PhotobucketWelcome to the new home of Spiritual Inspiration & The Healing Forum! Photobucket
PhotobucketRegister now for full access to our forum and chatroom!Photobucket
PhotobucketSpiritual Inspiration...The forum for seekers everywhere...Photobucket
PhotobucketOur chatroom is located at the foot of our homepage!Photobucket

The Effect of Irresponsible Reading

1antique
    Elite
    Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 3369
    Job/hobbies : Searching For The Truth
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

The Effect of Irresponsible Reading

Post  1antique on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:47 am

I work for a local delivery company. 

When making a delivery to a customer, his daughter answered the door. After barely saying hello to me, she said that I was going to drown. I joked back and forth with her about this, but she kept insisting that I was going to drown....no more detail, just that I was going to drown.

This was a spontaneous reading, which her father says she does frequently, and to ignore it. But, this happened about two years ago, and I am still apprehensive every time I drive past any bodies of water. I look at the water a remember what she said about me drowning, and am afraid I will end up in that water.

This is a very good example why, when giving a reading, care should be given on the content given and the way a reading is made. You never know how what you say may affect the other person.
    Crystal

Female
    Number of posts : 1247
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Re: The Effect of Irresponsible Reading

Post  Crystal on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

1antique wrote:I work for a local delivery company. 

When making a delivery to a customer, his daughter answered the door. After barely saying hello to me, she said that I was going to drown. I joked back and forth with her about this, but she kept insisting that I was going to drown....no more detail, just that I was going to drown.

This was a spontaneous reading, which her father says she does frequently, and to ignore it. But, this happened about two years ago, and I am still apprehensive every time I drive past any bodies of water. I look at the water a remember what she said about me drowning, and am afraid I will end up in that water.

This is a very good example why, when giving a reading, care should be given on the content given and the way a reading is made. You never know how what you say may affect the other person.
    Hear! Hear!

I get so many people that have been given information in a reading that has scared them witless or that lingers and ruins an aspect of their life. But it is very hard to put an idea back into the box. Once it is planted it just grows and grows and every time we think of it it grows more.

1antique the thing to do in your case it to stop feeding the thought. I know that isn't easy and you have made the decision to bring your discomfort of this reading to the attention of others, so that others might think, and learn, and take heed. That is a good thing to do.

Personally I think that the father was rather remiss of allowing his daughter to distress people like this. You have a level head and are intelligent and still the thought bugs you. Imagine if you were someone weaker.
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Never forget readings like that.   They can happen any day or night.

But in your case I feel that it will not happen.....Be happy!!!!!

mac

Male
    Number of posts : 3262
    Job/hobbies : retired
    Registration date : 2010-04-23

Post  mac on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:49 pm

In such a case it's not a reading in any sense of that word. 

It's likely to be the influence of a wayward, mischief-making or plain malicious discarnate who has found a way to use her to perhaps carry on in the way he used to when incarnate.  The daughter appears (from what you've outlined about her father's words) routinely to give such so-called spontaneous readings and sounds very much under outside control.  She needs the help of someone who understands what's going on and knows how teach the girl to switch off - always assuming the daughter would want that.  No small ask in any country and particularly difficult in the US where there are few centres where experienced mediums might be found to help.

It can e very upsetting and even with your background understanding you're still afraid there might be some truth in the prediction.  But all so-called readings - and especially so-called spontaneous ones - should always be treated with suspicion about their applicability until there are sound reasons to expect accuracy.
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal on Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:19 pm

I wonder, how old was the girl? Was she young or teenage or older? 

One of the counselling techniques frequently used is CBT and how to change the thoughts that certain situations, words or things etc create. it is our interpretation and reaction to something that, in this case the fear of drowning  (which is a natural fear but taken to a threat or promise)we cna change. By exploring the idea we can pick it to pieces and change our reaction. :
    1antique
    Elite
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful.

The girl who gave this 'reading' was in her early 20's, and had grown up in a wiccan household. 

I have known her father for years, but only met his daughter this one time. 

I agree that the father should take  more time with her and teach her correctly, instead of just letting her open up the way she does.

A mischievous spirit? That could be....especially if she decided to 'play around' with them at a younger age out of curiosity. 

Hmm....stop feeding the thought. That is something I have been trying to do, but when my route takes me alongside a river with no guard rails on a regular basis, that is not an easy thing to do.  :blush:. It is something I have been working on, though. 

It is funny, drowning is one thing that has never really bothered me that much. (Burning to death, on the other hand, really does)

Joanie, thank you. I don't think it will happen, either. but................  :blush:

mac

Male

Post  mac on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:54 am

1antique wrote:Thank you all for your responses. They have been very helpful.

The girl who gave this 'reading' was in her early 20's, and had grown up in a wiccan household. 

I have known her father for years, but only met his daughter this one time. 

I agree that the father should take  more time with her and teach her correctly, instead of just letting her open up the way she does.

A mischievous spirit? That could be....especially if she decided to 'play around' with them at a younger age out of curiosity. 

Hmm....stop feeding the thought. That is something I have been trying to do, but when my route takes me alongside a river with no guard rails on a regular basis, that is not an easy thing to do.  :blush:. It is something I have been working on, though. 

It is funny, drowning is one thing that has never really bothered me that much. (Burning to death, on the other hand, really does)

Joanie, thank you. I don't think it will happen, either. but................  :blush:
    Let us reflect that a person in her 20s is a young adult and parental influence is unlikely now to change her - it was likely anyway to have been responsible for how she now is. 

With her wiccan upbringing she has presumably been subjected to influences that have left her believing she can foretell events. She might be able to but more likely is that she can't.  Even if she could then she shouldn't do it in the way she did - ever. 

She shows a callous, uncaring attitude predicting someone's death.  That would be totally unacceptable in a mediumship setting and an experienced medium might offer counselling if there were no way to otherwise deliver such a message. 

She deserves to be put in her place but is that likely?  I suspect not.  In this world certain individuals will keep pulling such stunts, emboldened every time they do not get rebuffed and put firmly in their place.
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:08 pm

She shows a callous, uncaring attitude predicting someone's death.  That would be totally unacceptable in a mediumship setting and an experienced medium might offer counselling if there were no way to otherwise deliver such a message.

Why mediumship? Why not any reader or psychic or clairvoyant? I don't get the feeling that any spirit or medium would ever give this message, I know I wouldn't. 

mac

Male

Post  mac on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Crystal wrote:

Why mediumship? Why not any reader or psychic or clairvoyant? I don't get the feeling that any spirit or medium would ever give this message, I know I wouldn't. 
    Why mediumship?  Because mediumship provides communication from a discarnate and not from the psyche of the practitioner. (of whatever sort)

A psychic isn't a medium. Clairvoyant is an adjective or noun implying clear-seeing; the sense I'm used to is 'clairvoyant medium'.  (Was it on this website that we had this discussion/debate recently?) 

A reputable medium would never deliver a message in the way we heard about.  If such details were to come from a spirit-side communicator perhaps one to warn, counsel or offer help they might be of value PROVIDED THAT they were delivered with care and checked out for context.  For example someone who sails a boat might be counselled that they need to take more care to avoid the risk of drowning because of identified reasons such as their lacking sailing skills which might put him into danger.

But a so-called reading of the sort dropped on the hapless 1antique in the way it was is NEVER, EVER, EVER acceptable from ANY kind of practitioner.  Any individual who thinks it is the right way needs to think again.

Last edited by mac on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
    kardecian

Male
    Number of posts : 249
    Job/hobbies : Funeral Service
    Registration date : 2013-06-20

Post  kardecian on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:04 pm

Readings MAY happen and CAN happen. But, we are in the driver's seat.  Readings can be warnings also. So, take care... take the warning. You are doing what you SHOULD be doing, and that is being cautious.  You can change the outcome of a reading by taking action.
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:24 pm

A psychic isn't a medium. Clalrvoyant is an adjective or noun implying clear-seeing; the sense I'm used to is 'clairvoyant medium'.  (Was it on this website that we had this discussion/debate recently?)

Yeah yeah, but a medium is a psychic. I don't recall any recent debate? To me clairvoyant does not necessarily have anything to do with spirit or mediumship. A psychic can be a clairvoyant and 'see' things.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Crystal wrote:
    A psychic isn't a medium. Clalrvoyant is an adjective or noun implying clear-seeing; the sense I'm used to is 'clairvoyant medium'.  (Was it on this website that we had this discussion/debate recently?)

Yeah yeah, but a medium is a psychic. I don't recall any recent debate? To me clairvoyant does not necessarily have anything to do with spirit or mediumship. A psychic can be a clairvoyant and 'see' things.
    Yeah, yeah a poodle is a dog but is a dog a poodle?  A medium is psychic (adjective) but a psychic (noun) isn't (necessarily) a medium. 

If we didn't have a discussion here it was on one of my other websites. 

We have the old problem of definitions.  I learned in a UK Spiritualist setting.  In Modern Spiritualism a medium is someone who acts as a go-between, facilitating communication between the incarnate and the discarnate worlds.  A medium is psychic and uses her attributes to bring about transdimensional communication.  It commonly used to be via clairvoyant mediumship (medium sees the communicator) or clairaudient mediumship (medium hears the communicator) or a combination of those two.  Clairvoyant and clairaudient (by themselves) are sometimes used as shorthand for clairvoyant or clairaudient mediums - in Spiritualism. 

Years ago I asked what people mean when they use these terms.  Some insisted that a psychic is the same as a medium but in the philosophy and religion of Spiritualism there is a difference.  It makes interchange difficult when words have different usage.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:07 pm

kardecian wrote:Readings MAY happen and CAN happen. But, we are in the driver's seat.  Readings can be warnings also. So, take care... take the warning. You are doing what you SHOULD be doing, and that is being cautious.  You can change the outcome of a reading by taking action.
    Readings need context as in the example I gave.  You may feel you're in the driving seat but without knowing which road you're on, or which road you should be following or avoiding, any well-intentioned warning is of little value. 

Caution is well and good if you know what you need to be cautious about and why.  For a reading to have value it has to come from a reader who has shown (s)he may be trusted.
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Mac, I would be interested in where you had the discussion, perhaps you might pm me?

Love that lesson in English, wish more would understand as you do.

mac

Male

Post  mac on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:56 pm

Crystal wrote:Mac, I would be interested in where you had the discussion, perhaps you might pm me?

Well, thanks, but it wasn't intended as a lesson. :asmile:   I was only trying to explain why I see a difference but I accept that others disagree.  As for the discussion, I had thought it was here but I write on other websites so it must have been elsewhere.  I do find I forget rather more easily now that I used to!
    Crystal

Female

Post  Crystal on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:18 pm

mac wrote:
    Crystal wrote:Mac, I would be interested in where you had the discussion, perhaps you might pm me?

Well, thanks, but it wasn't intended as a lesson. :asmile:   I was only trying to explain why I see a difference but I accept that others disagree.  As for the discussion, I had thought it was here but I write on other websites so it must have been elsewhere.  I do find I forget rather more easily now that I used to!
    No, the lesson was a good reminder, clear, concise and not at all condescending. Oh dear, that last bit of mine sounds exactly that, but it wasn't meant to be.
    Hmm methinks I will have to go google Mac and see what I come up with in the way of other websites. I loves a good discussion!
    Violet
    Admin
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24254
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:23 am

Perhaps this young girl simply gave the message as she saw it and due to inexperience/carelessness she took it out of context or recieved only part of the message, often it can feel as though life itself and the worries and concerns which come with it can indeed make us feel we are drowning, perhaps this was what she was clumsily trying to convey, all that said it is  true her father should have reined her in.

Please don't let this incident prey on your mind, i've heard of things like this before, many times and not once have I known such a message to come true.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    1antique
    Elite
    Elite

Male

Post  1antique on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 am

Thank you, Violet. I know that it should be something that is ignored, but, once the thought is in the mind, it is difficult to remove.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:17 am