A forum for seekers everywhere...

What is the experience of viewing a past life?

cedartree

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2017-08-17

What is the experience of viewing a past life?

Post  cedartree on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 pm

I practice mostly in a style of meditation that is about being present and not searching.

Zazen, places like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America are famous for this style.

In Buddhism in particular Theravada usually deep states of samatha meditation are used to understand past lives.  Can't say I have ever experienced this kind of concentration and calm and or known were to direct the attention to experience this dynamic.

Fill me in how the experience usually goes :)
    gigpdo

Male
    Number of posts : 264
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2017-06-27

Re: What is the experience of viewing a past life?

Post  gigpdo on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:16 am

Samartha meditation is the Buddha's meditation practice,I doubt it is used to investigate past lives,its a version of meditation that allows the practitioner to concentrate on a single point,could be a thought,a nail in the wall,or a breath,never heard it being used to go backward in time,only forward, forever onward,never backward,forward from the present,never backward,only forward.:cat:

cedartree

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2017-08-17

Post  cedartree on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

In Theravada Buddhism most use this technique for past-lives.  But interested in any ways people here view these and what those experiences are like :)

Open to seeing new perspectives is the way to go to have a breadth of wisdom I believe hah!
    Blueanchor

Number of posts : 975
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

Post  Blueanchor on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:07 am

I dont know an awful lot about buddhism and types of techniques. But I have found that meditating without any intent leads to entering a meditative state without any influence of the concious mind. That naturally opens the door to the  deeper areas of the unconcious. This place can show wisdom learnt over many ancestral lives as well as past lives. However, in my experience my memories of past lives have come in relation to some piece of wisdom that I have needed in my present life.
    gigpdo

Male

Post  gigpdo on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 am

I would like to know where these memories of "past lives" come from,I don't meditate much now,almost never!
    Why,because I don't need to,and when I was meditating using samartha meditation ( there are numerous spellings) I certainly never experienced a past life,how the hell do you know its a past life??
    you are meditating, seeing,hearing and feeling,there is no way of knowing if during meditation you are experiencing a previous incarnation on earth or anywhere else?
    How do you know its your past life,not just an experience!

:soap: :cat:
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 am

gigpdo wrote:I would like to know where these memories of "past lives" come from,I don't meditate much now,almost never!
    Why,because I don't need to,and when I was meditating using samartha meditation ( there are numerous spellings) I certainly never experienced a past life,how the hell do you know its a past life??
    you are meditating, seeing,hearing and feeling,there is no way of knowing if during meditation you are experiencing a previous incarnation on earth or anywhere else?
    How do you know its your past life,not just an experience!

Nobody does know. But the stories of life help to understand these experiences.
    gigpdo

Male

Post  gigpdo on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:12 am

There is nothing to learn from past lives,that's why we come back here to learn from our mistakes,that would be like giving a neurosurgeon the answers to his final exam,before he sat for it,pointless.
    I can't see any reason that would benefit a person knowing about a past incarnation?
    why,we are supposed to work out our own problems,thats why we have intellect and intuition,not just instinct like the animals!
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 pm

gigpdo wrote:There is nothing to learn from past lives,that's why we come back here to learn from our mistakes,that would be like giving a neurosurgeon the answers to his final exam,before he sat for it,pointless.
    I can't see any reason that would benefit a person knowing about a past incarnation?
    why,we are supposed to work out our own problems,thats why we have intellect and intuition,not just instinct like the animals!
    Learning tends to work like a spiral... we learn from the perspective of previous experience... as we have different experiences, we may see the same situation from different multiple perspectives.  

I do struggle to see the point of knowing a past life for the sake of knowing more, that could be confusing. But my experience has been a natural occurrence in relation to present experiences. The recollections (or whatever else they could be) have shown personal experience of similar situations from very different perspectives.   Realising that there are multiple perspectives beyond what our current experience enables us to see is a lesson in itself. Then to see a very different view of the same mountain (so to speak) can inform our responses to a situation.

Aube Borealis

Female
    Number of posts : 114
    Registration date : 2017-07-05

Post  Aube Borealis on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm

It is wise to learn from our experience but it is wiser to learn from other's experiences. You don't have to go through it all but understanding and using the wisdom of others is easier to make life better.

It's somehow disappointing when people tend to blame their past lives characters when something bad happened. Blaming is not taking responsibility of the actions taken that weakens and confuse oneself from a past life character and experience.

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 3436
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm

It is wise to learn from our experience but it is wiser to learn from other's experiences. You don't have to go through it all but understanding and using the wisdom of others is easier to make life better.
    There is no single way that's 'wiser' for everyone.  Learning from personal experience seems more important for some than for others. 

I benefited from my own experiences but I also use vicarious learning.  I realise, though, that it doesn't appeal to everyone and we should do what feels right for us individually.
    gigpdo

Male

Post  gigpdo on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:12 am

Aube Borealis wrote:It is wise to learn from our experience but it is wiser to learn from other's experiences. You don't have to go through it all but understanding and using the wisdom of others is easier to make life better.

It's somehow disappointing when people tend to blame their past lives characters when something bad happened. Blaming is not taking responsibility of the actions taken that weakens and confuse oneself from a past life character and experience.

That is my point,what can be gained from a past life,even if you are so experienced that you know 100% that what you are seeing is à past life,well even then you are only seeing it objectively, like an onlooker,not actually "feeling" it,we can only experience our current life,and looking back through your life,this life,the present incarnation can we learn anything!

I always say this and will continue to say it,we have to look forward,always the way we are walking,into the future not the past,forward,forever onward, there is nothing to be gained from the past,unless you know you lived it,and I mean are conscious of it!

:soap: :cat:
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:52 am

Aube Borealis wrote:It is wise to learn from our experience but it is wiser to learn from other's experiences. You don't have to go through it all but understanding and using the wisdom of others is easier to make life better.

Im not sure if you were replying to my post or in general. But there is value in listening to the experiences of others. 

This is a personal take on a well known adage... From where I live, I can see a range of hills and each evening I watch the sun set over them. My friend can also see the hills from where he lives and each morning he watches the sun rise over the hills. If we didnt listen to each other we might argue over whether the sun rises or sets over the hills. But by listening to the others experience, we can learn that the hills appear differently from a different angle. Having said that, there are times when it is wise to reserve judgement until we have experienced something for ourselves... I dislike hot spices and many times friends will tell me I will like their spicy food because its not too hot.... lol, as Im reaching for the yoghurt to cool my mouth down, its easy to see that our personal perspectives of the same experience are different.

I agree, there is a big difference between blame and responsibility. Also, when seeing a past life perspective, the cultural context of the time adds to that.
    gigpdo

Male

Post  gigpdo on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

Maybe my lack of education is stopping me expressing exactly what it is I am trying to convey about past lives,I do agree that we "may" have been born before,( see the inverted comma's ),but,and a big but,what if we haven't?

What if we are on our first and only life,and we are incarnated let's say from another realm/universe where the base building block may not be the carbon molecule?
    Nearly all of us believe in spirit/soul,we nearly all believe in a God/Source whilst some other folk believe in nothing,or something but not God?maybe they are Atheist or Agnostics.
    Others believe in an all pervading darkness/blackness,but in believing these things we are still no closer to knowing for sure what our origins are,not as a species but as living,breathing,full functioning humans.

Are all of us a reincarnated part of the earths human history going back to the beginning of earths creation,or do we just imagine/think we are,and all these thoughts/ideas we have about our heritage, well is it real or wishful thinking on our part,maybe a plan from some far off entity/God/Source/being to make us think like we were designed to do,be beneficial and functional for the good of the whole group, not as an individual consciousness!

:soap:   :cat:
    Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:26 pm

gigpdo wrote:Maybe my lack of education is stopping me expressing exactly what it is I am trying to convey about past lives,I do agree that we "may" have been born before,( see the inverted comma's ),but,and a big but,what if we haven't?

What if we are on our first and only life,and we are incarnated let's say from another realm/universe where the base building block may not be the carbon molecule?
    Nearly all of us believe in spirit/soul,we nearly all believe in a God/Source whilst some other folk believe in nothing,or something but not God?maybe they are Atheist or Agnostics.
    Others believe in an all pervading darkness/blackness,but in believing these things we are still no closer to knowing for sure what our origins are,not as a species but as living,breathing,full functioning humans.

Are all of us a reincarnated part of the earths human history going back to the beginning of earths creation,or do we just imagine/think we are,and all these thoughts/ideas we have about our heritage, well is it real or wishful thinking on our part,maybe a plan from some far off entity/God/Source/being to make us think like we were designed to do,be beneficial and functional for the good of the whole group, not as an individual consciousness!

:soap:   :cat:
    They all seem like reasonable possibilities. 

But if the experience (real or imagined) has given a different perspective on a current situation and in doing so has changed the response or learning that is taken from the present, does knowing where that inner experience came from really matter?
    EarthAngel

Female
    Number of posts : 46
    Registration date : 2017-08-20

Post  EarthAngel on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:20 am

I have always been intrigued in perhaps experiencing a past life 'memory' for myself as I don't believe I ever have. It is an area that causes some divided opinions, but I agree with mac that there isn't a right or wrong way for people to learn whether on their own or through others.

I also don't agree that people should 'blame' a past life to avoid taking any responsibility for things in this life, however some people believe that they have fears or experiences that they simply cannot fathom or find a source from this life time, so they turn to the possibility of there being a past life. Not that this is blaming and avoiding responsibility, but more of an intrigue as to where their feelings come from. 

If there is afterlife, who is to say that there was not a past one? Although I do struggle with it at times!!

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:59 am

quote:  "Are all of us a reincarnated part of the earths human history going back to the beginning of earths creation,......."

response: No, we're not.  We all have the opportunity to experience more-than-one physical life, either here on earth or elsewhere.  How many reincarnate we don't know.  How many lives we - or others - may experience we don't know.  But eternal reincarnation isn't how it works so we're not reincarnated somebodies-or-other from way back when as this earth was created.  That's another conversation, one concerning our odyssey from source and back to it.

quote: ".....or do we just imagine/think we are,and all these thoughts/ideas we have about our heritage, is it real or wishful thinking on our part,maybe a plan from some far off entity/God/Source/being to make us think like we were designed to do,be beneficial and functional for the good of the whole group, not as an individual consciousness!"

response: It is real, it's not wishful thinking and it's not a cunning plan drawn up by a God trying to fool us into thinking we don't matter as individuals.  Whether you're able to accept those notions may depend on your knowledge and understanding, itself influenced by your personal state of spiritual evolvement.  I didn't have any idea there were such principles when I started my search for understanding but now I do - I'm hoping that means I'm progressing a little.

quote: "If there is afterlife, who is to say that there was not a past one?" 

response: I suggest it's pretty plain that there is plenty of evidence that there is life after our corporeal existence ends.  I ask you to consider that we don't just blink into existence at the point we commence physical existence.  Life, spiritually evolved teachers tell us, is eternal.  We've always existed (in one form or another) and will always exist.  The implication of that is before we came to live on earth here we were living somewhere else.  It doesn't automatically follow that we will recall any of those times but not recalling them doesn't necessarily mean we didn't experience them.
    gigpdo

Male

Post  gigpdo on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Mmmmm,you don't give up do you,trolls are persistent annoying little critters, you know nothing Mak,zero,zilch or nothing of your own,your creative processes have dried up Mak,you are an empty shell,an image or shadow of a human being,a cynical person,probably lonely too and damaged,I meet a lot of folk like you,the ones who hate what life has turned them into,folk just like you who pile drive their wives and children into the ground,nothing nice to say to them,just constant criticism because of your self proclaimed greatness!lol.
    I feel sorry for you Mak,you and everyone like you,you and amealiate,both damaged beyond repair or redemption,its sad but your problem not mine,lol.

Blueanchor

Post  Blueanchor on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:51 pm

gigpdo wrote:Mmmmm,you don't give up do you,trolls are persistent annoying little critters, you know nothing Mak,zero,zilch or nothing of your own,your creative processes have dried up Mak,you are an empty shell,an image or shadow of a human being,a cynical person,probably lonely too and damaged,I meet a lot of folk like you,the ones who hate what life has turned them into,folk just like you who pile drive their wives and children into the ground,nothing nice to say to them,just constant criticism because of your self proclaimed greatness!lol.
    I feel sorry for you Mak,you and everyone like you,you and amealiate,both damaged beyond repair or redemption,its sad but your problem not mine,lol.

Im not sure how Mac is so certain either. But you could offer a different perspective of the subject matter rather than just resorting to attempted charachter analysis and defamation.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Mmmmm,you don't give up do you,trolls are persistent annoying little critters, you know nothing Mak,zero,zilch or nothing of your own,your creative processes have dried up Mak,you are an empty shell,an image or shadow of a human being,a cynical person,probably lonely too and damaged,I meet a lot of folk like you,the ones who hate what life has turned them into,folk just like you who pile drive their wives and children into the ground,nothing nice to say to them,just constant criticism because of your self proclaimed greatness!lol.

Not a single word to address the points in my posting.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:48 pm

gigpdo wrote:Mmmmm,you don't give up do you,trolls are persistent annoying little critters, you know nothing Mak,zero,zilch or nothing of your own,your creative processes have dried up Mak,you are an empty shell,an image or shadow of a human being,a cynical person,probably lonely too and damaged,I meet a lot of folk like you,the ones who hate what life has turned them into,folk just like you who pile drive their wives and children into the ground,nothing nice to say to them,just constant criticism because of your self proclaimed greatness!lol.

At least I have you for company, Amy, (or is that 'amealiate' - I like that coined word) in my sorry state of existence.  :evil1:

Someone to help me cope with my ignorance, misery, cynicism, loneliness and hate of life!   My poor wife and kinds - how I've pile-driven them into the ground.  They must despise me.:mecry: boo-hoo

'Course 'The Fringe' is just finished so maybe our gigpot has been performing there and continued the performance here.

roflmao :happy:

mac

Male

Post  mac on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Blueanchor wrote:
    gigpdo wrote:Mmmmm,you don't give up do you,trolls are persistent annoying little critters, you know nothing Mak,zero,zilch or nothing of your own,your creative processes have dried up Mak,you are an empty ..................med greatness!lol.

Im not sure how Mac is so certain either. But you could offer a different perspective of the subject matter rather than just resorting to attempted charachter analysis and defamation.
    I could tell you why I am confident about what I say but I don't want anyone persuaded by the source of the information rather than the details themselves.

As for gigpot, well any dissent, any response to what she writes, is usually met with hostility unless it's from a certain other member. 

I try not to take too much notice of all the bluster and waffle.
      :laff:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 am