Samhain / Pagan New Year

Athena Rowan Dawn

Female
    Number of posts : 65
    Job/hobbies : Spiritual teacher and angel worker
    Registration date : 2014-10-20

Samhain / Pagan New Year

Post  Athena Rowan Dawn on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 pm

So what are other Pagans doing to celebrate or mark Samhain this week?
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24258
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Re: Samhain / Pagan New Year

Post  Violet on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 pm

I'm not Pagan, but I'm very interested in it, what will you be doing can you share?:bfs:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Athena Rowan Dawn

Female

Post  Athena Rowan Dawn on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, we do the trick or treat part of it, mostly for the children. They carve or decorate a pumpkin that becomes the centrepiece for our Hallowe'en window along with other spooky decorations. They get a few Hallowe'en treats and we give sweets or small trinkets to trick or treaters. My children like to get dressed up to answer the door and my son likes trick or treating himself, though I only let him go to houses we know.

I use the seeds out of the pumpkin for a ritual to bring luck and fortune throughout the year to come. I place them in a bowl, and surround the bowl with 5 white or orange candles. It's a spell I read a number of years ago now, but it's quick and simple to do so I carry on the tradition. You visualise golden/white light showering down upon your household and loved ones. Then light the candles, saying 9 times (I say it in my head, some may prefer aloud) "All that is good on this All Hallows' Eve, will shower us all with this magic I weave."

I also light candles for my passed over loved ones, and I make a witch's ladder out of ribbons - it's basically weaving the strands together while repeating your intentions for the year in your head or aloud. I find this one is better done when I can concentrate, so I will do it later on after trick or treat time is over, because it doesn't work as well if I'm distracted by listening out for the door. The ribbons each represent a quality you want to bring to your life that year. I did this practice for a couple of years consistently and saw the things I had intended at least partially manifested - the first year I did it, everything manifested perfectly. I didn't do it last year because I wasn't "feeling" Pagan practices and rituals at the time, and I have had a quite chaotic, busy, tiring year. Though I do realise that is probably mostly coincidence and thought creating reality, I will be trying not to skip it again. This one I learned from a friend, some years back.

I never know whether to class myself as a very eclectic Pagan or as interfaith, because I have beliefs and practices that are more to do with other religions or the New Age movement as well, such as working with angels. I tend to find that in the dark half of the year I identify more as Pagan and in the light half of the year I identify more as interfaith.
    Violet
    Admin

Female
    Number of posts : 24258
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post  Violet on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks for sharing, its interesting, ive never heard of anyone using the pumpkin seeds but what a good thing to do with them, aside from the trick or treat id love to be a fly on the wall it all sounds  lovely, I use ribbons for readings but never for anything like that, I know they can be used for spells though, thamk you:bfs:

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.
    Crystal

Female
    Number of posts : 1247
    Job/hobbies : Counsellor - Crystals,Tarot, Reiki and animal healing
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post  Crystal on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:54 pm

It is a special day for us and pumpkins everywhere, this year I even baked pumpkin fairy cakes, a burning ash fire and lots of singing :)
    Onyx

Female
    Number of posts : 44
    Job/hobbies : Photography, Sales Person, Reading, Living
    Registration date : 2014-11-01

Post  Onyx on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Awww sounds lovely, its just me and my son at home so we do the trick and treating thing too, once he has gone to bed I meditate and cleanse myself and our home!
    SpiritVoices

Female
    Number of posts : 13312
    Job/hobbies : Retired
    Registration date : 2010-12-17

Post  SpiritVoices on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:09 pm

There is a member on here whose username is Norseman.  Hasn't been on here in a while.   He would enjoy your posts.   He uses to be on the site,Spiritual Forums.
    Wonder if I can track him down?
    Athena Rowan Dawn

Female

Post  Athena Rowan Dawn on Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm sure if he's meant to be here right now he will find his way. :)

I would love the recipe for pumpkin fairy cakes! The main reason why I use the pumpkinseeds for a spell is to at least re-use them in some way before throwing them away. Part of being Pagan is about respecting nature and avoiding a "throwaway" attitude; we have tried toasted pumpkin seeds and also pumpkin soup so we can also use the pumpkin in a meal as well as carving a lantern with it, but nobody in our house likes either.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 pm