The Tarot - A Breakdown

Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24343
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

The Tarot - A Breakdown

Post  Violet on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm

There are 78 cards in a full deck of tarot cards, 22 of those are numbered 0 -21 these are referred to as the Major Arcana or 'trump cards.'
    If you are just starting out with the tarot it can be easier just to do readings with these cards rather than the whole deck which can be very intimidating to a beginner.
    The remaining 56 cards are referred to as the Minor Arcana or the 'pip cards' and as with a deck of normal playing cards there are four suits
    swords --- spades generally refers to intellect and action when troubles arise - element -air
    wands --- clubs generally refers to normal everyday stuff and communication - element -fire
    cups --- hearts generally refers to emotions and love-element - water
    coins or pentacles --- diamonds generally refers to the material and finances -element - earth

The main difference between playing cards and the minor arcana is an extra court card in each suit. You can read just the minor cards too, much as you would with a deck of normal playing cards, i'll post some pointers on this at a later date.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Violet
    Admin

Female

Re: The Tarot - A Breakdown

Post  Violet on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Choosing Your Cards

It's surprising how many people still view tarot cards with suspicion and superstition. The first thing to remember is that they are only pieces of card, there is nothing 'bad' about them. I have a lot of packs, some are second hand and i've never had any problems with them but if you are at all concerned simply 'cleanse' them. (Now there's a new thread )
    When you go out to choose your cards take your time, look at as many packs as you can and you can ask at the counter to look at samples (most good shops will have a sample book.)
    I usually find myself drawn to one pack in particular and will repeatedly go back to look at it, when this happens i feel that that pack is the one for me but do it your own way you may like the images or the colours, usually something will stand out which will make you want to buy them. Please buy a notebook too.
    When you get them home open them and carefully look at each one, shuffle them, handle them then try to give yourself a reading.

Violet
    Admin

Female

Post  Violet on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Your First Reading

After a very thorough shuffling, I'd suggest a very basic layout to start, a three card spread (past, present and future) Select three cards in anyway you like but one at a time, I often draw the top middle and bottom cards from a new well shuffled pack.
    The first card you select represents the past, the second the present, and the third the future. Before you reach for the book....have a look at the first card, study the imagery closely does it mean anything to you, what is going on in the picture? Notice anything else are there any thoughts in your mind, are you getting any feelings from the picture, does it make you feel happy, sad or indifferent or something else? Do make a point of noting everything down, then move onto your second card and do the same and then the third card, you can spend as much time as you like with each card.
    When you have done, read what you have wrote did any of it make sense to you? Don't worry if not, but do keep it for future reference. You may now look at your book does any of what you wrote match anything in the book?
    Keep practicing this, and not just on yourself as friends and family are often willing to be guinea pigs. More to follow soon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm