psychoslice

Male
    Number of posts : 819
    Job/hobbies : oil painting, reading,music, living life
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

What is happiness ?

Post  psychoslice on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Yes, what is happiness to you, is it something to be obtained, is it something out there, is it found in another ?. So many are after this thing called happiness, but at the same time so many are miserable, happiness seems to be something many find and then lose, it doesn't last long, why is this, can we ever find happiness ?.
    psychoslice

Male

Re: What is happiness ?

Post  psychoslice on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:17 am

Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    Yes, good point. Speaking about happiness of the spiritual kind has the tendency to incite desire, which is counterproductive, and requires some tact to talk of the subject in such a way that it doesn't elicit undue craving

How is desiring God or Oneness counterproductive?
    Usually a desire to find God for a Christian,or maybe heaven!
    The whole point of spiritual happiness is based on desire,
    When I last looked that was the whole point!

My opinion.
    :soap: :cat:
    If one is interested in the truth they'll be interested in it 'as it is', and not 'as they want it to be'.
    Yes i agree gem, but if one is interested in it 'as it is', then how does one know what it is ?.
    How do you know what rain is?
    because of conditioning.
    Gemmy

Male
    Number of posts : 37
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

Post  Gemmy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:16 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:

How is desiring God or Oneness counterproductive?
    Usually a desire to find God for a Christian,or maybe heaven!
    The whole point of spiritual happiness is based on desire,
    When I last looked that was the whole point!

My opinion.
    If one is interested in the truth they'll be interested in it 'as it is', and not 'as they want it to be'.
    Yes i agree gem, but if one is interested in it 'as it is', then how does one know what it is ?.
    because of conditioning.
    Really?  That's how you know the rain?
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:16 am

Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    because of conditioning.
    Ha, what I mean is, we only know what rain is because of our senses, we see it, we feel it, we hear it and so on.
    Gemmy

Male
    Number of posts : 37
    Job/hobbies : Weightlifting
    Registration date : 2017-10-29

Post  Gemmy on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:12 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    Gemmy wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:
    because of conditioning.
    Ha, what I mean is, we only know what rain is because of our senses, we see it, we feel it, we hear it and so on.
    Yes.  We know it 'as it is' - in the way we experience it.
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1113
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 am

Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

To me, a guru would walk beside me up the hills and say nothing... not attempt to entice me as that would only bring about desire and feelings of lack. The poem is full of metaphors to share a feeling that exists beneath the words.

Winter white
    A subtle shade just off truth
    Dappled light beneath the wooded canopy
    Birdsong drifting, singer unseen
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Carried skywards with the wind
    To me, thats what happiness is.
    Yet I hear it screamed loud and brash
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    A trophy of nouveau riche,
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    For fear it may be stolen
    From a reality that never was...
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Blueanchor wrote:Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

To me, a guru would walk beside me up the hills and say nothing... not attempt to entice me as that would only bring about desire and feelings of lack. The poem is full of metaphors to share a feeling that exists beneath the words.

Winter white
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    Ha, private giggle I love it...........could you give your interpretation of the poem, thanks.
    gigpdo

Male
    Number of posts : 405
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

Post  gigpdo on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 pm

psychoslice wrote:Yes, what is happiness to you, is it something to be obtained, is it something out there, is it found in another ?. So many are after this thing called happiness, but at the same time so many are miserable, happiness seems to be something many find and then lose, it doesn't last long, why is this, can we ever find happiness ?.

Ken Dodd eh,that brings back some memories from the 60's,he would talk to us on the way home from school,he was so funny,the bus stop was opposite his big mansion in Gateacre Liverpool,with his "tickling stick" and if I remember correctly,his "doddy men" from Knotty Ash,lol,hahaha.

Thanks for bringing back a good old memory KPB,lol.

Blueanchor

Number of posts : 1113
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:20 am

psychoslice wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:Heres a poem from many years ago when love and light was the trend way to happiness. The words have changed as new philosophies have become popular, but the promise of happiness is still used as a trophy of spiritual advancement. The detriment is, that the appearance of happiness is mastered and the existance of feeling within the body is left in the darkness.

Winter white
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    Ha, private giggle I love it...........could you give your interpretation of the poem, thanks.
    In the first part of the poem, the metaphors create imagery that reflects the inner feeling or sensation. Each of the images suggests happiness as being the inner experience rather than the outward... its not the bird singing, its the sensory experience of hearing. Its neither light or dark, the sun or the tree, its the dappled shade. Its not the thinking, its the thought drifting... not the muscular actions that create a smile or loud laughter that everyone can see, its a quiet, gentle, inner sense. The sense of feeling.

The second part is my interpretation and expression of some of the people I was encountering at the time. They went out of their way to appear always positive and happy, but were quick to see negativity in others and would expeess the need to keep away from those people, showing little love or compassion.
    psychoslice

Male

Post  psychoslice on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 am

Blueanchor wrote:
    psychoslice wrote:

Winter white
    A hillside moment
    A drifting thought
    The imperceptable smile
    Private giggle
    Look at me...HAPPY...
    Symbol of status
    Locked away
    Never to be touched
    In the first part of the poem, the metaphors create imagery that reflects the inner feeling or sensation. Each of the images suggests happiness as being the inner experience rather than the outward... its not the bird singing, its the sensory experience of hearing. Its neither light or dark, the sun or the tree, its the dappled shade. Its not the thinking, its the thought drifting... not the muscular actions that create a smile or loud laughter that everyone can see, its a quiet, gentle, inner sense. The sense of feeling.

The second part is my interpretation and expression of some of the people I was encountering at the time. They went out of their way to appear always positive and happy, but were quick to see negativity in others and would expeess the need to keep away from those people, showing little love or compassion.
    Yes very nice thank you. :astar:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm