslice
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 1106
    Age : 61
    Location : Australia
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  psychoslice on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 pm

    gigpdo wrote:Do yo ever watch a TV show called Judge Judy!
    I love it when she pulls all these folk up and explains that there is a difference between "affect and effect", well that makes me happy, now why would that make me happy?,.well because the folk still don't understand what she's talking about!.but Burt does because she always looks at him and they have a little smirk,.this makes me happy because the fools on her show sign up to be humiliated and humbled,.don't they know that the viewers are getting their "jollies" from their silly problems,.that makes me happy too!,.but being the nice fellow I am I should feel sorry for them not happy.
    Anyone agree with that?

    Good,
    Now on this forum I always try to make my writing perfect, but,.I'm not perfect,.we all know I am brilliant, fantastic and a legend but I'm not perfect,.but hey I'm "gigpdo",. I am allowed to make the odd mistake in punctuation,.especially with this damned tablet which by the way is getting the "Royal Order of the Boot",.now that has made me happy!

    In the last few posts in this thread a certain person "no name,no pack drill" has made such a mistake!,.now at first this did not make me happy?, and I thought to myself hang on gigpdo old boy, how can I not be happy on a "what is hàppiness " thread,.haha I thought, I thought that maybe i have à scheming mind and didn't notice?

    So I am now feeling not so happy,.I have a dilemma not unlike the Judge Judy TV show,.so I am thinking do I tell this person whom I like that they have made a typing error or not! Mmmm do you see the problem folks?, should I say something that will make someone "unhappy" on a thread about what is "happiness"?, or do I say nothing!

    Well I decided to say nothing anyway so this post is pointless,.but not pointless like the British TV show,.a different pointless,.lol,.:happy:



    :soap: :cat:
    Typing error, that would have to be me for sure, I have to be honest, when I see perfectly written post I think, na, too clinical, non of us are perfect and sometimes our imperfections will show up in our grammar or whatever, but in the end its all a laugh.  :evil:
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

    Sponsored content

    Re: What is happiness ?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 am