A forum for seekers everywhere...


    Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Share
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:17 pm

    In a recent discussion I am having on this forum, I have grown to be both puzzled and sceptical about mediums and what is being contacted exactly.  I have started this thread with an open mind to find some answers, i.e. do not mind being proved wrong if it makes sense.

    My understanding is that our ego comprises of our thoughts, emotions, memories etc - in short, our worldly ID and how we interact with the world.  This is what dies and our spirit lives on/our essence.

    So I do not understand when mediums contact the dead and pass on messages as if the spirit can think and feel...since thoughts, emotions and memories spring from our ego/worldly ID and our mind surely dies once the brain does.

    I read this today....


    "Mental mediumship" is communication of spirits with a medium by telepathy. The medium mentally "hears" (clairaudience), "sees" (clairvoyance), and/or feels (clairsentience) messages from spirits.

    The key word here is telepathy.  What I am wondering is whether the medium is picking up (via telepathy) the thoughts, feelings and memories from the person wishing to make contact with the dead and, hence, (for instance) would detect a nickname.  If so, it is no great stretch to pass on the badly needed reassurance of love etc. 

    I am not saying that mediums are intentionally fake.  Of course there are frauds, e.g. even Doris Stokes was caught out (by the investigator Ian Wilson) i.e. revealed to have done research and planted specific people in her audience!!!  For those who feel they genuinely have the gift, please explain what your experience is i.e. what is being contacted since thinking and feeling is of mind - not spirit.


    I would greatly appreciate honest feedback.  I wish to know the truth of what is going on.
    Thank you.
    avatar
    millergrls
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Location : Michigan
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  millergrls on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:40 pm

    For me, a soul is eternal in itself it never dies.  We come to earth to experience humanity.  "We are not human beings living a spiritual experience but spiritual beings living a human experience.  We come to live lessons, learn from those lessons  and to grow to a higher level of spiritual perspective.  When we cross over we go to a room for a life review to experience what we have learned through the good the bad and the ugly so that our soul in divine form can learn.  Then when we are ready for a new major lesson we reincarnate and come back.  We never really die only our bodies that carry our souls do.  So with that in mind.  Mediums have the gift to reach into their soul and to connect with other souls.  Not the deceased so much buy transcended souls. There are many levels where a soul can lie.  There are old souls and then there are the newer souls.  I wrote a post a long time ago on the 12 dimensions.  But humans are on the 3rd dimensions and most spirit (souls) reside in the fourth.  (angels in the 7th)ect.  With that being said we are all mediums in a sense, we all receive messages from spirit because the messages come from souls not the human body.  For me this is what I believe and love being open to positive and loving discussion. :)
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:20 pm

    millergrls wrote:For me, a soul is eternal in itself it never dies.  We come to earth to experience humanity.  "We are not human beings living a spiritual experience but spiritual beings living a human experience.  We come to live lessons, learn from those lessons  and to grow to a higher level of spiritual perspective.  When we cross over we go to a room for a life review to experience what we have learned through the good the bad and the ugly so that our soul in divine form can learn.  Then when we are ready for a new major lesson we reincarnate and come back.  We never really die only our bodies that carry our souls do.  So with that in mind.  Mediums have the gift to reach into their soul and to connect with other souls.  Not the deceased so much buy transcended souls. There are many levels where a soul can lie.  There are old souls and then there are the newer souls.  I wrote a post a long time ago on the 12 dimensions.  But humans are on the 3rd dimensions and most spirit (souls) reside in the fourth.  (angels in the 7th)ect.  With that being said we are all mediums in a sense, we all receive messages from spirit because the messages come from souls not the human body.  For me this is what I believe and love being open to positive and loving discussion. :)
    Thanks for sharing but you haven't grasped what I am asking in my OP.

    I am not questioning whether the soul lives on, but WHAT is it that a medium contacts since they relay messages and thoughts/emotions are part of our ego/mind, i.e. not our essence/soul.  So I am wondering whether what they contact is within the mind of the person seeking contact since telepathy is used.
    avatar
    millergrls
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Location : Michigan
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  millergrls on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 pm

    I believe a medium contacts with the soul.  Not the ego.  They may make certain contact for a person they are reading for, for certain purposes of healing.  But when they are connecting they are connected with the soul not the ego of spirit.  The ego is consist of humanity and fear.  A soul know that there is only love.  A part of human purpose is to conquer the ego which is contrived of fear to keep the human safe.  When too much fear consumes the human the soul is over-ridden.  The medium connects with soul and soul purpose connecting us with the heart of the matter as well as great healing.
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:00 pm

    millergrls wrote:I believe a medium contacts with the soul.  Not the ego.  They may make certain contact for a person they are reading for, for certain purposes of healing.  But when they are connecting they are connected with the soul not the ego of spirit.  The ego is consist of humanity and fear.  A soul know that there is only love.  A part of human purpose is to conquer the ego which is contrived of fear to keep the human safe.  When too much fear consumes the human the soul is over-ridden.  The medium connects with soul and soul purpose connecting us with the heart of the matter as well as great healing.
    Yes, exactly so do you understand what I am asking in my OP, i.e. that the soul is devoid of ego and that it is the EGO that has thoughts and feelings.  This is what I am exploring here, i.e. trying to understand how mediums can relay messages from a soul/spirit which is just energy. 

    It does feel that, in using telepathy, that mediums could well be tuning into the mind of the sitter, i.e. responding to their cues.
    avatar
    millergrls
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Location : Michigan
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  millergrls on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:36 pm

    mmm a medium connects with the energy of the soul.  That is how it can connect someone with their guides, or a past life or describe completely in detail how a soul has crossed over.  This puts the ego (fear) aside and speaks with complete connection.

    A psychic would rely more on reading someone's energy as well as spirit but a medium.  ahhh.. this is the love and light of complete soul connection.
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:51 pm

    millergrls wrote:mmm a medium connects with the energy of the soul.  That is how it can connect someone with their guides, or a past life or describe completely in detail how a soul has crossed over.  This puts the ego (fear) aside and speaks with complete connection.

    A psychic would rely more on reading someone's energy as well as spirit but a medium.  ahhh.. this is the love and light of complete soul connection.
    Never mind.  You seem unable to understand what I am asking and I have grown weary of trying to explain.
    avatar
    millergrls
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1385
    Location : Michigan
    Job/hobbies : Dispatcher
    Registration date : 2012-11-02

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  millergrls on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 am

    Thank you very much for your open minded and enlightened point of view.  I appreciate the inspiration of growth through conversation with you.   I was looking to have a nice conversation with a different take on both ends on a post that no others seemed to want to comment.    :blush:  Without a doubt was great talking with you while not only being enlightened but inspired by an spiritually evolved person .  Have a great day. :astar:
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 867
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:06 am

    Millergirls, spiritualist mediums most commonly use the name medium, and they tend to pick up memories of the deceased and express emotion and thoughts of the deceased.

    Ame is proposing that, as these aspects are of the ego, that they are not spirit.

    People do have their own definition of spirit and so sometimes in conversation, we have to let go of our own definition a little in order to listen and join in with what's being discussed.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 867
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:30 am

    I'll re-share the story of the medium here if that's ok. She is a medium that trained/developed with a spiritual church. But the significant part here is that she spoke of going through a patch of not being able to contact the deceased - she was shown a vision of her going up in an elevator, and the visions showed her that she was whooshing straight past spirit and that spirit was here, right next to her, not up high some place. I would more likely have followed the elevator to see where that was taking me, but she wanted to contact peoples loved ones, so came back to where they were.

    As you know, I don't believe in hierarchical ladders. I do believe that the thoughts and emotions that spiritualist mediums pick up on are very close to the thoughts and emotions of living people. There are other, perhaps higher, vibrational energies to pick up on. But it wasn't that this lady was unable to go higher, it was that her purpose was to communicate with thought and emotional energies.

    I look at all those everyday things that people pick up, having a person come to mind just before they phone or feeling the tension of an argument in the air etc. This suggests that thought and feelings exist beyond the body and brain, they're not contained, therefore, they won't necessarily die along with the body. They are energy and if energy is out there, then it is there to be picked up on.

    The ego is the sense of self, and whilst we are alive, we tend to consider our thoughts and feelings to be part of us. I don't believe we are such solid vessels at all. All life, including death, transforms energy, I believe that every thought, every feeling, every physical action transforms energy - like breathing in air and breathing out that same air transformed by our living processes. It is only contained momentarily.

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  skye on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 am

    ameliorate wrote:In a recent discussion I am having on this forum, I have grown to be both puzzled and sceptical about mediums and what is being contacted exactly.  I have started this thread with an open mind to find some answers, i.e. do not mind being proved wrong if it makes sense.

    My understanding is that our ego comprises of our thoughts, emotions, memories etc - in short, our worldly ID and how we interact with the world.  This is what dies and our spirit lives on/our essence.

    So I do not understand when mediums contact the dead and pass on messages as if the spirit can think and feel...since thoughts, emotions and memories spring from our ego/worldly ID and our mind surely dies once the brain does.

    I read this today....


    "Mental mediumship" is communication of spirits with a medium by telepathy. The medium mentally "hears" (clairaudience), "sees" (clairvoyance), and/or feels (clairsentience) messages from spirits.

    The key word here is telepathy.  What I am wondering is whether the medium is picking up (via telepathy) the thoughts, feelings and memories from the person wishing to make contact with the dead and, hence, (for instance) would detect a nickname.  If so, it is no great stretch to pass on the badly needed reassurance of love etc. 

    I am not saying that mediums are intentionally fake.  Of course there are frauds, e.g. even Doris Stokes was caught out (by the investigator Ian Wilson) i.e. revealed to have done research and planted specific people in her audience!!!  For those who feel they genuinely have the gift, please explain what your experience is i.e. what is being contacted since thinking and feeling is of mind - not spirit.


    I would greatly appreciate honest feedback.  I wish to know the truth of what is going on.
    Thank you.


    When the human body is cast aside at the time of so called death it's the physical body that dies, it isn't the personality of the individual spirit. The human personality survives physical death and continues to express itself as a Spirit being in the world of spirit and, this energy blends itself with mediums to communicate on the earth plane. Although the spirit world actually coexists within our own world, when a medium communicates with a spirit it is carried out via a 2 way mind to mind link. This normally involves working with the psychic - self or intuitive - faculties, known as clairvoyance, clairaudience or clairsentience, hence mental mediumship is considered to be telepathy. 

    For communication purposes and to save argument it's my experience, therefore my opinion that evidential mediums communicate directly with discarnate spirit beings to convey their message, whereas psychics connect to the energy of the living via their aura to retrieve information that is usually known to a recipient. 

    A medium or a psychic can mentally tune into the energy of a person and pick up psychically any feelings, thoughts and memories which are contained in the aura of a recipient.  For example, both may state a nickname of a discarnate being, however this should not suggest to a recipient that they are in direct communication with the person they wish to communicate with. What is required from a medium is to ask spirit for more evidence of their continued survival. Further information includes their physical and mental traits as well as their own characteristics and/or idiosyncrasies. This should enable a recipient to positively identify the person whom the medium claims to be in communication with. If no such evidence is forthcoming, the next course of action is to regard it as a being a reading of a psychic nature rather than mediumship. 

    I feel it has to be said that all spirit communications are referred to as experiments, there is no guarantee that a medium Spiritualist or otherwise will make contact with a person living in the spirit world. 

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3352
    Age : 70
    Location : Heart Of England
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  mac on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 am

    ameliorate wrote:In a recent discussion I am having on this forum, I have grown to be both puzzled and sceptical about mediums and what is being contacted exactly.  I have started this thread with an open mind to find some answers, i.e. do not mind being proved wrong if it makes sense.

    My understanding is that our ego comprises of our thoughts, emotions, memories etc - in short, our worldly ID and how we interact with the world.  This is what dies and our spirit lives on/our essence.

    So I do not understand when mediums contact the dead and pass on messages as if the spirit can think and feel...since thoughts, emotions and memories spring from our ego/worldly ID and our mind surely dies once the brain does.

    I read this today....


    "Mental mediumship" is communication of spirits with a medium by telepathy. The medium mentally "hears" (clairaudience), "sees" (clairvoyance), and/or feels (clairsentience) messages from spirits.

    The key word here is telepathy.  What I am wondering is whether the medium is picking up (via telepathy) the thoughts, feelings and memories from the person wishing to make contact with the dead and, hence, (for instance) would detect a nickname.  If so, it is no great stretch to pass on the badly needed reassurance of love etc. 

    I am not saying that mediums are intentionally fake.  Of course there are frauds, e.g. even Doris Stokes was caught out (by the investigator Ian Wilson) i.e. revealed to have done research and planted specific people in her audience!!!  For those who feel they genuinely have the gift, please explain what your experience is i.e. what is being contacted since thinking and feeling is of mind - not spirit.


    I would greatly appreciate honest feedback.  I wish to know the truth of what is going on.
    Thank you.
    Earlier I held back from replying as I could see it would need care and time to properly address the points you've asked about.  I'm delighted to read my friend skye's full, clear and concise answer. :asmile:  

    As she points out it's important for the go-between - the 'medium' - to seek from the discarnate communicator information that would reassure the seeker/sitter about who was communicating.  An experienced medium will work to ensure the information provided has not been obtained psychically from her sitter.  The kind of information will vary and acquiring 'the right stuff' is no small ask.  Many factors can influence success, those factors discussed in previous threads. 

    As I wrote elsewhere recently, the most persuasive evidence may be information that can't immediately be authenticated but is later researched and found, from third-party sources, to have been accurate.  Such information should be far less likely to have been obtained - deliberately or inadvertently - from the sitter/seeker. 

    On a personal level it was years before I was able to identify one snippet of identification.  I'd all but forgotten about it.  My communicator was a distant family member I'd never known, or known about, in this world.  Seeing him in a photograph, and remembering his words,
    was a 'eureka' moment for me.  The photo had been sent from another distant family member living in Australia and researching family history. 

    By then it wasn't important for me as I'd long been persuaded of continuing life beyond corporeal death but to me it's an important example of this kind of evidence.
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:32 am

    Thank you Blueanchor, skye and mac for your thought provoking posts.  So it would seem that my assumption is wrong that our ego/mind (i.e. thoughts, feelings, identity/personality) does not survive death.  That the ego is contactable after death then makes more sense for what the medium relays to the sitter.  I have heard of some extraordinary relaying of info, gleaned by mediums, that are truly impressive, i.e. my mind has always been open to it being a genuine phenomenon.  It is a shame that there are charlatans which taint the reputation of a medium.

    If you could answer one more question/puzzle for me ....  I have been told that, after death, the spirit hovers locally until around 2 weeks when it then goes elsewhere (perhaps to another plane). If this is so, presumably it is still contactable but, maybe, harder?  Again, I am open to being corrected on this.

    Since I was a buddhist, this shaped my view of the ego - notably that self is transient.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 867
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:09 am

    I don't believe that spiritualist mediums communicate with spirit. It is a phenomena (ie, I don't believe that mediums are charlatans), but there are other, equally viable explanations for it,  so it comes down to personal choice in what to believe... but also in what you perceive spirit, energy, and ego, to be.

    Therefore, I don't believe you can be corrected on your views Ame, as they are as valid and as likely as anyone elses views.

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3352
    Age : 70
    Location : Heart Of England
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  mac on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:33 pm

    ameliorate wrote:Thank you Blueanchor, skye and mac for your thought provoking posts.  So it would seem that my assumption is wrong that our ego/mind (i.e. thoughts, feelings, identity/personality) does not survive death.  That the ego is contactable after death then makes more sense for what the medium relays to the sitter.  I have heard of some extraordinary relaying of info, gleaned by mediums, that are truly impressive, i.e. my mind has always been open to it being a genuine phenomenon.  It is a shame that there are charlatans which taint the reputation of a medium.

    If you could answer one more question/puzzle for me ....  I have been told that, after death, the spirit hovers locally until around 2 weeks when it then goes elsewhere (perhaps to another plane). If this is so, presumably it is still contactable but, maybe, harder?  Again, I am open to being corrected on this.

    Since I was a buddhist, this shaped my view of the ego - notably that self is transient.
    In the teachings that shaped my thinking, those that continue to appeal to my own reasoning, there is no hard-and-fast period of time wherein a liberated spirit 'hangs' around this earth dimension.  It may be that some will stay closer than others to this dimension, even for a prolonged period.  The possible reasons for this might lead to a further discussion.  It's yet another discussion why one spirit is reached quite readily whereas another - even one who might be expected to be able to be reached - isn't heard from again. 
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:03 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:I look at all those everyday things that people pick up, having a person come to mind just before they phone or feeling the tension of an argument in the air etc. This suggests that thought and feelings exist beyond the body and brain, they're not contained, therefore, they won't necessarily die along with the body. They are energy and if energy is out there, then it is there to be picked up on.

    The ego is the sense of self, and whilst we are alive, we tend to consider our thoughts and feelings to be part of us. I don't believe we are such solid vessels at all. All life, including death, transforms energy, I believe that every thought, every feeling, every physical action transforms energy - like breathing in air and breathing out that same air transformed by our living processes. It is only contained momentarily.
    In your first paragraph, clearly thoughts exist beyond the brain, i.e. can be picked up as in telepathy.  That is understandable from someone who is alive and transmitting i.e. I am not so sure it automatically follows, as specific thoughts, after death. When the brain ceases it calls into question how any further thoughts are still possible.

    I do understand that places can have vibes, i.e. imbued with PAST thoughts and feelings of those once living there/alive.

    It is also self evident that energy cannot die but, as you say, is transformed. (You may know that it is the first law of thermodynamics that energy cannot either be destroyed or created - only transformed).  Energy is a hazy thing, i.e. like a mood and not specific as in actual words and this is what I have difficulty in coming to terms with in mediums.

    Thank you for saying (in a later post) that my ideas are equally valid.  It is a complex topic!

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3352
    Age : 70
    Location : Heart Of England
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  mac on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:15 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:I don't believe that spiritualist mediums communicate with spirit. It is a phenomena (ie, I don't believe that mediums are charlatans), but there are other, equally viable explanations for it,  so it comes down to personal choice in what to believe... but also in what you perceive spirit, energy, and ego, to be.

    Therefore, I don't believe you can be corrected on your views Ame, as they are as valid and as likely as anyone elses views.
    Each of us is free to believe what we will but evidence is what governs my approach rather than belief..... 

    It is, of course, totally possible that some practitioners are mistaken but that doesn't mean ALL practitioners are mistaken. (or are charlatans/frauds) 

    I agree that what we understand also governs how we feel about things so isn't it important to study in an attempt to better understand?  Views are surely better based on evidence than belief, wouldn't you agree?
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 867
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:04 pm

    ameliorate wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:I look at all those everyday things that people pick up, having a person come to mind just before they phone or feeling the tension of an argument in the air etc. This suggests that thought and feelings exist beyond the body and brain, they're not contained, therefore, they won't necessarily die along with the body. They are energy and if energy is out there, then it is there to be picked up on.

    The ego is the sense of self, and whilst we are alive, we tend to consider our thoughts and feelings to be part of us. I don't believe we are such solid vessels at all. All life, including death, transforms energy, I believe that every thought, every feeling, every physical action transforms energy - like breathing in air and breathing out that same air transformed by our living processes. It is only contained momentarily.
    In your first paragraph, clearly thoughts exist beyond the brain, i.e. can be picked up as in telepathy.  That is understandable from someone who is alive and transmitting i.e. I am not so sure it automatically follows, as specific thoughts, after death. When the brain ceases it calls into question how any further thoughts are still possible.

    I do understand that places can have vibes, i.e. imbued with PAST thoughts and feelings of those once living there/alive.

    It is also self evident that energy cannot die but, as you say, is transformed. (You may know that it is the first law of thermodynamics that energy cannot either be destroyed or created - only transformed).  Energy is a hazy thing, i.e. like a mood and not specific as in actual words and this is what I have difficulty in coming to terms with in mediums.

    Thank you for saying (in a later post) that my ideas are equally valid.  It is a complex topic!
    I don't believe any further thoughts are possible, but the moment of death would release many many deep thoughts, emotional thoughts and, as is often said, memories. It's these thoughts that would stay, and perhaps have most resonance with loved ones. It is only a theory, and one that would be unpopular to many I suspect.

    But it is a complex topic and one that I feel should be explored and questioned outside of the box.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 867
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm

    mac wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:I don't believe that spiritualist mediums communicate with spirit. It is a phenomena (ie, I don't believe that mediums are charlatans), but there are other, equally viable explanations for it,  so it comes down to personal choice in what to believe... but also in what you perceive spirit, energy, and ego, to be.

    Therefore, I don't believe you can be corrected on your views Ame, as they are as valid and as likely as anyone elses views.
    Each of us is free to believe what we will but evidence is what governs my approach rather than belief..... 

    It is, of course, totally possible that some practitioners are mistaken but that doesn't mean ALL practitioners are mistaken. (or are charlatans/frauds) 

    I agree that what we understand also governs how we feel about things so isn't it important to study in an attempt to better understand?  Views are surely better based on evidence than belief, wouldn't you agree?
    Mac, there is no question that you are free to believe in whatever you want. But I don't believe that what you cite as being 'evidence' is really enough to prove that personalities go off and live in a spirit world. So whilst I respect your belief, I do view it as a belief, no more or less than any other.

    I think it more productive to understand views and beliefs for what they are and not make them more than that... because that recognition of the unknown is what creates exploration. There are many people claiming to have more than belief, but they all say something different.

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  skye on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:31 pm

    mac wrote:
    ameliorate wrote:In a recent discussion I am having on this forum, I have grown to be both puzzled and sceptical about mediums and what is being contacted exactly.  I have started this thread with an open mind to find some answers, i.e. do not mind being proved wrong if it makes sense.

    My understanding is that our ego comprises of our thoughts, emotions, memories etc - in short, our worldly ID and how we interact with the world.  This is what dies and our spirit lives on/our essence.

    So I do not understand when mediums contact the dead and pass on messages as if the spirit can think and feel...since thoughts, emotions and memories spring from our ego/worldly ID and our mind surely dies once the brain does.

    I read this today....


    "Mental mediumship" is communication of spirits with a medium by telepathy. The medium mentally "hears" (clairaudience), "sees" (clairvoyance), and/or feels (clairsentience) messages from spirits.

    The key word here is telepathy.  What I am wondering is whether the medium is picking up (via telepathy) the thoughts, feelings and memories from the person wishing to make contact with the dead and, hence, (for instance) would detect a nickname.  If so, it is no great stretch to pass on the badly needed reassurance of love etc. 

    I am not saying that mediums are intentionally fake.  Of course there are frauds, e.g. even Doris Stokes was caught out (by the investigator Ian Wilson) i.e. revealed to have done research and planted specific people in her audience!!!  For those who feel they genuinely have the gift, please explain what your experience is i.e. what is being contacted since thinking and feeling is of mind - not spirit.


    I would greatly appreciate honest feedback.  I wish to know the truth of what is going on.
    Thank you.
    Earlier I held back from replying as I could see it would need care and time to properly address the points you've asked about.  I'm delighted to read my friend skye's full, clear and concise answer. :asmile:  

    As she points out it's important for the go-between - the 'medium' - to seek from the discarnate communicator information that would reassure the seeker/sitter about who was communicating.  An experienced medium will work to ensure the information provided has not been obtained psychically from her sitter.  The kind of information will vary and acquiring 'the right stuff' is no small ask.  Many factors can influence success, those factors discussed in previous threads. 

    As I wrote elsewhere recently, the most persuasive evidence may be information that can't immediately be authenticated but is later researched and found, from third-party sources, to have been accurate.  Such information should be far less likely to have been obtained - deliberately or inadvertently - from the sitter/seeker. 

    On a personal level it was years before I was able to identify one snippet of identification.  I'd all but forgotten about it.  My communicator was a distant family member I'd never known, or known about, in this world.  Seeing him in a photograph, and remembering his words,
    was a 'eureka' moment for me.  The photo had been sent from another distant family member living in Australia and researching family history. 

    By then it wasn't important for me as I'd long been persuaded of continuing life beyond corporeal death but to me it's an important example of this kind of evidence.


    I'm not a fan of mediums handing out carrier bags with generalised information, however at times it may require a recipient to do their own research to check out specific information.  The evidence that I consider to have the most impact on a recipient which helps prove that life after death communication is possible is after a sitting, where other family members can acknowledge the given information. or understand the description and character of a spirit communicator. 

    skye
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 1246
    Registration date : 2009-09-06

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  skye on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:38 pm

    ameliorate wrote:Thank you Blueanchor, skye and mac for your thought provoking posts.  So it would seem that my assumption is wrong that our ego/mind (i.e. thoughts, feelings, identity/personality) does not survive death.  That the ego is contactable after death then makes more sense for what the medium relays to the sitter.  I have heard of some extraordinary relaying of info, gleaned by mediums, that are truly impressive, i.e. my mind has always been open to it being a genuine phenomenon.  It is a shame that there are charlatans which taint the reputation of a medium.

    If you could answer one more question/puzzle for me ....  I have been told that, after death, the spirit hovers locally until around 2 weeks when it then goes elsewhere (perhaps to another plane). If this is so, presumably it is still contactable but, maybe, harder?  Again, I am open to being corrected on this.

    Since I was a buddhist, this shaped my view of the ego - notably that self is transient.
    Unfortunately there are charlatans to be found in all trades. Hopefully the amendment of the Fraudulent Mediums Act will go towards preventing many people from their dishonest activities. Sadly, most people believe it is just Spiritualist mediums who are responsible for dodgy dealings. A Spiritualist medium is someone who practices and adheres to the religion of Spiritualism, one who has studied and trained and developed via the Spiritualist movement i. e. the SNU. Mediums come in all shapes and sizes so to speak, There are a number of Independent Spiritualist Churches who do not follow the practices of the SNU, including Christian Spiritualist Churches. Apologies for digressing.

    It is often said that some spirits hang around the earth plane for a while after their physical death. Whether there is any truth in this hearsay is debatable, although I doubt any one person can or will reach a final conclusion. Each person has their own perspective and nobodies's frame of reference is greater or lesser than another person's viewpoint.


    My own sense of reason would be to question why they would want to remain close to the earth plane. Their loved ones may not be able to see or hear them, for they now vibrate on a finer frequency to the denser vibration of human beings.  Could it not be possible that the vibrational frequency of the earth dimension becomes as invisible to them as the spirit dimension is to us?  If Spirits are attracted to our light, it could be perhaps that they can not see our physical bodies too. Their new environment operates by thought so it is likely they can hear our thoughts and no doubt sense our emotional feelings.  Spirit teaching's inform us that when we first enter the spiritual realms we find ourselves on the Astral plane, as this plane closely resembles the earth plane. It is from here we are met by loved ones and friends or we may even need to rest for a short time. The awareness of a new reality gradually grows and we become aware that there is no sickness, disease or deformities which was present in our physical lives. We attain our intellect and our memories as well as our attitudes and beliefs. We are exactly the same person mentally and emotionally as we were prior to the moment of death. Nothing changes only our environment.


    The world of Spirit is around us, therefore a communicating spirit will link into a medium's energy while a medium aims to link into a discarnate being to blending both energies so a 2 way mind to mind communication can take place. Communication between the two worlds may be harder for some spirits and they may need time to learn how to communicate successfully.
    avatar
    Blueanchor
    Member

    Number of posts : 867
    Registration date : 2015-08-26

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Blueanchor on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:29 pm

    Thank you Skye for acknowledging that no frame of reference is greater or lesser than another's.

    With reference to what you say regarding spirit perhaps being unaware of the human world, the film 'The Others' portrays this idea extremely well.

    It is a possibility that some people retain their personalities and exist in a spirit/human world. However, there are quite a lot of people like myself (perhaps even millergrls too) that experience communication with spirit that isn't discarnate and doesn't show human traits. Also, the way I experience communication is through different vibrations on varying levels. This is something that I felt the medium, whose vision I spoke of in an earlier post, alluded to. So I'm interested in how you would view this or explain it.

    Could it be that not all spirit exists as dicarnate personality? Or... and this is the theory that I'm exploring, that different aspects of what we view as our self, vibrate at different frequencies, and therefore are communicated with on different vibrational planes of existence?

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3352
    Age : 70
    Location : Heart Of England
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  mac on Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:59 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:
    mac wrote:
    Blueanchor wrote:I don't believe that spiritualist mediums communicate with spirit. It is a phenomena (ie, I don't believe that mediums are charlatans), but there are other, equally viable explanations for it,  so it comes down to personal choice in what to believe... but also in what you perceive spirit, energy, and ego, to be.

    Therefore, I don't believe you can be corrected on your views Ame, as they are as valid and as likely as anyone elses views.
    Each of us is free to believe what we will but evidence is what governs my approach rather than belief..... 

    It is, of course, totally possible that some practitioners are mistaken but that doesn't mean ALL practitioners are mistaken. (or are charlatans/frauds) 

    I agree that what we understand also governs how we feel about things so isn't it important to study in an attempt to better understand?  Views are surely better based on evidence than belief, wouldn't you agree?
    Mac, there is no question that you are free to believe in whatever you want. But I don't believe that what you cite as being 'evidence' is really enough to prove that personalities go off and live in a spirit world. So whilst I respect your belief, I do view it as a belief, no more or less than any other.

    I think it more productive to understand views and beliefs for what they are and not make them more than that... because that recognition of the unknown is what creates exploration. There are many people claiming to have more than belief, but they all say something different.
    I actually said each of us is free to believe what we will and that must, by definition, automatically include me.  However in spiritual matters I prefer not to hold beliefs. (I do hold beliefs on other matters where there is not the evidence to persuade me personally one way or another.)

    I don't remember citing actual information I saw as evidence but perhaps you'll correct me if I've forgotten?

     I'm perfectly comfortable in your believing what I see as evidence to be no more than my belief but I differ and I have better knowledge than you about my personal understanding and what it's based on.   :wink:   :hugz:

    As for beliefs well I'm comfortable in leaving those who hold them to explore whatever way is right for them.  I hope that process leads to their personal persuasion one way or another about communication with spirits. (That's what we had been discussing.)  If they conclude, however, that there is no such thing then I hope they'll allow those of us who see things differently to continue so doing. 
    :asmile:

    mac
    Member

    Male
    Number of posts : 3352
    Age : 70
    Location : Heart Of England
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  mac on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:17 pm

    Blueanchor wrote:However, there are quite a lot of people like myself (perhaps even millergrls too) that experience communication with spirit that isn't discarnate and doesn't show human traits. Also, the way I experience communication is through different vibrations on varying levels. This is something that I felt the medium, whose vision I spoke of in an earlier post, alluded to. So I'm interested in how you would view this or explain it.

    Could it be that not all spirit exists as dicarnate personality? Or... and this is the theory that I'm exploring, that different aspects of what we view as our self, vibrate at different frequencies, and therefore are communicated with on different vibrational planes of existence?
    Some years ago I ran forum discussion threads seeking to understand what members meant when using certain words and terms. There were significant differences between our individual understanding.

    Add to that the differing ways that individuals experience communication and it's plain to me that the words I learned 30 years ago, the ones I have used routinely since, do not appear to work in the same way for many others. 

    I am a Spiritualist for whom communication has a simple meaning but over recent years I've realised, and accepted, that for others communication can mean something very different. 

    None of us are necessarily wrong - we simply see things in different ways.
    avatar
    ameliorate
    Member

    Female
    Number of posts : 3088
    Age : 67
    Location : London, UK
    Job/hobbies : Full-time person! Cooking, creating things
    Registration date : 2012-02-15

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  ameliorate on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

    mac wrote:Some years ago I ran forum discussion threads seeking to understand what members meant when using certain words and terms. There were significant differences between our individual understanding.

    Add to that the differing ways that individuals experience communication and it's plain to me that the words I learned 30 years ago, the ones I have used routinely since, do not appear to work in the same way for many others. 

    I am a Spiritualist for whom communication has a simple meaning but over recent years I've realised, and accepted, that for others communication can mean something very different. 

    None of us are necessarily wrong - we simply see things in different ways.
    This is one of the reasons why a forum is so useful, i.e. there is the possibility of establishing what certain words mean for us individually and thereby enabling the possibility of reaching a better understanding of how a word is used.  Clarifying how a word is used is often quite crucial when dealing with matters that are not visible!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mediums, telepathy and what is being contacted....an enquiry

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 am